The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Christmas effects (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Isn'it time to begin the research of effects for Christmas?
Frances Marshall has some very neat effects for Christmas in his set of books.
The only problem is that most of them need a degree in "DIY Prop construction". Smile
Does anyone "dresses" some of his all-year effects for Christmas (patter, prop modification,...)?
Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
How about a Christmasy change bag? I bet someone makes one. I saw a Halloween change bag at my local magic shop. Perfect for candy!
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
If my change bag was red it would look like Santa's hat. To bad it is black.
But i'm already toying with the idea of putting some decoration into it to give him a more Christmas look
Thanks
Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here are some nice Christmas Show Effects

Here is a list of items I draw from when developing a Christmas Show. It can be also a fundraising Christmas Illusion Show:

Christmas Stage Magic

• Altex Drawing Board- Frosty or Santa
  • 20th Century Santa Silks
  • Dancing Candy Cane
  • Appearing Candy Cane
  • Dancing Handkerchief
  • Enchanted Treasure Chest
  • Snow Storm
  • Christmas Coloring Book
  • Lota Bowl
  • Linking Rings
  • Santa Chimney
  • Santa Stuck in the Chimney
  • Peppermint Stick Nesting Wands
  • Christmas Stocking Change Bag
  • Santa's Suit (Mis-Made Santa Silks)
  • Christmas Lights (Mis-Made Christmas Tree Silks with Lights)
  • Seance Cloth Dancing Animated Christmas Wreath
  • Square Circle-Pull Out Christmas Gifts and Comedy Props
  • Fraidy Cat Rabbit (Getting Dirty in Chimney)
  • Hippy Hop Rabbit (Getting Dirty in Chimney)
  • Zombie Ball (Floating Christmas Ball)
  • Christmas Light (Unfinished Christmas Tree)
  • Delite TT (Christmas Lights)
  • Zippered Change Bag
  • The Vanishing Bandana (Christmas Gift Received)
  • Crystal Silk Tube (Christmas Hankerchiefs))
  • Wiz Kote (Christmas Appliance Gift)
  • Viking Himber Nest of Boxes (Christmas Watch)
  • Egg Bag with Christmas Ball
  • Anderson Paper Tear (Christmas Wrapping Paper)
  • Fastest Trick in the World Flower Vanish
  • Flower Bouquet Production (Christmas Flowers)
  • Zimmer Egg (Christmas Silk to Egg)
  • Miser's Dream (Christmas Spending)
  • Coin Tray (Christmas Spending)
  • Rabbit Washer (Christmas Appliance Gift)
  • Rabbit Wringer (Christmas Appliance Gift)
  • Rabbit Bucket (Christmas Appliance Gift)
  • Rabbit in Hat Silks
  • Rabbit in Hat
  • Rabid Rabbit
  • Fastest Trick Dove Rabbit Vanish Table
  • Instant Magician
  • Balloon to Rabbit

Christmas Illusions

• Crystal Casket(Santa or Assistant Production)
  • Tip-Over Box (Santa Production)
  • Balloon Sword Box
  • Cutting In Sixths
  • Stack of Boxes
  • Zig-Zag
  • Sawing In Half
  • Fire Cage
  • Jukebox Twister
  • Stack of Boxes
  • Modern Cabinet
  • Flash Appearance
  • Super X Suspension
  • Sword Suspension
  • Broom Suspension
  • Flying Carpet
  • Gamalo Levitation
  • 3-in-1 Levitation
  • Pole Levitation
  • Any Levitation or Suspension

Christmas Comedy Props

• Christmas Silk (Production)
  • Christmas Props- In Square Circle or Other Box
  • Gag Bag
  • Spring Snakes
  • Streatching Glove
  • Comedy Light Bulb
  • Penelope Pine Animated Christmas Tree
  • Talking Christmas Wreath
  • Axtell "Vern the Bird" Christmas Routine

Of course this list can be much longer, however, most of these items are in my collection.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
A bit late now I would have thought to be learning new effects for christmas!
Phillip
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

You could always add a new item to your collection and try it out in your shows.
Dennis Michael
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Quote:
Of course this list can be much longer, however, most of these items are in my collection.

I would love to have a house like that. Unfortunately, I even have to live to the fact that my family doesn't want me to occupy more than 70% of the house with magical props :s:
Thanks for your helpful reply. I will analyse every item and cry for help if I need

Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Phillip Jones says: "A bit late now I would have thought to be learning new effects for Christmas!"

You beat me to it! That is, in essence, what I was going to say.

Now is the time to be planning for NEXT Christmas, not this one!

Smile
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I'm probably Ebenezer Scrooge guys, but to be quite honest it's just 'business as normal' with props. over Christmas. Obviously the music reflects the occasion. I think the atmosphere we create at our Golf Club/Company/School/Nursery School do's is enough in itself. We also make a point of NOT dropping the Birthdays in December and people really appreciate this. Smile
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Quote:
Now is the time to be planning for NEXT Christmas, not this one!

Touché!
In fact, as I don't do shows for large audiences (see my post "Number changes everything"), I'm not requested to do Christmas shows.
This year I'm considering a charity show for Christmas and needed your input on this matter.
I'll do my birthday show and would like to introduce one or two effects as Dennis suggested (altough with his big list I'm not sure if I can choose two until Christmas :g:
Uncle Scrooge :g:, thanks for the tip: when my future schedule will be full of big Christmas parties, I will not forget birthday parties
Rui Fernandes
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Many effects that are normally done can be easily converted to a Christmas theme.

20th Century silks is 20th Century silks with a Christmas silk inbetween.

Fraidy cat rabbit got stuck in the chimney. Start out with the Black rabbit instead of the white. Simple change same trick.

Miser's Dream is Still Miser's dream, Except we would all like additional money to Christmas Shop.

The point is that the standard tricks can be easily converted with a Christmas twist to it.

Now is the time to buy for next year's Halloween Shows, the props and setting environment are now at an all time low.

There is nothing wrong with a Christmas Birthday party. Do 21th Century Happy Birthday, and do a mismatched Santa instead of a Mismatched Flag. Picking about six effects with some comedy props and variety act (Balloons, Vent, Juggling) and you got a good format for a show. A Seance Cloth with a singing Snowman is a good variety/magic routine.

You can add if you know the effect and the presentation. A slight change in music and a twist in the usual routine is all that is necessary.
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Dennis makes a good point -- that standard effects can be converted to Christmas routines.
But the point remains that it still has to be worked out in rehearsal as a Christmas routine; any change should require a whole new thinking.
A couple of ideas I've done over the years, that appeared in my Showtime column in the Linking Ring, are the dove pan, for cooking a Christmas turkey, and the Gag Bag, for producing presents, or ending with an old Sid Lorraine joke about a tie.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

The concept is simple as Peter mentioned. The same dove pan routine, but change the production to match a seasonal theme. Add one or two comedy one-liners related to the production prop, and you hit home with the client (hopefully) ...Santa production at a some events may not go over well!

Every show one does, a post-evaluation should be written related to that show and include ways to enhance the show.
Dennis Michael
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
I am thinking about creating a theme Christmas show without rush, to be ready next year, and I would like to listen your opinion. If you guys have a show specifically for this occasion, routines that are part of it, presented with Christmas music or stories?

Something around Santa, Christmas tree etc

JUST A COUPLE OF EFFECTS THAT ARE IN MY MIND :

Warm up - maybe Off the Metter by Axtell ( does anyone do this?)

Some routine with Christmas change bag, sock or hat, have you one?

This one seems to be good: http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

Santa Hat paper tear:

http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

This one too: http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

I have Jozo Bozo change hat and can do something with that too.

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2002-11-05 19:42, ruiefe wrote:
Frances Marshall has some very neat effects for Christmas in his set of books.

It might be a bit late to comment on this post, because it was made 8 years ago.

However, I think it's important to note that Frances Marshall was a woman, not a man. I have many of her books.

- Donald

P.S. I do a Christmas-fun themed show for my customers. There are many effects to choose from.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do mis made santa by P&A silks. It is a bit pricy, because Peter White's silks, and props are simply the best. Peter also sells Frankie the snow man, and if you already have his Santa trick you only have to buy 1/2 of the Frankie parts. The reason why this is such a deal is because Frankie plays well 12 months a year, so you get two tricks for the price of 1 1/2 tricks.

It is great that this 2002 thread has been revised, so I can read the words of Peter Marucci again.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I have a DVD of a Christmas themed show, with explanation of how I built the effects after the show.

Might be useful for you. Follow my signature.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
No one has mentioned using a dove pan to produce candy canes to give out...mix up some ingredients, flame it, produce the candy canes. Simple as that.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
I order Off the Metter now. Seems very good for warm-up.

Helder Sousa
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Fairchild Magic also makes "Run Rudolph Run", and don't forget Razzamatazz make "Santa's Surprise", which is basically "At the Zoo" with a Christmas Theme.
I have always offered a big Christmas show, and used to put a LOT of time into scripting,rehearsing and performing a new show every year (in fact, there are always 4 versions - infant, Keystage 1, Keystage 2, and family). However, I always found myself thoroughly exhausted by Christmas Day, and though I earned a good wage during the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas, I always felt it wasn't enough for all the effort I put in.
I finally analysed the figures, and realised that the smaller shows for daycares, etc, are not really very profitable. There is a BIG demand for Christmas shows from daycares and schools, but few can afford to pay the equivalent of private parties. These days I accept as many Birthday parties as I can in December, and try to secure bookings for larger schools with several hundred kids - these schools can afford £300- £500 for a show. Daycares and smaller schools usually have a budget more like £100 - £200.
I know there are some who just take ALL the work they can, and perform 40-plus shows in those 3 weeks - but I just don't want to do that! So, I normally limit myself to about 10 shows a week MAXIMUM. And once I have 20 shows booked between December 1st-24th, I will likely only accept bookings if they pay VERY well.
I'm surprised at the number of folks who posted above, who need more than a YEAR to create a new show. I start practising my Christmas Medley late September(the show finishes with a sing-along). There are HEAPS of jokes and gags, and most of the effects will just be standard variations on existing themes.
Writing my Christmas shows usually takes me a couple of days. Rehearsal takes about a week. I could put a new Christmas show together and have it ready for performance within 2 weeks, if I had to. When I was a pantomime actor, two weeks was all the time we had, from first seeing the script, to the first performance.
Potty Smile
One snowman to another: "Can you smell carrots?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Christmas effects (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL