The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cool Box for close up (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
378 Posts

Profile of Bill
Thought you guys might want to this check out. Hallmark is having a promotion. If you buy three greeting cards (any old kind) you can buy a box that looks simalar to Book of Spells. It looks like an ancient spell book, but is titled "Spells, Potions and Cteepy Concoctions. It's designed to put candy in, but it makes a great box for your close up. Pretty good size too. About 13" x 10" x 4". I bought two. BTW they're $9.99 each.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Yes it does have that "bizarre" appeal. Many possible uses for the "mystery entertainer". Check it out at http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/store......n=stores

:bat:

:devilish:

;)
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Thanks for the tip...it looks cool
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Yes, thanks. I just had to get one.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Sweeeeet! Thanks for the heads up!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
679 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Is it available in the UK?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Bill:

My wife brought one of these home last week and it's really incredible. She will not, however, let me rig the hallway table and new 'book' as a "Living Hand" illusion for Halloween! Smile
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I saw this in the Sunday paper, in an ad.
Somehow I forgot about it, so thanks for the reminder.
I'll probably rip out the talking chip though and use it elsewhere.. or try to figure out how to rerecord my own material on it - normally it's just a matter of finding which pins to short or connect to a mic.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
I just got one of these and have to say that Leland is not exaggerating. It is awesome ! It's big and beautiful. Very well made. Hard to believe it is priced so low. Just go in and buy 3 Hallmark cards (even for $0.99 each). And $9.99 for the box. I'll have to get another.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Argh! its not cool, its from sappy, sobby, sweet, nice, cute, cuddly HALLMARK!

:)
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Gede:

C'mon! You never saw the "Talking Tina" episode of Twilight Zone? Even "sweet, nice, cute" things from Hallmark may hold dark, scary, unpleasant secrets!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-18 20:22, Gede Nibo wrote:
Argh! its not cool, its from sappy, sobby, sweet, nice, cute, cuddly HALLMARK!

How better to hide a dark spell than in a Hallmark card?

How better to hide true evils than within Hallmark box?

Why yes it is, cute huh? Smile
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
No one Has to know that it is a Hallmark. It would make all the difference to what you put in it, and how it is presented.
Baba, I have no doubt that you could come up with many great ideas once you see this.
I'm sure that "Vo DU Ma gick- the Book" would be able to use a prop like this. Once you see it, you will change your mind. It really isn't "cute, sweet, sappy or cuddly", unless you just put candy in it. Smile

"It is our nature to fear a dark purpose in that which we do not understand. But true evil may lay more in ignorance, than in suspicion." from The Outer Limits

;)
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I got mine tonight ! It's pretty cool, right down my alley !
Even more interesting is the nature of that sound byte box that's in it.
At first, I figured it was a pressure switch, but closer examination revealed the cover doesn't even have to close all the way to reset the box.
Next, I figured, it must be photo-optic, so I took it in my bathroom with the lights out (at night), closed the bathroom door, and opened the book expecting to hear nothing.
But I did ! I tried it again - photo-optics was not the answer.
So what then triggered this thing ? Could it be magnetic ?
I opened the book and held a Bat up to it.. you know, that kind of Bat Smile
Sure enough, the sound cut off instantly. I moved the Bat away and back and the sound retriggered. Cool !
This thing is triggered by a magnetic field ! There must be a magnet hidden in the front cover, in the top right corner.
Think about the implications of THAT guys ! Maybe a little PK ?
I also want to rip the sound box out and see if I can't figure out how to reprogram it.
Usually it's a matter of shorting two pins on the chip together with a jumper wire, and hooking up a microphone.. the hard part is figuring out which pins go to what.
If that works, I'll have a recorder/player that's magnetically triggered, one that can record anything I want, or a series of anything I want, within the time limit of course.
"Sounds" promising to me... even if just for a Halloween prop of some kind.
Two for the price of .. one half ! w00t
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Keep us posted, Mystician, please! I think I will experiment with mine a bit, too. One simple idea might be a spirit bell effect using the little sound box, assuming it is possible to record on top of the existing sound. This thing has a lot of possibilities!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3045 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 22:08, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

How better to hide a dark spell than in a Hallmark card?

How better to hide true evils than within Hallmark box?

That's why I keep all my props in a Hello Kitty box.

(Okay, I don't really, but I have certainly been tempted.)

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Hello Kitty brings its own brand of sinister. Try changing the eyes from round to more catlike. Smile

http://www.sanriotown.com/onlinegame/index.php?s=world

Spookey places, especially if you are wearing your mouse ears.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Ha I just stumbled across some genre of Goth that uses ummm...modified Hello Kitty logos. Imagine the "B" movie type fun you could have with a possessed Hello Kitty!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Clifford, can we get a link to see what those Goth folks are up to?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Cool Box for close up (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL