The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unexpected events at Seance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
But I don't steal to fund my habit
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Let me say straight off the bat that I believe in the spiritworld, if anyone else doesn't that's cool, I respect your thoughts, but please respect mine too and shop elsewhere on this, because I would like a discussion with like minded people about a seance and don't want it turned into a "Do ghosts really exist" thing instead.

I have seen in here some people do an act revolving around a seance, has anyone got any good stories of unexpected events? Has anyone set out to do one as a spoof illusion and had it turned into something very much more real than you expected?

If this has been talked to death already I apologise in advance.
BB
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Well, it wasn't a seance, but last Halloween I was performing for veterans at a VA hospital. I explained that since it was Halloween, the anniversary of Houdini's death, I would do a couple of escapes. I had one of the staff padlock me into a very heavy-duty Siberian Chain, then cover my hands with a cloth. I did the escape, which as you probably know can be done very quickly without opening the padlock, then threw the thing in my bag and went on to the straightjacket and chains. It was only afterwards, when I was going through my gear, that I found the padlock on the Siberian Chain open. You might think that it hadn't really "clicked," and that a bit of a struggle just popped it, but then on the other hand, Houdini was a frequent performer for soldiers and veterans, and it was Halloween...

Yours,

Paul
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I was working the Ouija board with ma gurl and we decided to get a deck of cards and see if the board could tell us what the next card was. of course, I could pull this off easily with my amazing mentalism powers, but ma gurl got the deck and she handled the cards. Anyway, the Ouija went to the correct number three times but not the suit.

At a later date we actually played a brief blackjack game with an entity. Again, I could pull this off but didn't.

Coincidence?

Very strange.

For those who don't believe, maybe there is something to ESP? I don't know. In my life too many strange things have happened for me to flat out say nothing but scientifically proven things are true and exist.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Ouija board incident too...we were having a seance, when out of the blue the cup moved by itself spelling hello...gave me the goose bumps for a whole week!!

imo I think there is much much more to the mind than we know...
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Paul that is a great story.

In a similar vein, in that it wasn't a seance, I developed a trick with a ball made with the kids clay that comes in bright colours and is baked in the oven which makes it go really hard. It was formed around a fairly large ball bearing, and the ball is placed on a flat table where the ball would'nt roll by itself, the idea being that because the ball looked like it was made of bright yellow plastic no-one would suspect it being attracted to a magnet.

I had a PK5 strapped to my leg, and had practised moving my leg up and out so that the ball would only start to roll, you have to be careful because if you allow the PK5 to stop the ball mid roll it looks terrible and you would be well busted for the method.

The patter was to have been " If there are any spirit people present, could you please move this ball, make it roll".. pause, then the same again but exchange the words spirit people for astral beings, pause again, then repeat the first sentence and make the ball roll with the PK5.

Well as soon as the words came from the first sentence the ball started rolling almost immediately, the PK5 was no where near it yet, and although my friends thought it was amazing I nearly had a heart attack! They just laughed when I said it was'nt me that moved it, guess I was the boy that cried wolf too many times, but that really gave me a jolt, it moved in a very strong way.

BB
p.s. If anyone thinks I am exposing a trick method here, can I correctly say that it's mine to expose? I don't mind sharing it, tiz a big world.
Blueboy
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Blueboy
Alexandre, that would be some co-incidence IMO, that's very good food for thought.
Cheers
Colin
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Blueboy, I've no experiences to tell, but if you don't know it, maybe you could find interesting this ghost story on the subject :

http://gaslight.mtroyal.ab.ca/gaslight/carnack4.htm
Tom James
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
139 Posts

Profile of Tom James
Guys I was doing a mentalism routine. It was called Satans Card. It was done at a halloween party that I was hired to do. It consited of a burned piece of parchment paper with a pentagram and some symbols on it. I put candles on each of the points and lit them. After doing the trick and freaking them out I was puting the cards and letter away. Then all of a sudden the candles went out. There was no wind what so ever. I just looked at the lady and said sorry to be you and went on with the rest of the show. It creeped me out but was a lasting imprssion I have now been booked every year since for them and have increased my fees about 150% for them. Sometimes the weird stuff can work in our favor.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Then again maybe there was a breeze and you didn't realize it. Thus, complimenting the story with your own imagination. The same goes for almost every effect that a magician does. People walk away remembering what they saw, then subconciously embelish it, now it's a miracle! Or even a "spiritual" happening. That's why we make our living!
don't get me wrong, I do think there are things outside of this plain of existence. Spirits, ghosts, entities, whatever you want to call them, but nothing described here cant be explained away without simple process or coincidence. Maybe I'm just being skeptical. Or giving up explainations to soothe my own fears of the supernatural. I don't know. What I do know is that these happenings are vivid in your minds because they excited you/scared you, and these are the happenings that as performers we should be trying to duplicate. Imagine the excitement you build in your crowds then, or the fear. Either way, you make huge impression!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Unexpected events at Seance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL