The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Two in One Day???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I'm wetting myself here...

TWO first ever posts in a new area of the Café??

I'm glad I bought PowerBall tickets..>Wow<, must be my lucky day!!

On Ventriloquism...

I've been a Vent since age 7 (28 years now)...

I got a Charlie doll for Christmas and never looked back..

It's been an amazing ride and I've learned a great deal...I LOVE to see the look on folks faces when the stop seeing the figure as a "Puppet" and see it as an individual being..

Blows me away when reality gets 'shifted' for them.

Nice way to start this area of the Café...

How did YOU get YOUR start in Vent? What was your first figure?

And what Vent. inspires you the most?

Me?

Hands down, Ronn Lucas.

Prof. Piper
:ventriloquist:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 23:25, Professor Piper wrote:
I'm wetting myself here...
TWO first ever posts in a new area of the Café??
I'm glad I bought PowerBall tickets..>Wow<, must be my lucky day!!

Hey may as well go for the ballooning one too!
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

I would, Randy, but I don't twist balloons...

Just wouldn't feel right.

lol

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
I began in about '76 / '77.
My 'heroes' were/are Senor Wencas and a British man by the name of Mo Howarth.

I just wanted something different to do in my act for the round of shows I had booked in for the Queen's Silver (yes Silver!!) Jubilee and started with a red, white and blue duck, the size of a donkey.

Haven't stopped since and 'Jessica' is booked in preference to me - ho hum, such is life.

Best of,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Dave..

Yeah, I've always been an admirer of the Senor...His inventiveness is what really gets to me.

On Ronn Lucas...He has always been sooooo technically perfect...NO lip movement and his voices/clarity/volume...Everything just amazing....He's the benchmark, in my opinion...

I can also relate to your figure getting booked and you are an after thought...For years working with "Max" (a Henson puppet I own) he would get all the glory and praise...

In his words, "Oh...him? He's the guy that carry's the suitcase...don't pay any attention to himmmmmmm...." (followed by maniacal laughter.

I never really minded, cause I was the one cashing the checks!!

Have a great night.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I got my interest sparked when I was a small boy after seeing Winch perform on television.

My folks bought me a small cheap Jerry figure at Sears and a book and record called instant ventriloquism bt Jimmy Nelson and I was on my way!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Popo
View Profile
Loyal user
Valparaiso, IN
219 Posts

Profile of Popo
I'm actually a late bloomer. I have been using puppets for so long in my counseling practice. They really help to bring the children out of their shell. I became a clown and began studying magic. I guess it took me back to when I was a kid. My favorite thing to do was to watch the performers on TV. It was magical. So, I took up juggling and bought a course in vent and began to practice. I think I like playing and making the stuff up even more than the performing. My wife thinks I am weird. My family now claims I was adopted!
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I agree with you Professor on Ronn Lucas. He's incredible. I'm also inpired by Russ Lewis (Louis Russo). He also has great lip control and did some really fast exchanges with his figure, Brooklyn Birch.

I got started way late. After 25 years doing magic, I saw the Magic Drawing Board and really wanted to use it in my act. I tried the Ax Trax but was too worried about timing so I learned vent instead. It was worth the effort.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
About 76 I saw an old Jerry Mahoney Puppet at a party.

I picked it up and played with it. The owner said I could use it.

About 20 years later he emailed me and I carefully sent it back to him.(Thanks T.A.)

Learning came the old fashion way... I was very very bad....

Last July I had a chance to meet and share during a workshop by George Schindler.

It made Nigel and my year.

Seeing Jay Marshal in about 79 also perked my interest in vent.

During my years living in Reno, I was able to see many vent and puppet programs.

Wayland Flowers created wonderful characters. He inspired me to create a lifesize puppet. It was used only for a few seasons.

When I was younger I loved doing fairs including Ren Fest, but these days, I love inside events.

Thanks for bringing up the topic.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hello Professor, Began ventriloquism in second grade, class of '63. My influences were Jimmy Nelson and Paul Winchell in that order. For Christmas I recieved a Danny O'Day. In fourth grade I was loaned a professional figure made by Turner from LA area. Ducky O'Neil, I use him to this date. I used him on loan to be a fund raiser for the local YMCA as well as membership drive entertainment. I logged in more hours of entertainment than someone that age can imagine. At times playing to audiences of 2000. Went pro at age 10. Continued to use Ducky on loan until age 16, won a talent show with a $50.00 savings bond as 1st prize. Cash value at the time was $35.00.

I asked the owner if he was interrested in selling me Ducky. He said, "No." He would give me the dummy. My parents intervened and said they would not allow me to get him for nothing (no work ethic). So a deal was struck and I recieved Ducky for the same price Bergen bought Charlie for...$35.00.

I must say, Jimmy Nelson still to this day inspires me the most. A truely wonderful helpful,accessible being. Ronn Lucas was very personable when I met him. A great performer.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Hello Dr. Solar,

Welcome to the Magic Café. I always love ventriloquism and years ago I took
a one day course on ventriloquism then I bought a vent doll for $400.
and when someone called me to do Magic more than an hour, I would tell the client
I can also add Magic Harry to the act for another half an hour.
I the kids had so many questions for Harry. And for me using a mic always worked
better than with out one. After many shows with Harry, I am sorry to say he was lost in a fire :o(

All the best,

Magically,

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hello Maro, A warm welcome to you as well. I love your henning quote because as I stated in another thread, the countless hours of just talking, rapping, singing etc. with my figure created the ability to rapport off the cuff.

My first professional show at age 10 was to be 20 minutes ( 1955 $1.00 a minute ). Due to the birthday child's mother's kitchen ineptness, I had to stall while the cake finished baking. My performance went on for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Did I get more money? No, I was under contract for $20.00, not per minute rate. So we learn.

You're right though, children in the audience can practically build the show but often entertainers strike out when they leave home with little flexibility in their script. I've learned; patience is the order of the day.
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Two in One Day???? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL