The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin or card? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hobowill
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of hobowill
I my self perfer cards more but I was wodering which type of magic most people enjoy performing more, card or coin?
Also I would like to know why and for what reasons people like the different types.
hobowill
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of hobowill
Sorry Spelling error, wondering*
SuperMagicMozart
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SuperMagicMozart
You won't get a straight answer - what you're asking really is just a matter of personal preference.

Card magic is generally more accessible to beginners - we're all familiar with at least some form of card magic from the age of 8. That being said, card magic is, as a field, easier to break into. It is possible to know some basic sleights or even only a few self-working tricks and get along. Cards, however, are notorious for being gimmicked, and there's always someone who wants to interrupt the magic to check the deck or to show the group their own trick. People also don't get excited when they hear the words "card trick" - they all think they're going to watch somebody deal 50 cards and realize that they forgot how to do the trick.

Coin magic takes a little bit more diligence to learn, in my opinion, and there's very little to whet your appetite. There's no such thing as a self-working coin trick (without gimmicks), and an actual routine will require mastery of at least a few sleights. Also, coin magic, once more, in my opinion, takes more practice to be performable. While no form of magic should be done without any, coin magic with no practice is obvious. At the same time, coin magic is appealing because the objects are common and generally not seen as suspicious, and most coin magic is naturally visual. Also, borrowing a deck of cards is much harder than borrowing some coins. Coins require less set-up, too, and even that can often be done in front of the spectators. One problem with coin tricks is that the basic effects are often fairly similar - there's only so much you can do. Also, some of the methods tend to be easily figured out if one is observant enough.

These are taken from someone who is neither a master of card magic nor even a student of coin magic(I can do a few vanishes), so take it for what it's worth. Regardless, I think it'd be good to have a wide variety of tricks.
hobowill
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of hobowill
Sounds good, I agree with your theory on the differences and can also see how important it is to have many different styles.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
It is impossible to say whether they like coins, cards, or any other stuff more. It will all depend on your presentation - if your presentation is good, and they like you, they will like all your magic.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 04:42, calexa wrote: if your presentation is good, and they like you, they will like all your magic.

Magixx

that's how it really is. Spot on Calexa

You have to bring the magic in the atmospher, don't depend on the magic to bring you to the atmospher. If that make sense?

Zac
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
george kaye
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of george kaye
Dear Hobo,
There are only so many things a magician can do to something or someone. They can destroy and repair they can vanish they can appear, they can transport (vanish and appear)they can make it change colour, can make it grow (oh matron) they can diminish it and they can levitate it. All of these things you can do with a pack of cards. Unfortunately when your spectator describes what you did they will say "well he did some card tricks".
It all comes down to the 'great truth'. If people like you they will like what you do. If they do not like you they will not like, whatever, you do. You can be the greatest 'finger flinger' in the world, if they don't like you, they will not like what you do.
Hugs,
George
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I don't know about the whole world but for me card works find..of course it is not as magical as coins but if you do a card to ceiling, card to wallet, card warp kind of stuff you will get super reactions..when I do a coin trick I always feel as if it is not perfect at all..probably coins take more practice..its a lil heavy and you have to toss around..i am sticking with cards right now..and there are much more dvds and books on card magic better than any other magic..there are many choices of tricks whicj you can choose the one that suits you well..
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
It true that a charming performance can turn almost any cheap trick in a miracle. Nevertheless there are effects that will impress the audience more than other

Done in their hands and with their stuff an effect will often amaze people.
They get their share of fame and are puzzled knowing that this coin / handkerchief / card never showed any magical abilities before.

Where is the connection to coins and cards? Well, I remember more effects done in the hand of the spectator with cards, but that maybe because I pay little attention to coins so far. On the other hand, it's easier to borrow a coin than a deck.
(Ok, expect when performing for a bunch of magician, then you can borrow almost anything).

I love cards, but it is a love shared only with magician. No normal spectator remembered that fancy flourishes but they all recalled the sponge ball effect.

So maybe the answer is neither coin nor card but sponge balls - Cruel World! Smile
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Cards, coins, sponge balls or levitating tables can all be entertaining. It just depends on the performer doesn't it? Can he catch and keep my interest? Does he entertain me? To me, there's a big difference when a magician try to impress an audience and when he tries to entertain.

/J
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Even the best performer needs to decide which effects to perform in given time.
To catch the audience interest and make them feel good for me some tricks work especially well. Those which
  1. make people laugh

2. get people involved
      - in the actual handling
      - by borrowing and using their stuff
      - emotionally
@jocce
What are your criteria to pick from that thousands of card and coin effects?
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
My criteria? I only do coins but when I pick something I choose something that amuse me. I figure that if it doesn't amuse me, then it doesn't fit my personality and thus I would do it poorly.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I had read somewhere... I can't remember, but what was said id that for a close-up performer, what they should have as a minimum is "cards, coins and something else" for the variety. I am not saying this works for or is even reasonable to everyone. I however have taken it to heart. I believe that cards and coins both hold their own, neither being better, just a difference of flavor so to speak. My opinion is watching card trick after card trick can get boring, as can almost everything else when done ad-nauseum. although doing a card trick or two then a coin trick or two and throw in the shell game or something (Whit Haydn has a really good routine, taken somewhat from Bob Kohler) can mix things up. This of course is only if time and circumstance will allow.

To more directly answer the original question, I do like performing with cards more, but it's really not that much more fun, as I enjoy it all greatly.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Here's one thing to think about (of course, it all depends on whether you value being able to perform something on the spot or not): Unless you move around in poker-playing circles, you're unlikely to be carrying a deck of cards with you. If you do, people are immediately going to suspect something.

On the other hand, we've all got coins in our pocket, so what better way to be able to perform something at a moment's notice, without being suspected of using gimmicks, than showing a coin trick.
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
... or rubber bands, or business cards or other common, everyday things that you or anyone else might happen to carry around. I agree with Josh. A bit of variety in props can never be wrong. Or?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin or card? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL