The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to pick, what to practice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I have been serious into magic for about a year. What I mean by that is buying books, DVDs and tricks. I have learnt a few fundamental sleights of card & coin magic in general, as well as other fundamental sleights all magicians should know (eg. Paddle move, Strike vanish, ect.). I have done a few small close-up shows in school and have put together a kids show! I would still class myself as an amateur.

My question is what sleights should I learn/practice? Lets take for instance, I got the Allan Ackerman - Advanced Card Control Series there are many card sleights on this DVD but what ones should I learn, obviously it would take a long time to perfect each sleight and I would not use all of them or should I just use these DVDs as a reference, if I see a trick I like with a certain sleight that I don't know should I then go and learn it from the DVD?

Should we learn sleights or see a trick we like and learn the sleights for that trick?

Mike
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 16:57, Michaelrice wrote:
Should we learn sleights or see a trick we like and learn the sleights for that trick?

Mike

You should find tricks you like and focus on the required sleights, yes.
If one of the sleights is giving you problems, look for an alternative sleights.
Also look for similar routines. Your knowledge of sleights should naturally increase with time.

Learning sleights can be fun and I'm not saying that you shouldn't explore a bit.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I'm with Jaz. There's little point in learning sleights for the sake of learning sleights. Learn what's necessary to do what you want to do.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
176 Posts

Profile of lekin
Although I'm still new -- and certainly significantly less experienced than many of the people who post here -- I'll pass along what I think is good advice given by some of those people. Identify a few key sleights -- a force or two, a control, a top and bottom palm -- and master those. Then, after that, work on the sleights based on what you are trying to do.

Good luck.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Thanks Guys, that answers my question! Now where to find material, I suppose books, DVDs, ect.

Mike
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
You should pick and perfect any sleights that are in tricks that appeal to you, or what you are confortable performingl

The sleights and tricks you learn and do depends on what you like to perform and your conditions. Everyone has it differently.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Mike - what books/DVDs do you have? I bet you have a wealth of material already!
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Learn basic,finger break,double left and how to hold deck of cards.You can add swing cut,how to bring the card to the top.Also agree to every one else.Learn to have fun and learn how to present the trick is also important.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 23:25, bluemagic wrote:
Learn basic,finger break,double left and how to hold deck of cards.You can add swing cut,how to bring the card to the top.Also agree to every one else.Learn to have fun and learn how to present the trick is also important.

I must of came across as a complete novice, I know most of the basic sleights, the ones you mentioned above! I was questioning the advanced sleights.

Quote:
On 2005-10-20 9:48, Foucault wrote:
Mike - what books/DVDs do you have? I bet you have a wealth of material already!

Yes, you are right I do have a wealth of material. I just suppose you watch/read one thing and want the next thing. I will go over everything I have and note the effects I like, then put time into them and perfect them!

Mike
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
Start with one effect and perfect that and go to the next.Sometime you'ill come up with deffence twist on it or improve it.As you practice youi'll learn the best way to present it to fit you as performer.Some time you can 2 effect in one trick.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
If your working with cards-

Just learn these for now:

Double Lift (Vernons) -I use it all the time. Best move in my opinion. Numerous effects can be accomplished.-

Top Change -once again a move with endless effects and possibilities.-

Side Steal

NoWhere Pass (or regular Pass) -will take time and work, but good technique to know, and it opens up doors for your card work.-

Cull

-all of these if you research them may seem somewhat hard. True. But then once mastered; learning basics will be a breeze, but you'll most likely be happy that you learned the hardest. Card moves thereafer will be simplex and come easy to you. At least in my opinion. If card sleights are your thing- check out Roberto Giobbi's Card College volume set. I refer to this as often as I fiddle with a deck of cards- daily! Hope this helps and keep in touch:)

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Hey TomaskoMagic,
I appreciate your answer, but I was only using Allan Ackerman's stuff as an example, I use the sleights you mentioned in nearly every routine!

Mike
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
You can practice sleights to become comfortable with them. But what you need to do is to find effects that you like, and then learn the sleights you need to perform the effects. Sleights are only tools, don´t forget that.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
If you are not card worker by that I mean, if you do coins and other stuff, then learning lots of slights will take a lot of your time, and in the future you will notice that you won't be using half the slights that you know, well that happens with me. If you master the DL,2-3 forces, PALMING is a must very powerful , control to the top and finger breaks are a must as well, and a cool colour change will not go amiss. These slights should keep you in a certain fairly good level, and as Jaz mentioned, with time your slights will increase, but how many should be put into use is always up to you, and it dependse on how many card effects you want to perform.

Remember Card Wrap and ID, needs no slights ;-)

Hope this helps

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to pick, what to practice? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL