The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question for Fender Passport owners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I've been using the Passport PD-250 for about a year now, but have not yet used the VIP feature. This is the feature that gives priority to the performer's microphone and lowers the volume of other inputs while the performer is talking.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know your experiences using this feature. I've played with it a bit in rehearsals, but I'm not really sure I like it. It almost seems distracting to me when the music volume is going up and down. Thanks for your help.

Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
I have used it in my show when I need to talk while the music is playing to create a mood. It is not as noticeable as you may think but it is good so that your speaking words can be heard when you stop the music returns to the pre set level. Also good any time you need a voice over typ of announcement.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I have the opposite opinion... I found it very distracting for the music to dip out if I want to adlib something. I tried using it when I first got my passport, but found that it stifled my spontaneity. I never use that channel any more.

Lyndel
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I could never get comfortable with it either.

James
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1909 Posts

Profile of chmara
It takes some twiddling with your voice and the specific music to balance the control, otherwise the music can rise and fall in volume during very short pauses, or cut your voice as you starts........

Once you find the balance range however -- and learn how to start a voice bit to have the music drop properly --- it is a dream.

In the back of your mind remember this is a device that was made for speakers who might want music -- not magicians who might want to speak over music. To bend it to our will takes some practice, patience and technique. Just like a well rehearsed routine.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I never use the feature as I like more control.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
I don't use the VIP feature on my Passport either.

I have a large P.A. system that I used for D.J. work. The compressor has a feature called 'ducking' that was pretty handy for me as a D.J. It works just like the Pasport VIP feature but is smoother and it has more control.

I haven't reallly found a need for it in my magic shows.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Never use it with the linking rings. Because everytime the rings make noise the sound will go in and out.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2231 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I also don't use this feature. I just let my assistant control the volume of my music while I am speaking with music. Or sometimes, I record the music on a lower level during the times when I have to speak.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Ditto to everyone else. Once it was on and the music kept cutting off during my show when I talk and I could figure what it was that was causing it. Finally I did and never use the feature.

Ken
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Thanks everyone. It looks like it's almost unanimous. Maybe we should pass this post along to Fender!

www.anthonysisti.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree Tony. I wish Fender would substitute another feature or either drop the V.I.P feature and lower the price.

Regan
Mister Mystery
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13416 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Can't you can adjust the sensitivity for this? I have not had a problem but have only used it sparingly.

what microphones do you use with the fender?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
EvanR
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of EvanR
I don't care that much for the VIP feature in my act, though I have used it when playing very quiet background music during a stretch of speech (sans any effects) or when DJ'ing a small affair (I was an amateur DJ, basically just doing parties for friends, dances for school organizations I was in, and once, a friend's wedding).

I find that it has a very obvious, distracting quality, which could probably be eliminated with careful tweaking. I'd much prefer to have an alert soundman to do the dirty work (or just have my levels pre-adjusted if I know I'll be speaking during the music).

I'll also second the comment that the Passport system wasn't really made with magicians (or DJ's or bands) in mind. It's definitely great for providing acoustic back-up for speakers or in lecture environments, but I don't like it that well for more theatrical performances. It does well for its price and size, though!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5711 Posts

Profile of Regan
I am also a singer/songwriter/guitarist so I use my Passport for music gigs as well as magic shows. The music gigs are the main reason I bought a PD-250. I think if I only used it for magic I might have gotten the lighter PD-150, but for my singing gigs I needed the larger system. I have a large PA system for huge venues, but I needed something for smaller places. The Fender Passport 250 delivers for me.

At music gigs I usually run 3 vocal mics, a guitar and a drum machine (and sometimes a CD or tape player/recorder) through it. For magic I usually run a wireless mic, a handheld mic, a CD player and/or a minidisc player through it.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
Quote:
On 2006-03-10 01:03, Frank Starsini wrote:
Can't you can adjust the sensitivity for this? I have not had a problem but have only used it sparingly.

what microphones do you use with the fender?

Frank,
I'm using a Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 with a DPA headband microphone (I think the model is 4065 or 4066 if I recall correctly). I also use one of the wired microphones that comes with the pd250.

Tony

www.anthonysisti.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Question for Fender Passport owners (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL