The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Tom Frank Lecture in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 10/22/05 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
industrial Strength Magic
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Industrial Strength Magic and The Magic Artists Guild Proudly Present

“An Evening of Comedy Magic” with Tom Frank • A Magic Show and Lecture

Saturday, Oct 22, 2005 6:00 p.m.

Coeur d’Alene, Idaho

Admission: $20.00 Children 12 or under, accompanied by an adult, are free.

“An Evening of Comedy Magic” with Tom Frank”

For over 25 years, the multi-talented Tom Frank has energetically maintained his career as a professional magician by being versatile.

Tom is a “busking" street performer,
a comedy-club headliner,
a stage and television entertainer,
a corporate motivational speaker, and
a trade-show spokesperson for companies like IBM, Nabisco,
Proctor & Gamble, and Seagrams – to name only a few.

He’s also operated two brick-and-mortar magic shops.
He can do it all !

Tom’s most renowned routine, “The Legend of the Five Mystic Rings”, is his poetic rendition of the classic Chinese linking rings.

He’ll admit, however, that the commercial trick he choses to perform to “get the money” is his hilarious presentation of “Cups and Balls”.

Tom has conducted magic lectures in the U.S. as well as in Europe and Japan. This month, Tom will present his lecture/show for us magicians in the Inland Northwest.

Professional magician Tom Frank promises to entertain you with clever, comical magic; teach you tricks and sleights; plus, reveal his own “tricks of the trade” for promoting your magical entertainment.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Directions:
From I-90, Exit at “I-95, Sandpoint/Moscow”
Drive south 0.3 miles
At the signal, Turn right/west onto Ironwood Drive
Drive 0.2 miles, Turn into the parking lot at
916 W. Ironwood Dr., Coeur d’Alene, Idaho.

bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
476 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Have a great time out there Tom. I performed out there a year or so ago at the college and had a great time. If your in the area make sure you catch Toms show!!!!! Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Thanks Brian. It should be a good time!! Hey have a great time yourself in Florida!
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
476 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Thanks man....It should be a blast. See you soon. Brian
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Sounds awesome. Not sure I can make it (just learned about it by reading it here this morning), but I'll definitely pass the word to our campus magic club!

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Who knew that my lecture would turn into a 5 hour docudrama of magic as seen through the eyes of a street performer. Life the universe and everything was thrown into this discussion. Performance, Stories, Theory, & Pain all told in an inappropriate and irreverent way that only I have the poor taste to deliver. For example, one of the youngsters (a kid of 12 or 13) asked about the coin falling up. I asked him if he knew how to classic palm a coin. I went off on a riff about crawling before you can walk, and taught him about the classic palm of a coin. I demonstrated how to get a coin in classic palm and told him that by developing the muscle at the base of the thumb he would not only learn to palm but he would be on his way to learning the coin falling up. He asked me how to build up the thumb muscle. I said, "You have to *********. . . A LOT!"

I think everyone there had a good time and hopefully learned something. I know I had a GREAT time and was humbled and honored that anybody showed up at all. I think there were around 20 men, women and children.

I started out with a 45 minute performance. High energy opening with the cups and balls, followed by cards,silks, coins, the dean's box & the rings.

I talked about my start in show business, working the Kings Island Amusement Park as a 15 year old. I made $250 a week, working six 20 minute shows a day. I was on break more than I worked. The next year I made $300 a week. It ruined me for the rest of my life.

I told stories of meeting Cellini, dropping out of high school and moving to New York City to be a street performer. I shared my adventures working Comedy Clubs and working the corporate market. We discussed marketing for 30 - 45 minutes. I showed all the promo pieces I had brought and discussed ways to measure their effectivness. "If you can't measure it. . . you can't manage it". I demonstrated my sales pitches during the "retail years in the magic shop business" section. We talked about selling magic after your show.

All in all a good time. Special thanks to Kim "Max" Long. The Magic Artists Guild is his idea. He has specific ideas about community building in magic in his area. This is very exciting! I know what it's like to bring magicians together and the power of that. Congrats Max on taking the first step!!! Now remember what I said about getting a weekly session going. I have a feeling a few of the guys from Spokane will come in for it!

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3178 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I just hope that it all got caught on some form of recording so that it can be shared (at a price..) to those of us who live vicariously through your exploits Tom!

Sounds like the folks in Idaho got a real dose of reality as Tom Frank has seen/lived it. This is probably the only time, I can honestly say that it woulod have been nice to be in Idaho Smile

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Tom Frank
View Profile
V.I.P.
493 Posts

Profile of Tom Frank
Sorry Bro,

No recordings of this event. However I am starting work on a one man show that might be described as a living version of my blog. It's the story of life as seen throughs the eyes of a street performer. Magic performances mixed with stories, taking the audience on a journey that confronts love, conflict, fear anger and resolution. The feel good show of the year.

TF
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
476 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Hey there Tom, glad to hear you had a good time.....great people over there. Brian
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
355 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Sounds like a good time. Wish I could have been there.

We have a group that meets in Pullman every week. There must be some stuff we can do to get together with Spokane and Coeur d'Alene folks on at least a semi-regular basis.

A while back I emailed the contact address listed for the Spokane IBM Ring, but never got a reply.

Any Inland Northwest magicians reading this, give me a PM!

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Tom Frank Lecture in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 10/22/05 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL