The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls ending (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Auke Van Dokkum has created a three cup stack that does exactly that. I think it was a prototype when I saw it at the IBM convention. It's basically one cup that's machined to look exactly like three stacked cups.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 13:24, Christopher Williams wrote:
I agree Werner, and that is what happens in Jason Latimers routine, he produces 2 big glass balls, and then shows the cups to have no bottom as he stacks them on top of each other

Latimer's routine is much more complex than most realize. It is less related to the cups and balls than it is to the C&B's illegitimate cousin.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 23:08, Bill Palmer wrote:

.... It is less related to the cups and balls than it is to the C&B's illegitimate cousin.

I've never seen Jason Latimers C&Bs, so you beat me on that...any hint what the cousins name is ?
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
There is a magician in Japan who produces a beer bottle from three stacked cups. It is a real beer bottle too. I wont reveal the method, but It is done in a bar setting though.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Hey guys, watch it with that bottle production from the stack of cups. That's been the signature ending to Eric DeCamps' C&B routine for years, and he's our Guest of Honor this month. You might want to ask him about it.

The whole solid cup thing started with a routine with a solid wooden cone. Jeff Busby used to sell Larry Wolfsberger's routine, and it seemed to be the original. (I could have very likely misspelled his name)

Shigeo Takagi published his solid cup routine soon after. And then an interesting addition in which the final load ball reappeared inside the "solid" cup. I think this is described in the "Amazing Miracles of Shigeo Takagi".

Paul Harris raised the issue of using a familiar object that could natually be open or closed (i.e. "solid") in this routine. He says Looy Simonoff took him to a grocery store when the perfect solution hit him. Thus, "Uncanny" was born.

Michael Ammar reworked the routine, and christened it "Beenie Weenie" in "Encore 3".

People started making solid cups, and the search was on for the solid cup ending to a full C&B routine. The earliest published routine that I'm familiar with was John Mendoza's. He worked out an elegant way of switching in one solid cup. I think this was in the "Book of John: Verse 2".

The routines where all three cups are solid at the end are certainly effective for magicians' competitions. I don't know of anyone who uses such an ending for layfolk, although I defer to Shaw and Jason on that, of course.

It's an interesting question whether the solid cup ending adds much, and whether doing it with three cups is more effective than one for a lay audience. I tend to suspect that it does not, and is not. Played correctly, the solid ending is a shocking paradigm shift. Presented wrongly, it just seems really clever. I think the tight focus afforded by the single "cup" routine helps make this go the right way.

Tommy Wonder does both effects, but separates them. His C&B routine you probably know. His routine with the soup can is a little harder to find. It's worth looking for, however. His routine starts with him opening the can with a can opener. (!)

Maybe it would be better not the "guild the lilly" and save the solid thing effect for a different prop. That way, you've got two killer tricks instead of one. It's hard to beat Paul Harris' "Solid Deception" in this regard.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-18 07:19, Curtis Kam wrote:

Tommy Wonder does both effects, but separates them. His C&B routine you probably know. His routine with the soup can is a little harder to find.

Maybe not that hard?
Right out of memeory, it is in his *Tomnmy Wonder entertains*, the spiral bound booklet..
I'll check the shelf and will correct, if the above is wrong Smile

Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I think you're correct, Werner. But I've been told that booklet is hard to find.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Quote:
The whole solid cup thing started with a routine with a solid wooden cone. Jeff Busby used to sell Larry Wolfsberger's routine, and it seemed to be the original.

I think that his name was actually Gary Wolfsberger - not that it a makes a whole lot of difference.
"One arrow. One life."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Two points to the guy with the kangaroo. "Gary" does sound right, and I thank you for that, since it probably does matter to Mr. Wolfsberger.

Either of you guys know of an earlier reference? There's an interesting photo of Leo Horowitz standing by Dai Vernon (who's in a hospital bed, as I recall) and Horowitz is doing something with a squat cone that looks like it could be solid.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Either of you guys know of an earlier reference? There's an interesting photo of Leo Horowitz standing by Dai Vernon (who's in a hospital bed, as I recall) and Horowitz is doing something with a squat cone that looks like it could be solid.

Curtis, I could be wrong...but my understanding is that Horowitz was holding a lamp shade in that photo.

Mike
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-18 08:01, mike gallo wrote:

...Curtis, I could be wrong...but my understanding is that Horowitz was holding a lamp shade in that photo.

Mike
He was!
IIRC that picture once was in Genii.

KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Curtis,

You left out Loren Steinhauer as a pre curser to the solid cone. I believe he predates Gary Wolfsberger. Gary was a magic shop owner with his wife Paula in my neighborhood. He put out a nice routine with nice collection of props, but I believe Loren was first. His routine is found in his book Damm Good Tricks. It is also my undestanding that Gary is no longer with us.

Kirk
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 21:51, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Auke Van Dokkum has created a three cup stack that does exactly that. I think it was a prototype when I saw it at the IBM convention. It's basically one cup that's machined to look exactly like three stacked cups.

I didn't see that but I did see his 3 cups that nest together. The tollerances on the cups were such that one cup would gently sink onto the other cup, if I'm not mistaken. Quietly turning 3 cups into just 1.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Actually thinking back, I probably saw it at WMS. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I think it was actually three cut out cups spun together so they would rattle as if they were all separate. But I could have just imagined it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 08:01, mike gallo wrote:

Curtis, I could be wrong...but my understanding is that Horowitz was holding a lamp shade in that photo.

Mike

Lampshade? That's hilarious. It never occurred to me that it might have been something in the room. Or was Leo the sort of party animal who would bring a lampshade with him?
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Jeff Busby wrote the following in THAUMATURGIST #33 (January-March 1993):

"Many magicians have offered variations on the 'solid container' premise since it was first introduced by Lawrence Steinhauer as a takeoff on the Cone & Ball in 1973."
"One arrow. One life."
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Excellent research, John. Somehow, I never managed to get a full set of Thaumaturgist. Nor Arcane, nor....well, you know.

I suppose we can consider this information reliable?
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1805 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 17:37, Pete Biro wrote:
I think it would be cool to nest stack all three cups... then lift 'em up and find something tall, like a beer bottle under 'em.

Sometime back in the mid 70's I took 3 of Ravel's Super Cups (aluminum), sawed up 2 of them, and then fitted it all together to look like a stack. I then switched them in at the end and revealed a tall load. It's been so long ago that I'm not sure if I read this idea somewhere or just came up with it like others may have.

But...I was not convinced that it was that great because the stack was the same height and there was no real illusion in my opinion.

I have not seen anyone else perform this, so if you have seen this type of production, I am interested to know if I was wrong in my interpretation.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Sounds good to me Terry, though, 1 or 2 separate cups being switched is difficult enough, let alone a complete stack. Maybe if anyone knows Bob Read, they could ask him
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls ending (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL