The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do I learn to do this (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
http://images2.jokaroo.net/videos/grandpajapan.wmv
this website is from a friend and user from this forum named abc. he asked me who this is..but I am more concerned about how you can do this??is there any dvd on this kind of magic??i am very interested!if I could use some help from someone here!thanks
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
This is an effect called "The Lean." Here is a link for more info.

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/the_lean.htm

I love the reaction of the people in the video clip you posted.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Oh my gosh! This is amazing. I'm going to be going to Japan to tour and wow now I want to go sooner!!! The reactions oh my:) This film is amazingly awesome. But yes- it is the lean. And I'm shocked. This is the first that I've seen it performed out in public/streets. Interesting. But normal price is 600 American dollars. Keep in touch and thanks for sharing the video!!!!

Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
He has some other clips that you can view here. It is some really good stuff.
http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic7164.php
Go to the 5 th post and just click on the hamburger and the chopstich tricks. bith are pretty good.
Sorry for posting the link like this but I deleted the mails I had with the clips on and this is the only place I know they are for sure.
Enjoy
PS didn't Michael Jackson do "the Lean" in his show? I think it was in Smooth Criminal many years ago.
jayp
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of jayp
Michael Jackson did do the lean in the Smooth Criminal video and his tour, but in the video he used some kind of pulley thing, but on his live tour he had a special method that was patented for him, it involved special shoes, but the method couldn't exactly used for walkabout situations,

Jamie
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Wow..i wish I have a shoe like this..and..how about the head????
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Wow I just saw the hamburger and chopstick..i have neva seen this kind of magic??where do they get all this??where ??????
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Matt tomasko when are you doing the japan tour??where in japan and are you performing for public??where will it be and how much??i would like to go to it if I am free..
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-10-22 02:19, abc wrote:
He has some other clips that you can view here. It is some really good stuff.
http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic7164.php
Go to the 5 th post and just click on the hamburger and the chopstich tricks. bith are pretty good.

ABC,

Who is the "He" that is performing the hamburger trick and the chopstick trick? Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
565 Posts

Profile of Roland78
He's Cyril Katayama, he's one of T.H.E.M.
The lean effect is very nice, indeed, but the price of the gimmick is very high, and if I'm right, it's not impromptu as you can think looking at the street performances. Look under the Street Magic section of the forum, there's some other posts about him. Someone says that Criss Angel is going to do the same effect on the edge of an high building.

Dave

PS: Michael Jackson used wires, not this kind of gimmick.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
The lean as it is called is a very old vaudeville trick used by comedians on stage. It can not be done just anywhere as there is preparation to be done. You can sometimes see it in old movies, there was a Road Picture with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby where they do it. Abbott and Costello also did it in a movie, it may have been A & C meet Frankenstein but don't hold me to it. The Tin Woodsman does it in the Wizard of Oz.

On the vaudeville stage it was done with some discreet metal hoops attatched to the stage and a pair of strong ankles on the part of the comedian. For the price and the venues you could actually do the thing, I'd stay away from it. You will be disappointed.

It is true Jackson got a patent on a device that enabled him to do it at a live show that was a little more high tech and condusive to others dancing than the old metal loops, but the technique is essentially the same for all the methods.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 09:27, Roland78 wrote:
The lean effect is very nice, indeed, but the price of the gimmick is very high, and if I'm right, it's not impromptu as you can think looking at the street performances. Look under the Street Magic section of the forum, there's some other posts about him. Someone says that Criss Angel is going to do the same effect on the edge of an high building.

Dave

All the above is absolutely correct. I wasn't sure about Michael Jackson.
Cyril is also a FISM award winner. A really good magician as I have come to learn in the past few days.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 09:27, Roland78 wrote:

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the info. In doing a Google search on him, I discovered his actual name is Cyril Takayama not Cyril Katayama. What an interesting person he is.

It is very refreshing to see original magic that just causes your jaw to drop. I haven't a clue as to the ACTUAL method. If there was such a thing as magic, this would be it. Way to go Cyril!!

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where do I learn to do this (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL