The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with stage performance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Epsilon
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Epsilon
I'm not sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I'm not new to magic, but I am fairly new to stage magic (by this I mean small parlour type tricks that can be done in a stage setting, not large scale illusions).

I have a few tricks that I have been practising practically non-stop since I got them (it's become almost an obsession really), and now I have a chance to show something to an audience; 5-7 minutes onstage.

I will have a mic, (so I wont have to shout to be heard, which is always a good thing), and access to a sound system, so I could do a silent act to music, however I would prefer to speak whilst I'm performing.

The main problem is that I'm not sure about routining tricks for a stage act (or which tricks to do).

Some of the tricks I have are:

D'Lites
Appearing Bouquet
Colour Changing Silk Streamer
Middle Diddle Silk
TT + Silks
Rope (for prof's nightmare, cut and restored etc.)

I have others as well, but these are the ones I'm most comfortable with.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to develop a short stage routine.

I have about 4 weeks to sort this out.

Thanks.Smile
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
How long does the show have to be? What is the venue and the audience?
Which effects can you link together with patter? By that I mean I use to do an effect where a silk vanishes from one envelope and appears in another both being held by specs. Then I said something like I can do that exact same trick with a playing card. The spec signed the card the trick failed but the card ended up in my wallet. (card to wallet) I did many comedy shows and very often you can routine thru what you say if you plan it perfectly and rehearse it. Try to spend about one hour of practise for every minute you are going to be on stage. The last 25% of your practise time should be dedicated to just doing the show over and over at your house to make sure that you can move from one effect to the next effortlessly and not forget to load or steal or whatever when necesary.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with a couple of these effects, so some of my suggestions may have to be more general than I would otherwise like. But here's what I would do:

1. Open with D'Lites to a short piece of music.

2. Transition from D'Lites into a TT silk production - this can be the finale to
the musical routine.

3. Introduce yourself to the audience.

4. Use the silk that you just produced to move into your other silk effects (these
are the ones that I am not familiar with).

5. End the silk routine with your color changing streamers.

6. Now, it time to change the pace again and get the audience involved in your
show. Find a novel way to pick a volunteer and then get them up to help you
with cut & restored rope and professor's nightmare (Ted Lesley provides a very
good comination of these effects).

7. To thank the volunteer, produce your bouquet (hopefully your volunteer was
female). But instead of giving her the bouquet, put it in a vase and give her a
single flower instead.

8. Thank the audience and take your bow.

This is probably much longer than the 5-7 minutes you suggested and you may want to cust some of the tricks out of your show. In fact, as I think about it, this is more of a 25 - 30 minute show.

Oh yeah, if you are going to be using a microphone, be sure to practice with one as well. This way your tone of voice and hand movements will seem much more natural when using the mic. This also holds true for rehearsing any routine with music. The timing and selection of your music is extremely important.

Hope that helps.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Presentation,presentation,presentation!!!! Remember develope your own routines,and remember people want to be entertained not puzzled to death.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
380 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Presentation,presentation,presentation!!!! Remember develope your own routines,and remember people want to be entertained not puzzled to death.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Pick and choose routines that you do best. Arrange them in a logical order that connects each effect making everything flow together. Then perform the show as many times as you can and after seeing peoples reaction you will see which stuff works best, and then take it from there.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Pick and choose routines that you do best. Arrange them in a logical order that connects each effect making everything flow together. Then perform the show as many times as you can and after seeing peoples reaction you will see which stuff works best, and then take it from there.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I am sorry. I only now read your post properly regarding the time limit.
Magicman has a great answer but there is too much matreial like he said. I suggest you choose between music or speaking if you are only going to do 7 minutes. The time is not enough to do both. This is not a rule just my opinion. I feel that if you do 3 minutes of music and 3 minutes of patter it may look a little talent showy.
If you choose music do the d lites and the silks in any order that feels well routined and comfortable.
To patter do the cut and restored rope and professors nightmare. There is 5 minutes right there if not more.
Then close with something visual probably the appearing bouquet.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2820 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I don't think you'll be able to do more than 2 tricks in 5-7 minutes. I do 6 in a 30-40 minute show. Choose the two you're most comfortable with and work on maximizing presentation. And definitely practice with the mic as magicman845 said. Or with a suitable substitute prop as mic for now. Rehearse it as close to the way you plan perform it as possible. 4 weeks rehearsal should be enough time to prepare a polished presentation. Good luck.
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with stage performance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL