The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » P Duffie Scotland Up Close (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Just released ! 80 pages, 110 photos for 26 card routines. The first review is welcomed !
http://www.peterduffie.com

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Looking forward to getting this.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I just had a glance and tried out some of the effects especially Roy Walton's ones, I thinked it's awesome. This effect I am truly enjoy. Smile - I thought there are so many other effects also very excellent and practical.

Will post the review as soon as I finish reading the ebook.

Get this ebook from http://www.peterduffie.com Smile

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Andrew, I look forward to reading your comments. Wish I had a little more cash right now.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I would also be interested in a review!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Hey Andrew, any closer to a review? Smile
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Reviews
======

================================
Title: Scottish Up Close
Format: Ebook
Pages: 81
Price: £15 ($24.95)
File Size: 1.19MB
Compiled & Edited by: Peter Duffie
Available from: http://www.peterduffie.com
================================

I am very excited about the new ebook just came out recently as I am a big fan of Scottish card magic. As soon as I read the descriptions which the number of contributors involved in this ebook such as Peter Duffie, Roy Walton, George McBride, Euan Bingham, etc and other contributors, this ebook has really made me eager and excited to read all the effects.

Just read the names of the contributors and the descriptions of the contents, so, in my mind, my instinct tells me that this ebook is a "gem".

Without elaborating too much, let me review each of the effects as shown following:

===================

Autograph Hunter (Roy Walton)
-----------------------------

Effect:
=======

Roy causes a spectator's signature to jump from one card to another. You'll love this!

- This particular effect has added in my list as the effect itself is practical and the reaction of this effect if you try to spectator, it's just visual and has the great element of surprise. I like this effect very much!

The Hands of a Surgeon (Gordon Bruce)
-------------------------------------

Effect:
=======

Gordon compels an unwitting spectator to cut to the four Aces. It's not often Gordon publishes material, so this is a real treat.

- This is a very nice version of spectator cuts to the four Aces which used suspense in the presentation.

The ESP Shuffle (Gavin Ross)
----------------------------

Effect:
=======

In this first routine, Gavin creates an incredible coincidence with an ESP deck despite the cards being mixed by a spectator.

- This effect is easy and self-working. Just follow the steps, and you will amaze this works every time. Though the spectator has the free choice of cutting, mixing and turning the cards.

Hot Flush (Gavin Ross)
----------------------

Effect:
=======

In this 2nd routine, a randomly cut deck results in a Royal Flush in Spades!

- This is effect is very easy and the effect at the ending, it's totally surprise. At first, it seems like you screw up the effect, but in the end, you produce Royal Flush in Spades! I like this kind of effect especially has the element of suspense.

Justice is Mine (Jim Boyd)
--------------------------

Effect:
=======

Jim explains how he deals from the Bottom - then he fools you!

- Exactly the effect sounds as above, you may want to read and try this out. Very clever!

Hofzinser 2001 (Peter McLanachan)
---------------------------------

Effect:
=======

Peter revisits the Hofzinser Ace Problem and dispenses with the deck, using only four Queens and a freely selected card.

- Another easy yet nice transposition effect. It's practical and I will perform this whenever I have the chance.

A Hobbit's Tale (Euan Bingham)
------------------------------

Effect:
=======

In this 1st routine, Euan vanishes the black Aces. When he tries to produce them again he finds the black Queens instead! This is no problem because the Queens suddenly change into the missing Aces. The black Queens are now found reversed in the middle of the deck.

- This is a nice transposition effect. There are 2 handlings for this effect. I like the way when the Aces vanish from the top as well as at the bottom of the pack one at a time. In the end, the Aces and Queens changed places.

Phantom Aces (Euan Bingham)
---------------------------

Effect:
=======

In this one, Euan causes Four signed aces to magically pass from inside a wallet to a deck of cards; he then makes the Aces travel from the deck back into the wallet. All without the use of duplicates or palming!!

- This effect requires you to use a very well-known wallet (can't tip the method here), in order of performing this effect. It's very nice especially the transposition of the cards taking place.

Diamond Snatch (Gary Middleton)
-------------------------------

Effect:
=======

Gary makes the four Kings magically rise to the top of the pack, one by one, in search of a Diamond haul - the last King finds it!

- This is a very nice effect, completes with nice patter and presentation. I think Gary's patter goes very well with the routines and spectator would definitely enjoy the routines as well.

King for a Day (Gary Middleton)

Effect:
=======

Gary loves the Hofzinser Ace problem; especially when the rest of the cards change to the mates of the selection. And this is precisely what happens here!

- Nice effect and visual, I like the Gary's idea of incorporating the Hofzinser Ace problem with element of surprise.

Captives of the Cranium (George McBride)
----------------------------------------

Effect:
=======

The is an impossible card discovery where one spectator helps find another spectator's card.

- This effect is very effective and I like this effect, there are some setup required and the effect is just brilliant as the effect stated above. There are no difficult sleight involved in this effect. I just love it.

Stebbins Prediction (George McBride)
------------------------------------

Effect:
=======

A terrific prediction effect where you will also admire the ingenius methodology!

- Well, I think George McBride really contributed this effect and is a true "gem" in here and I thought that this is a KILLER and worth the price of this ebook. I am sure you DEFINITELY love this and it KILLS people when you perform this effect.

Veeser Meets Steranko (George McBride)
--------------------------------------

Effect:
=======

A spectator cuts the deck and finds the four Aces. Just like that!

- Just as the effect stated above, this is another nice and neat version of spectator cuts to the Aces, the handling is different with other version of this which can be found in this ebook too.

Thanks to Collins (Steve Hamilton)
----------------------------------

Effect:
=======

A professional mind-bender from the late Steve Hamilton. Clever stuff.

- Another powerful routines here. It's just excellent and brilliant thinking. I just love this as soon as I read, tried this out and for those who loves restored card in lemon or sealed envelope, you will definitely love this one.

Big bank Hunt (Scotty Johnston)

Effect:
=======

A sandwich trick that fooled the a**e off me!

- This is a neat and nice version of card sandwich. At first, I thought the method is difficult to do but after I tried out, it's very clever and not so difficult to do. I would say the sandwich taking place is just very visual and very fast. This is my favourites.

Stranger (Richard James)
------------------------

Effect:
=======

Richard uses two Kings to cause the back of a freely selected card to change colour, then it changes back to normal again. You'll love the simple direct method here.

- Very nice and I love this. I am very surprise the method here as the effect is easy and practical. I would say if you like colour changing effect of a selection, I think you may like this and also one of my favourites.

Total Recall (Iain Girdwood)

Effect:
=======

Iain memorises the colour order of a deck of cards after it has been shuffled by a spectator. 100% every time. Combining a system with a principle, you really do memorise the cards!

- I have spent huge amount of time and try to understand the principle which applicable in this unique effect. At first, it was difficult to understand the principle but as you keep on reread it a number of times, you will soon understand the principle. I am extremely surprise that Iain came up this amazing principle. It's not really difficult to understand it.

- After you understand the princple, I would say it's a KILLER as the above effect stated. I think the principle is very useful and maybe can be applied to other effects. Excellent!

New Wave Oil & Water (Val Le-Val)
---------------------------------

Effect:
=======

Val's lovely Oil & Water routine using cards with O & W printed on them. So easy, yet so effective.

- As soon as I read the effect, immediately I tried this effect out and I would like to say, it's just excellent. As the effect does not used any heavy sleight of hand and the effect you actually will use in your performance.

- This effect also added in my list as it's a packet trick. I showed this to my friends even though I did it in a very slow manner, but still managed to fool them. I carry these cards in my card wallet and if friends request me to perform a trick, I definitely perform this one. Brilliant!

Walkaround (David Walsh)
------------------------

Effect:
=======

David tips his full walk-around card routine - a lot happens! Ambitious Card / Repeat Card to Pocket / Deck to Pocket / Card in Wallet. A 4 minute entertainment.

- As the effect above said it all, the routines are well-constructed and also with the nice flow of each of the routines or effects. Excellent routines!

Eight of Two Kings (David Forrest)
----------------------------------

Effect:
=======

David presents a showy production of Four Kings and the Four Aces appear as a stunning kicker!

- I always love cards production whatever Kings, Aces, etc. For this one, I just like the way Dave's thinking behind of the production of four Aces and Kings. I am sure you will love this as soon as you read the method. I also enjoyed Dave's patter in this effect.

Skinned (David Forrest)
-----------------------

Effect:
=======

A selected card appears folded inside a packet of cigarette papers....in a flash!

- Based on what I read, I think David has came up a neat idea of causing selected card in a packet of cigarette papers. Though I haven't tried it out yet, but I think the idea or effect is very cool.

Finishing Touch (Peter Duffie)
------------------------------

Effect:
=======

Peter allows a spectator to choose any four cards at random - then he changes them visibly into four-of-a-kind as they are dealt to the table - or onto a spectator's hand!

- This is my favourites, as the effect at first spectator randomly chooses four cards and you instantly cause the random cards change into four Aces as you deal them on spectator's hand. Very nice and clean.

52 Minus 1 (Peter Duffie)
-------------------------

Effect:
=======

A demonstration of psychic powers where only the audience touch the deck.

- I think you will love this and try this out. This is my favorites.

Thinking Cap (R. Paul Wilson)

Effect:
=======

Paul lets a spectator just think of a card, then he finds it - no set-ups, and no difficult sleights!

- Just as the effect stated above, well, for those who likes to reveal thought of card kind of effects, then this is for you.

ConCam Cards (R. Paul Wilson)

Effect:
=======

Paul's rendition of the classic Cards Across. Three cards travel from one packet to another, despite both packets being enclosed inside envelopes. No Palming! But if you like Palming, Paul offers a method with that, too.

- This is a nice version of cards across effect. I like the thinking behind of this effect. This is added into my list. I simply like this after I read this effect.

L.K.D. Monte (Dave Robertson)

Effect:
=======

Dave places a Queen between the two red Aces. So, the Queen is in the middle? No it's not. An easy and deceptive move that will enhance any 3-Card Monte routine.

- Yes, I truly agree with the above effect stated as after I read and tried out the move, it's very fooling and effective. This move it's valuable to add into your card Monte effect. I can see that this move alone can be applied into many areas. Awesome!

===================

Ratings: 9.5/10

=================== <End of Review>

In a nutshell, I am really enjoyed this ebook very much as there are a number of effects I immediately added into my act. There are many wonderful effects in this ebook to explore. On top of that, the contents and the presentation of the ebook is awesome and fully illustrated. It's a great and nice collection of card effects in this single ebook.

I highly recommended!

Best Wishes,
Andrew Loh

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Thanks a lot for your review!!!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Thank you very much for the review. It cleared a few things up for me and now it's going to be a definite purchase.

Thanks again.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Great review ! P Duffie should publish it on his site !!

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Hi calexa, cfrancis and mago,

Thanks guys for your kind words. Smile

Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Well, I finally purchased this and man is it good. There are a lot of gems in here. And some great card moves that I have never seen before (although that's not saying much).

Two of my favorites so far (and I haven't read everything yet) are Stranger and Peter Duffie's first effect: A visually stunning four ace production. If you love card magic, you will love this book.
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
This ebook is great! Was one of the first to have it. Well besides those who contributed to it. All the material in here is great. No fillers. My personal favorite is Roy Walton's effect Autograph Hunter. I've put it into my act and have gotten great reactions. I also use some of the other effects as well. Great stuff in here. A must for the serious card worker.
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Agree with you guys! But, I just don't have any idea how George McBride's Stebbin Prediction, he can thinked out the incredible idea of this awesome effect Smile

Yes, Peter's 2 effects are my favourites, recently I perform Peter's FInishing Touch, the reaction from spectator is just great! Awesome!

Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I haven't played with the Stebbins Prediction yet. Been too busy to arrange a deck. But I will do that soon. I also love the sandwich effect. And the diamond haul trick is fantastic.
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Must give a try to the Stebbins Prediction effect, it's a killer! Smile

Andrew

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
kadz
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of kadz
Quote:
On 2005-10-16 21:15, Andrew Loh wrote:
I just had a glance and tried out some of the effects especially Roy Walton's ones, I thinked it's awesome. This effect I am truly enjoy. Smile - I thought there are so many other effects also very excellent and practical.

Andrew

But from your review, there's only 1 Roy Walton effect
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
It looks interesting, sure a next buy
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Kadz,

Yes, it is! Smile

Quote:
On 2005-11-22 18:06, kadz wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-10-16 21:15, Andrew Loh wrote:

Andrew

But from your review, there's only 1 Roy Walton effect

www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
delta
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of delta
Great review I m waiting for it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » P Duffie Scotland Up Close (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL