We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Association of Escape Artists? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Equity has its own spur within to cover Spec / Circus acts etc.
As a Union this is not what is being talked over here, to control the moral ideals and mutual respect expected between each other as brother or sister ea can not be Policed, but as individuals as Ian wrote we know who is who and who to trust or mistrust etc etc.

I have been let down by Pro and am alike, I deal with them in the way they dealt me, I may have been bitten by some in the past but once bitten twice shy.

The Internet hides all with everyone in the position of living the lie, eventually ones sins can be checked out,,,,,,the seasoned busy pro, who isn`t, the dare devil who has never made an escape in their lives,,,etc etc.
Regarding a few people who didn`t seem to gell, well a phone call or two to their area will explain all,,,,so we can all with a little effort sort out the chalk from the cheese.

Its all a persnal kind of thing which prevails to some extent throughout life, so to live and learn is the only way to be,,,,,,,but you can`t live other`s lives or morals for them.

Now turn your Hyme books to page 666 so we can all sing together,,,Please Release Me Let Me Go.

Sorry the surmon is now over.

Ken.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3404 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Watch out Clyde. Ken's coming for your Paster hat. Smile
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Hehe Ros, he can fill my hat but I will never fill his shoes. Smile

Clyde
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
When it comes to groups, clubs, and organizations, I am a recent abstainer from such things. Fellowship does not really require taking an oath, pledge, or renewing a subscription, its people liking something enough to stay in contact with it, as well as staying in contact with other people who share in that interest.
True, at one time I was a member of the S.A.M., but I came to realize I didn't really NEED it to still love magic and be in touch with other magic enthusiasts. I have no choice about belonging to a union where I work as that's part of my employment agreement.
As Groucho would say; "I have no interest in joining any club that would have me as a member".
Shazam
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Shazam
Come on everyone! A great idea will never get off the ground if people don't get involved. This is one really great idea!!!!! Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4741 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I've read this entire topic and the one that Harry has pointed out and I believe this idea is one that should be explored...but carefully.

Before I continue with my thoughts on the subject, I probably should qualify my postion here - afterall, why should any of you listen to me? Smile

First, I have been in the magical arts for over 35 years and take this field very seriously. If I didn't, I would have never started this website to begin with.
Regarding the escape area of the art, I have always had an interest, specifically in relation to locks and handcuffs.

I believe that folks like IAN MCCOLL and STEVE BAKER will vouch for my sincerity and the hard work I have been putting into lock-picking.
I have a long way to go, but I believe I have a real talent for it and am making good progress thus far (thanks to the sage advice and mentoring of Ian McColl).

That said, I believe I am qualified to at least offer a few suggestions concerning the idea of an escape artist association.
I have no personal agenda here and nothing to gain one way or the other, but do want to add to the discussion at hand.

First, as Ian has already pointed out, you already have a community of friends/peers who pretty much help each other, but - an official unbiased organization can take that a step further.
This can be done in a number of ways, and it is ultimately up to its membership to decide which direction such a organization being discussed would take.

No offense to Tom, but an organization (e.g, SAM, IBM, FCM, etc) may indeed have its own publication, and that is fine. But the organization should never be the product of a magazine, dealer, manufacturer, etc.
Doing so just raises too many issues - end of story.

Next, the worse thing that can happen to any organization or club is politics.
Politics often creeps in because any club (even SAM, IBM, ELKS, MASONS, etc) usually depends on one or two people doing ALL the work.
Sure, its members all like the idea of carrying the official membership card, attending meetings, reading the monthly magazine, etc., but most if not all are rarely qualified (or willing) to put in the time and effort required to insure all those things continue to happen month to month, year to year.
So naturally, whoever is most popular (and willing) will get the position.
However, being well liked by your peers and being qualified to operate the organization are two different matters altogether.

Further, you should ponder the following thoughts:

• How is this organization going to be funded?
  • Is it non-profit? If not, who decides the financial matters?
  • Which country do you base such a club?
  • Who is in charge, and why?
  • What is the role of its members?
  • Can anyone join? If not, who decides who can?
  • If the organization has a magazine, who puts this together each month?
  • Is there a real need for such a club?
  • How will the club benefit the membership?

The above list is just a few questions to ponder, there are naturally many more that folks would have to consider before undertaking such a monumental project.

In closing I'll say that the escape field could really benefit from such a organization, provided it was put together properly.
I see more postive aspects then negative, but do highly recommend that all of you proceed with caution. Friendships have been known to end over matters such as these. Just a few thoughts... Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
BARNABAS
View Profile
New user
Streamwood IL, USA
16 Posts

Profile of BARNABAS
I'm a member of both Escape Masters and The Houdini Club of Wisconsin. No,you don't have to live in Wisconsin to be a member. I joined these outfits to support the Art of Escapology and the Man who pioneered it. I have some simple rules:
1. Entertain people.
2. Safety first.
3. Leave my ego at the door.
4. Be Honest, "No, I never tried that escape" "No,that escape challenge is a risk to my health and it won't make me rich and famous." "Could you do that escape challenge that you want me to try?"

I'm an entertainer first and formost. My Goal is to give the best show I can.
It's bad business to under cut someones price and get their gig, if it happens to me I might have to fix the lowdown chisler.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Ho Ho Ho ! To all of you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Association of Escape Artists? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL