The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Trying to delay applause (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I am almost finished with Barrie Richardson's Act Two book, (which is EXCELLENT, btw) and in a lot of the routines, he recommends that the performer raise a hand to try to delay the applause. Even after a climax in the routine, or even when the trick appears to be over, he instructs that you should lift a hand to have the audience hold their applause, and then at the VERY end of the trick, or even after the trick is over and the performer then gives a final thought, or recites a poem, etc., then and only then to cue the applause. I wonder why this is? Do you think it makes for louder applause later? Does the audience build in anticipation, and by making them hold off, they'll applaud more readily and longer at a later time? To me, if a trick has multiple phases with several startling revelations and the audience wants to applaud each time, I let them unless it somehow would take away drastically from the flow of the routine. I'm curious on everyone else's thoughts on this. Thanks!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
There's been several posts regarding applause, the lack of it, audience applauding too soon, and even too much! In fact the last similar post I read was about the audience applauding too much according to the poster. Some will argue that there is no such thing as too much applause and why not allow the audience to express their approval and appreciation for your work.

I think no matter how good or deserving of applause, some entertainers can separate the obligatory with the heart-felt applause. I haven't read Richardson's book so I'm not commenting on it but merely expressing what I'd think in that situation. Nor am I suggesting what he may think of an audience and their applause - I can't speak for him.

If I personally were signaled to hold my applause (especially in the middle of applause) It would certainly catch my attention and INTRIGUE me. First of all it's extremely rare to have applause interrupted, delayed, or even refused. If anything, an audience is accustomed to dishin' out too much of it anyway.

At that moment of being signaled to hold applause, my immediate impression would be that THERE IS MORE TO COME? I might wonder if I've underestimated the situation. I'm sure Richardson, as a pro, comes across as understanding and appreciative of his audience's applause (hand/facial gestures and any words prior) but really engages them when he signals *STOP and keep watching*. One or two of those moments and I'd be offering the loudest and boisterous applause when the time was right say at the finale?

Sure would build up the moment much like that Romco CEO on television. You've heard him: "Wait! That's not all!!!!!....you also get.....Wait! That's not all!!!!!....you also get...."

Nothing worse than applauding just because a performer throws arms up and out as if to say "ta da!". And the worse is the performer who signlas audience to applaud because they haven't done so. Hey if your having to dig that hard and prompt me for the applause you'll make me wish I was somewhere else.

I'm intrigued to know Richardson's reason behind this as well jkvand. I'll get a copy as your opinion and reviews I've read say great things about him and his work.

Let's see what others might think of this.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
I hope Todd Robbins who has lately been popping in and out could give his views on this.

He is an absolute master at controlling an audience and its applause. Quite as impressive as the stunts themselves.

Jack Shalom
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Does he mention his watch-modification for his awesome "What Time Is It"? I love the idea of using a recognizable brand of watch for the effect. This sounds like one of those effects that you can truly carry with you at all times. Particularly useful when you don't have any goodies on ya and don't care to do a trick with borrowed deck or coins.

I don't normally wear a watch but would do so for this purpose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Trying to delay applause (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL