The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Who was first? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I saw Peter Wardell work last night... he is awesome... a lot of Gazzo in his cups and balls... but someone told me he was older than the Gazman... so, who was first?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Peter Wardell is about 10 years younger than Gazzo.
Who was first?
I think it was Gazzo.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Also if you take into account the fact that Gazzo has been "on the street" for most of his life, then you'd have to assume Gazzo started first, even if he weren't older than Peter Wardell.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
So, which one is Peter and which one is Gazzo??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The one in the middle reminds me of an old girl friend!!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Strange, very strange.....

I have heard of getting *teeth* capped, but....
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2005-10-21 15:05, Kondini wrote:
The one in the middle reminds me of an old girl friend!!

Does she have a sister?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
No,,,,,but she had! Me.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Neither...it was Nick Nicholas...or was it Cellini...or was it Tom Picard...the list is endles...Who was first exactly...ie is it who is older(only their mums would know that) or who came first in the c+b stakes...hmmmmmmmmmnnnn
vernon
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
Gazzo was prior to Nick Nicholas, if memory serves me correctly.
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Percy Press Senior with his little pills.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
And Payne who was Percy Press's teacher around 1900. Smile

Chris Capehart and Jeff Sheridan were both working New York in the mid 70's that precedes everybody mentioned here by quite a stretch too.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Did Capehart & Sheridan do a comedy cups & balls?
Add Jim Haviland to this list as well.
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
Yes Gazzo was before Nick...just my attempt at ribald humour...anyway...both of them are top notch...Pete and Gazzo.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
No they didn't. I guess I missed the point of the original post. I thought it was about street performing in general not just cups and balls. Oops. Smile

Percy Press with his little pills and the glass of water production would definitely win in that case. A routine he learned from Payne who was evidently a household name in England at the turn of the century.

The thing I got a kick out of was Percy opened with the cups and the glass of water.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Didn't Pete Biro start this thread??? I think he knows a lot more about this than he's letting on.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Mr. Baker (and others) if you read the Hyroglyphics above the two bakers, you will see they are molding bread.

BTW, great to post that image here... You win my "Best message of the month" award.

The reason I asked, Wardell used maybe half the same lines the Gazzmeister uses...

Posted: Oct 27, 2005 1:37pm
-----------------------------------------
Oh, and Percy Press... sad sad story... Charles Reynolds and I sat with him one day with a tape recorder to put a huge story together on him and his street magic... and the tape was destroyed before we could transcribe it.

My favorite was when he did a Royal Command Performance and the Queen of England asked him if he ever swallowed the Punch Whistle... which he had just handed her to try... and he replied, "Yes, you Majestey... this one's been through me twice."

:kermit:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Oh Pete!

I would kill to have a copy of that! (I wouldn't give my left arm though, couldn't do final loads without it! Smile ) That is truly a sad, sad story!

I've been digging around trying to find more about Mr. Press. There is just so little out there about his magic other than the Breeze tape and some pamphlets. I did finally score a couple of Flik-Fliks and some information on that.

I've also been closing my show with his rings and rope through coat (did it last night as a matter of fact. Smile )Bob Sheets and Joe Howard really put together the missing pieces for me on that trick and it is an absolute monster, when done right.

So much history of street magic was lost with him and Charlie Edwards. At least there is a little gem left of Mr. Press's work.

Best,

Dan-

tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Street magic is such a now thing anyway. BTW, Danny, I like your new avatar, Ive been meaning to mention it.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Thanks Tabman. I finally found the right outfit to match the character.

Best,

Dan-

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Who was first? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.97 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL