The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with a vanish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pezmagic
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
21 Posts

Profile of pezmagic
Hello. I need help in knowing either what gimmick or what method to use for this vanish. I want to vanish an 18 inch silk. I will have short sleeves and so a pull won't work. The silk is too big for my thumb tip. I am already using the change bag earlier in the routine. What can I use?
Do you know what the difference between genuis and stupidity is? Genius has limits.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
You can get a larger TT to do the job, or you can use a pull that does not go up your sleeve. Alternate hookups are available.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
pezmagic
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
21 Posts

Profile of pezmagic
Thanks, but how large would a TT have to be to fit an 18 inch silk? Do they come that big? Also, could you show which kind of pull to buy of wearing only a short sleeved Hawaiian shirt? Not sure where to look and don't want to buy the wrong one. Also, there will be volunteers on stage and don't want to pick somehting that would be obvious to them. Thanks for the help.
Do you know what the difference between genuis and stupidity is? Genius has limits.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Chances of doing a silk vanish in your hands using the parameters you've set are dim to say the least. You may have to resort to something mechanical like a silk cabby or depending on the quality of the pants you are wearing, there is the "x" space, although that is far better for a production than a vanish. Other options would be a gimmicked newspaper cone, or an ungimmicked newspaper cone with a silk vanishing wand. A pull would work if you had your Hawaiian shirt open with a plain t-shirt underneath. Under those conditions you could even incorporate a toppit although that is stretching it a bit.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
What about a gung-ho box, or even a dye-tube?
Paul
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Do you have the Darwin's Encyclopedia of thumb-tip magic DVDs? If so, there's an idea on Volume 2 for vanishing a large napkin that's too big for the tt. It could easily be applied to silks.

You show the large silk. You roll it into a small ball. You reach into your pocket for something (wand, woofle-dust, something more appropriate for your act). You then show the tail of the silk still in your hand. You push it in and it's gone.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
The Universal Pull by Vernet would be perfect for this vanish. However the shirt would need to be open!

Mike
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
The McBride on Stage vol.2. dvd has lots of productions and some vanishes of silks.

You can also either just get a jumbo thumbtip or stuff it into a gimmick or clip and then ditch is in a pocket.
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
433 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Check out David Williamson's Sleight of Dave vol. 2. He has a silk vanish that isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I think the method he uses will give you some ideas that you can adapt to your situation. Without tipping the method, I can tell you that he does use a TT, but it is never on his hand - and you don't have to use a TT - you can use something larger to accomodate the size of your silk. I hope this helps,
Al
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Danville, KY
77 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
Use a diamond shaped silk (perceived as a standard 18" silk, but half the volume) and your TT.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Pezmagic - Now you've received a lot of different ideas to solve your problem, it would be interesting to find out which avenue you're going to pursue.
george kaye
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of george kaye
I do the colour change silk so I always (when I'm working) have the fake on me. I have a lady sitting on the stage holding the silk, I take the silk from her, do the move, lean towards her and get her to blow the hand whilst ditching 'you know what' under cover of her body.
Hugs,
George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with a vanish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL