The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Common Magic questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
In light of another discussion I started in the (Not very magical, Still..) section found here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32

The robot that discussion is linked to is just a trial one. I'm making another one for the purpose you're about to read about.

I'm trying to gather all kinds of questions someone who's studying magic might ask. It's my hope that eventually I'll have an Artificial Intelligence wizard magicians can go to and ask questions. It's a chat with a robot but I want to try and make it so you'd be able to go there for help. I know this is kind fo silly but I like silly things and this is just an idea I thought would be neat. Who knows how it'll turn out. I'm sure it'll take a long time before I can train the program enough to actually be useful but I'm going to give it a go.

So if you have a moment maybe you can help me out by writing some questions and answers if possible. Then I'll be able to put them into the AI (Artificial Intelligence) program. Questions beginners to magic might ask. If you know the answer to the questions I'd appreciate it but if you don't just post it anyway. The questions and answers have to be fairly short because it's in the contents of a discussion. Let me share a couple of examples:
Quote:
Q-What is a thumb tip?
A-A gimmick with many uses. It's main use is to vanish small objects.

Q-Where can I find a thumb tip?
A-I suggest a seach. Most magic dealers and websites carry them.

Q-Expert at the Card Table
A-A very good book on card magic.

Q-Who wrote Expert at the Card Table?
A-S.W. Erdnase

Q-Where can I learn how to levitate?
A-There are many methods available. Do a search.

Q-How can I contact Ron Jaxon?
A-Magicjax.com
(I just used myself as an example) Smile

I hope you get the idea. Questions that ask how to do something would be best to direct them to a source of that information. Such as:

Q-How do you do a top change?
A-The top change can be learned in this (book, site, etc...)

Thanks for your time. Who knows where this will lead but I'm going to see how it goes.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Sounds interesting, when you get it up and going tell us, I will be one of the first ones on! Here are some questions for ya, I don't know if they are any good, but I will give it a try.
-how do I get my confidence up?
-how much should I charge for a show?
-How old should the kids be that I am performing for?
-How long should the kid shows be?
-how many routines should I have if I worked in a resturaunt?
-what should I bring with me during walk around?
-what are the things I should bring with me everywhere I go?
-Where do babys come from?:)

The last one was obviously a joke! I cant think of any more now, but I will be back!
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
-what's the best source to learn IT?
-which is better, EIT or regular IT?
-i am interested in mentalism, where to start?
-what are the types of magic?
-where to learn coin magic?
-where to learn card magic?
-when did magic start? (history of magic)
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
It depends on who will use the site but if it is absolute beginners
How do I start in magic?
Which books/DVDs etc are good to start with.
What is a good book/DVD for Jumbo Coins/CDs/Mentalism/Card magic/Coin Magic/Illusions/Close up magic/Presentation etc etc etc.
Where can I buy _______?
Who is Ron Jaxon? (just as an example) this could be Bobo, Hilliard, Wilson, Wonder or whoever. It is going to be tricky to decide which magicians names to put on here.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I found out there's a way to make this AI program learn as it goes. For example if someone entered it and said something like:

"Thumb tips are very useful"

The next time someone says a key word from that such as "Thumb tip" it might bring up a comment that was already said before. In this case it might say "Thumb tips are very useful" again. Because it learned that comment from someone else who used it. This can be helpful but also annoying. Because the word "useful" might bring up the same comment.. lol

It can also learn profanity. There is a filter on it though so I'm figuring that out. I'm hoping this will and up more like a FAQ program. Ask things like:

Q-Where can I find the Royal road to card magic book?
A-Do a search. Magic magic shops and websites carry it.
or
Q-Who wrote the Royal road to card magic book?"
A-Jean Hugard & Frederick Braué

See what I'm getting at? I might see if I can find a few macician friends to just take some time entering magic facts. The who's and where mostly. Who's it is or where to get it. More fact then opinion. I can also add advice in the moderators sections with links and everything. So I'm working on that in my spare time.

Keep the questions coming. They've been useful.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Most of the questions could be answered by the "Do a search" answer. While time consuming, perhaps you could do something like: Where to learn coin magic? = Rubenstein's Encyclopedia.... Michael Ammar's Easy to master.... then as it went on people would add their favorite and then you would have an index perhaps people could rate the answers so the most popular would be at the top then down through the list you would see other less popular perhaps, but informational resources.

As far as questions are we targetting people who are coming for answers, or directing them to where they can get answers I.E. How do you do the tenkai with cards? or, What book teaches the tenkai palm?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Just semantics but it is Braue not Brau.( I am not sure if my computer is just displaying it incorrectly since it is set to chinese and not english) Same pronunciation though.
Regarding books and dvds for certain things maybe rather make a book list and allow magicians to rate it by writing a 20 or 30 words about it. That way the material does get rated but a newcomer or magician can search the list of comments until they find a comment or two from a magician they know or/and respect and then make a judgement accordingly.
It wold also be nice to get a list of magic shops in certain areas and then if you click on your country or area a list of shops in your area could be displayed. Would be especially helpful in a foreign country like here in Taiwan. It took me almost a year to find a proper magic shop that wasn't just a gadget store with some odd and stupid tricks or the odd TT or whatever.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Yep, I agree with the search thing.

Question: What is a Thumb tip?

Answer: Do a search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q......e+Search

1.6 million leads on there. Should keep you busy for a while. Search item no 3 explains what it is.

Question: Where can I contact Ron Jaxon

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q......e+Search

Only 945 items there. But enough for an evening's browsing. Suprise, suprise, item no 1 gives his email address in the context notes. You don't even have to view the webpage. Amazing.

Question: Why am I too lazy to use google?

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&......G=Search

2.2 Million results this time. The first 100 look to contain some really usefull advice about the pros and cons of Google, being lazy, and various searching techniques.
Miker
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA Area
11 Posts

Profile of Miker
Jaxon: This looks like the A.L.I.C.E bot engine. Are you using A.L.I.C.E? I think that it is cool that you are tailoring it to a specific use.

Bravo!
Miker
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The first one I tried is the A.L.I.C.E bot. I'm still playing around with that one but I'm trying a few others as well. One of the other ones I'm trying out seems to work better for what I'm trying to do. The A.L.I.C.E is much better for a conversation with the bot but I'm hoping to make this more informative.

I'm working on putting a search right into it. So if a question is asked and the answer is not in the "brain" of the program. The answer might say something like this:

The answer to your question was not found in my memory but I did a search and this is what I found"

Then a list of links or a link to the search results will appear in the answer.

Let me show you an example of one used to share information. This example is called (Hampy the Hamster Expert). You can ask it questions about hamsters. It's got some good information in it. I also like the fact that with this program I can put HTML codes in the answer including images and links.

So if you want to see what it's like. Click here. Enter the nick name you want the chat to call you then enter. Ask it questions about hamsters and see how it gives answers. This is the kind of thing I'm trying to make on magic.

Ron Jaxon

Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Hampy did have problems with two of my four questions. Is mating them difficult? Are there any famous hampsters? Ron it would seem to me that many of the headings of posts at the Café would be a rich source of questions. You have set for yourself a monumental task. Good luck with it.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Miker
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia PA Area
11 Posts

Profile of Miker
I checked out the hamster bot and it is not bad. I tried to ask it the answer to a joke and it took me way too seriously.

Q: "What happens when you pick a hamster up by the tail?"
A: "Wet tail is a very infectious disease...."

It did give a lot of good information, though.

As for A.L.I.C.E, I think that this bot is open source. If so, you could contact the administrator and ask for the additional functionality of search. It has been such a long time since I looked at it that I don't know if it still is open source or not.

Best of luck with this endeavor. It has the potential for being an excellent resource.

Miker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Common Magic questions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL