The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Film scores again!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Just got the word that DEN won BEST FEATURE FILM at the San Francisco Underground Film Festival. Although I did rant about it on a previous post, I'll take an award wherever I can get it.
For those keeping count:
BEST DRAMATIC FEATURE at Hollywood Underground Film Festival
BEST FEMALE ACTOR at the MELBOURNE UNDERGROUND FILM FESTIVAL was won by our lead actress, DANA J RYAN, for her role in DEN.
BEST ACTOR at the NEW YORK CITY HORROR FESTIVAL was once again won by DANA J RYAN for her brilliant work in DEN as Cassandra.
And now BEST FEATURE FILM at the San Francisco Underground Film Festival.

The DEN killing machine keeps making its own path.

Greg Arce
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Greg,
Good for you Smile
May these be only the first on many more to come your way.
Ted (Leondo)
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Smile Den
Smile Den
Smile Den

Smile Congratulations Greg Smile

Smile I hope the machine continues on Smile

Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
For the continuing adventures... uh, misadventures:

http://unseenfilms.blogspot.com/2014/01/den-2001_13.html

Greg
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Congratulations Greg!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Well done, Greg. Congratulations!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I guess, thanks, but you guys are not reading the story. This original thread was years ago. Since then I went through all the lawsuits talked about in the story. I didn't know where else to place this so I found this old thread. Maybe it's best I start a new thread.

Greg
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
You've had our sympathy for the backstory. I interpreted your OP here as a positive moment in an otherwise sordid tale.

Congratulations on your award, even if bittersweet.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2014-01-14 03:03, Greg Arce wrote:
For the continuing adventures... uh, misadventures:

http://unseenfilms.blogspot.com/2014/01/den-2001_13.html

Greg

It doesn't seem too much like continuing misadventures, just a recap of a sad history. It appears from the story that you have given up on pursuing legal action. True? Is so, too bad.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Yeah, I went through a handful of lawyers and nothing came of it. Each lawyer would start with a positive outlook then after leading me on for awhile would suddenly turn the case down. I ended up going bankrupt doing everything I did to try and sell the film and pursue the law case.

I was just surprised when this reporter approached me out of the blue and was interested in the case again. He had been at the first festival we played at and seemed interested in finding out what happened.

Greg
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Wow, Greg! I feel for you. Bunch of scumbags! That's about a blatant as it gets. And for those of us who have had a similar experience: Unless you are independently wealthy, legal help is very seldom on the side of the good guys.

I'm sure you and I could share some amazing stories of being cheated ... you in the film and theater industry, and me in the music business.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Arthur, I'm sure we could fill up books. People don't realize that in the real world David usually gets stomped on by Goliath. The reason you read stories about David winning is that they are the rarity so it makes for a good story. More than likely the guy with the big bucks wins. C'est la vie!

Greg
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
The gentleman that wrote the article came onto my Facebook page to say this:

Robert Melville: So where to begin with all this. Btw I'm the one that wrote the article. Honestly I'm blown away by the response on it. I've heard from so many people in what has only been 2 days, that are just shocked over the story.

I did a little promoting on twitter, and it somehow turned into 40,000 page views...an article on Reddit...and I heard today that a horror podcast is going to be discussing the article this weekend. Crazy.

I reached out to Greg, because I genuinely enjoyed DEN and felt as though he got a bum rap. It had nothing to do with being against the guys from SAW. Which I guess some "fans" have accused me of. But I was expecting that.

The general consensus has been very positive though. Greg is a true standup guy and I couldn't be happier that his name & film are getting out there. In some form at least.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well ... maybe today's social media will bring about some sort of positive ending.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2014-01-15 19:06, balducci wrote:
Well ... maybe today's social media will bring about some sort of positive ending.

I hope your prediction comes true.

Greg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It will come true, Greg. In the end I predict that you will be vindicated and recognized for your film.

And it will be well deserved.

Good thoughts and Good Luck-

Bob
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
In the article, you say that you would be happy to be reimbursed for just your costs of around $100,000. That may be your problem. A lawyer wants a percentage and they'll want a much bigger percentage than that.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2014-01-16 09:36, rockwall wrote:
In the article, you say that you would be happy to be reimbursed for just your costs of around $100,000. That may be your problem. A lawyer wants a percentage and they'll want a much bigger percentage than that.

Well, that's what I'm saying now. In the beginning I just let the lawyers handle it. That's just my feeling right now after all the years I've been through it. And it's $150,000 that I lost with the whole project. I'm sure the lawyers were trying to ask or get something much higher.

The only reason I state that now is that I'm pretty honest about the situation. I don't want to bleed anyone of their funds. I just want to be made whole. Put back to square one would be fine by me. I know others would just try to make this into a cash cow, but I would just want to be paid back exactly what I put into it. Sure, if they gave me more that would be great, but I tend not to be greedy.

Greg
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Where were these lawyers of yours located? Do you think some or many begged off because if they took your case, they would lose business from big players in the industry?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6417 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Oh, and I forgot to mention: Only the lawyers at the time new about the lowest I would go. They all asked what would be the minimum I would take to go away and I said that price. Of course, they all told me to keep it to myself at the time.

So they knew starting out my lowest price and they took the case, but explained that I should not tell that to anyone. I didn't. It's been almost ten years now so I think I can state exactly what I was thinking. I did understand the lawyers would try to get more and were going to take a good chunk out of that, too.

Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My Film scores again!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL