The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Vs. Lord of the Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magic123454321
Wich is better star wars or lord of the rings? what your favorite ones. My favorite in star wars is episode 6 and lord of the rings return of the king.

hoorayyyyyyy!
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
What exactly are we comparing here? SW 4,5,6 vs LOTR 1,2,3, or all the SW movies vs. LOTR Movies and Books, the action figures, the fans.....there are a lot of variables. I don't think you can say that one is better than the other because they're not even in the same Genre. SW is Sci-Fi and LOTR is Fantasy.

I think you'd be better off comparing Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, as there are WAY more similarities. Star Wars didn't even start as a book series.....

Slightly off topic, which is better:

iPods or iguanas?

(Can't compare the two is my point).
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Star Wars 4 5 & 6 are way better than Star Wars and Lord of the Rings 1 2 & 3 combined.
But then I'm a big Star Wars geek (saw the first one nearly a hundred times in the theatre) bit could never get into either the books or movies of Lord of the Rings.
I could see if you liked that sort of thing thet LOTR would be neat, just not my cup of tea however.
I've always been curious though if Christopher Lee ever told Lucas that he had just shot the exact same scene in LOTR when they filmed the Obi Wan being held as a prisonere scene in SW #2
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I'm going out on a limb and guessing that magic123454321 is comparing movies, something the two have in common. I'm going with Star Wars because I like the story and characters better, and it's been with me longer.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1312 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 23:17, Payne wrote:
Star Wars 4 5 & 6 are way better than Star Wars and Lord of the Rings 1 2 & 3 combined.

Amen to that Payne! The original trilogy is so unbelievably brilliant. Even though I enjoy the prequels-especially the lighsaber battles and the development of Palpatine/Darth Sidious/Emperor character, they're a bit too slick as if George Lucas was blinded by the possibilities of CGI (and I believe he was-he has actually replaced the puppet Yoda in Phantom Menace with a digital one these days...) Having been a huge Star Wars fan since the early 80s its pretty impossible to get a new perspective-the perspective of those who will watch the entire saga in chronological order from 1 to 6, I keep wondering how will they experience the differences between the two trilogies. I will always and forever for instance refer to A New Hope (episode 4) as the first Star Wars, which often confuses non-geeks.

As for LOTR, I did enjoy the movies, especially Return of the King and I have them all on DVD but they didn't have that kind of effect the Star Wars films had. I certainly admire the effort that has gone into them and there is a lot of things I really love, but for me something is missing. Its actually quite funny that in many magazines and such, Peter Jackson was praised for his "innovative" way of making one film in 3 parts... Hello? Lucas had allready done that with Star Wars-they basically are one film divided into several episodes.

Comparing the two...well you actually CAN compare them as in this case the genre issue is totally irrelevant because we're dealing on opinion level, as moviegoers rather than critics or film historians and we deal on much more general level-our estimations and opinions are mostly based on emotions and entertainment value.
Sent from my Typewriter
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
You guys are complicating everything way to much.

Star Wars is better than LOTR for one reason.

Lightsabers.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1312 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Jordini, you're so right Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 01:40, mvmagic wrote:

If I had a dime for everytime I've read a post on the Café with those exact words, I would have just about enough dimes for the Nickels to Dimes trick.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1312 Posts

Profile of mvmagic

(See? You're getting closer... lol)
Sent from my Typewriter
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
Another vote for Star Wars.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You're all missing a vital link here. LOTR and Star Wars are actually one and the same! It's clear! Magic staffs and swords evolve over thousands of years into light sabers. Jedis are the decendents of Gandalf the White...although, we strongly suspect that Yoda was the result of a love tryst between Mr. Spock and a Gorn female. Curse that Romulan Ale!

Ewoks were clearly descended from an unfortunate night of drinking and debauchery among the Trolls and Hobbits. Han Solo is clearly a direct descendent of Aragorn. Curiously, Princess Leia seems to have inherited Bilbo's penchant for hairstyles. Interesting branch in THAT tree!! Banthas naturally evolved from the great war elephants of Middle Earth. The Ent's eventually all migrated to Endor, home of the Ewoks. Gollum's descendents went on to become Governors of two southern states, and eventually Presidents (Hence the popularity of the phrase "Tossing one's hat into the ring!") and the Wookies are directly descended from Dennis Rodman. Go figure! It's a clear issue of evolution here, guys.

Klaz'p'th D'grn!
:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I don't know which worries me more, Skip. That you had the time to put all that together. . . or that it actually makes sense to me.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
Skip - your therapist is calling. Your prescription is ready to be filled.

Too scary. Although, it would explain how the Muppets evolved into Jabba's court....

e
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Lol! This thread is hilarious! Smile

I have seen every Star Wars movie on opening day as well as The Lord Of The Rings and there is no comparison, both these movies rock!

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
I would say star wars because I didn't fall asleep during any of them.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 09:00, Skip Way wrote:
You're all missing a vital link here. LOTR and Star Wars are actually one and the same! It's clear! Magic staffs and swords evolve over thousands of years into light sabers. Jedis are the decendents of Gandalf the White...although, we strongly suspect that Yoda was the result of a love tryst between Mr. Spock and a Gorn female. Curse that Romulan Ale!
SNIP!

Klaz'p'th D'grn!
:o) Skip

Yeah, and the throwing pillows that were cut from the scene in Revendell are actually FUTON TORPEDOS!

Hobbits did not evolve into Ewoks, but became Ferengi via another process! They TRADED UP!

Wookies are really Ents with a bad case of moss, of the Eisley speciec, I believe. But I could be jazzing you on that! (a real in joke)

And if you think lightsabers are dangerous, wait until the NEXT three films, that take place AFTER Luke, Leia, et. al. won the Battle of Endor's Moon! The Empire tries for a comeback and introduces HEAVYsabers! Nicknamed "claymores," the weapons are of ancient design and were dug out of a hole on a forgotten planet.

What? You never heard of a CLAYMORE MINE?!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
By the way, there's a new Star Trek movie coming out about the Civil War in the Gorn system -

Wait for it....

It's titled.....

GORN WITH THE WIND!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I would not know where to begin trying to compare the two stories. Star Wars is large, facile, political and in some ways synthetic. LOTR is more organic and hardly facile.

The second set of Star Wars films documents a political and psychological process that most of use would prefer not to address. LOTR addresses a couple of social issues we already understand and usually leave to succeeding generations to manage.

Taken as alternative cultural futures for humanity, LOTR can be interpreted as "trouble in paradise" managed by the locals and with minimal cultural expense. Those where contaminated by the external technology "the one ring" were shipped off and the rest got to live with their beliefs intact.

By contrast the religious and social beliefs of the inhabitants of the Star Wars universe were left intact and what we saw as a minor shift as a Republic consolidated its center of political power by using force and in that process lost its unwieldy democracy. Funny thing about that is anyone who's read "Dune" already knows that a Feudal system seems more reasonable in places where most live out their lives where they were born... Smile

In BOTH movie arcs we have a king or emperor assuming power. Whether or not we interpret Sauron as great rebel leader trying to free the oppressed of Middle Earth is left to our imagination.

Yes I did write that Middle Earth could be taken as a possible future for our planet. Sure it's nice to have technology. Perhaps it's not so safe to have technology ON our world and so we might be better off with a Middle Earth like world?

As to which story is better... I don't know. If we are just looking at the movies, I found the LOTR to be more appealing as it seemed to use less quick cuts and allowed me to take in the environment as I watched. Star Wars has amazing environments yet left me feeling rushed.

Just my opinions.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magic123454321
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of magic123454321
Heres order of awesomeness for star wars from best to worst-6,5,3,4,2,1
heres for lord of the rings best to worst-3,2,1
the question is........wich is better lord of the rings three or star wars six?

yeah I agree with you jonathon townsend about everything he said but I really couldn't choose between the two. I like them both.
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
War of the Lords!
These are two so diffrent...
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars Vs. Lord of the Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL