The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The Dilution of Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I was shocked when I saw a segment on the USA channel while watching TV ("Ready for the weekend movie" at the Magic Castle). After a magician did a card trick, they taught you how it was done. Afterwards the host said (not an exact quote) "to learn how to do magic tricks go to How to do magic tricks dot com". I was interested in what the site was so I logged on during the commercial.

The website teaches different card forces, the card on ceiling, the Balducci Levitation and other's. They advertise Bobo's Modern Coin Magic as a great starting book for coin magic. There are many links on the site such as Thetrickery.com, Magictricks.com, adds owned by Ellusionist.com and sites that belong to Michael Daniels including a message board where people are trying to trade magic secrets and learn about advanced magic books. (The Art of Astonishment books are mention'd as a good starting point).

I didn't see anything about this on the Café, and have to ask; is this good for magic? Basic secrets and techniques are being given away to lure people into stores where magic is sold. I know that this isn't new but many people have spent good money to get the information that is now being given away free to anyone who can click a mouse. Whether its legal or not, I don't agree with these sites and feel betrayed that they are now being freely offered on TV; where will it end?

Is there anyway that we can stop the dilution of magic?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Dear Friend, I wish I could say " yes we can stop it ". But I am not sure. There was even a site which revealed David Copperfield's secrets and David Copperfield could not stop it. I think, internet is a two edged weapon; it may destroy as it can build. If we can find a final solution to terminate this exploison, it would be great, though I do not have any hope about this...
Thanks for informing us.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The Dilution of Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL