The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
Yes.
He has more knowledge about magic then most people think.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I don't think he is a better technician than Criss Angel. I think Criss is technically more sound but Blaine is good enough to have had a very succesful career up to now. That does not come easily.
I like what he does for magic but I do not know him personally so I will not answer the question as such.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Davids Presentation is what makes him well known, his skill can be duplicated easily but the way he presents his magic is unique and that's why he is so popular. I LIKE DAVID BLAINE their I said it
Who is Tattoo Joe?
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Yes, I like David Blaine.

If I had the good-looking appearance of David I'd probably do a lot better as a magician. We are all delt the hand we have and he has done well with his.

I also think David Blaine has done a lot to promote our craft.

Take care,
L2L
Anubis
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
68 Posts

Profile of Anubis
Well, If it wasn't for Mr. Blaine, I wouldn't have gotten back into magic. That's right, back. I started magic when I was around 10 or so with one of those cheap sets from the toy store. Then I started getting into cards a little but then picked up guitar and threw magic away. Then one day I saw Blaine do '2 Card Monte/Be Honest, Which is it?' and then came back to the wonderful world of mystery and imagination.
"Is this your card?"

"No."
*throws deck*
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1952 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Its funny how this post has come up again, but on this thread, there are more people that have changed their thoughts about him... I remember when everyone in the Café thought he was a poser and now he is more accepted because of what he has done for magic and not what he can do technically... I too am not a big fan but I do like what he has done for the art...
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Nik_Mikas
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
159 Posts

Profile of Nik_Mikas
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 02:49, ziatro wrote:
I must admit he is technically a very competent magician, and a fantastic self-publicist, but from a personal standpoint I think his presentational style does nothing to enhance the art of magic that I so love.

Yeah. REAL magicians stick to out-dated one-liners, rhyming patter, and other people's jokes. Screw originality. Who says "art" isn't a bunch of uncool old guys doing the same sponge ball routine as everyone else while people try to eat?
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
In a word, No. In a sentence, no, I really don't care for him at all. Here's the longer version. I don't care for his presentation, or lack thereof. I hate his stupid physical challenges. Standing on a pole, living in an ice cube, sitting on the crapper, all those do not qualify as magic, nor as entertainment in my book. However, he has brought attention back to magic. One thing I REALLY hate is when I'm at a gig and someone says, "Oh, like that guy who levitates himself?" At that point I have NO problem whatsoever telling them that somet things they see on his specials can't be done in the real world. And living in a giant ice cube, just isn't magic.
Essie
View Profile
Loyal user
Boulder, CO
278 Posts

Profile of Essie
I appreciate what he's done for magic (and I do enjoy his style), but I don't like his excessive use of camera editing.
"Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable."
-Jeff McBride
dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 06:15, brokin6 wrote:
I really have to say that I like him as a magician and a performer. Yes maybe his performance style is a little dry but it works for him. As far as his skill anyone that can perform simple switch while performing on the street for strangers comfortably is obviously no slouch. Plus his curky-cue move was pretty nice too. but besides all that, technical skill is what is used to complete an effect and maybe it wasn't pretty at times (cough pass cough) but it worked for him.

What would you expect with Paul Harris as your mentor? David and Mckenzie are pretty cool guys.

Eric
allanmania
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of allanmania
I love him. I don't get sucked in to the biased Blaine point of view.

He's done so much for magic and I appreciate everything he's done.
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
I find his presentations . . . boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring. Smile
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Micheal640,

I think most of the people reading this thread can do a decent double lift. As far a personality goes.. I think it all comes down to a matter of preferences. I personally don't find " Can I show you something? Watch, Watch, No Watch! Watch!" very entertaining. I would rather spend my time watching other performers who have taken a LOT of time and have developed their performing character. I am not really knocking him for he has a lot going for him. I agree with what a lot of Ken Weber wrote about him in his book Maximum Entertainment. It's just not my taste. That's all.

Rick
Self concept is destiny..
james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Profile of james-harrington
I do yes... A lot of magicians seem to be saying pretty bad stuff about Blaine. Is it jealousy? I think so. Laymen loved his close up magic, isn't that the most important thing? Do you think he cares that magicians want to put him down?! Of course not!

David Blaine is one of the very few magicians who can walk up to a group of people and leave with them thinking he did real, no-fooling, Son of God magic. So if you don't like his presentation what does that matter? Laymen like it, it works and people ARE affected emotionally by it.

All he has done is removed all the crap from his performance, his focus is solely on the effect. There are no complicated plots, no bad jokes, just "hey look, I'm going to show you something amazing"... and it is amazing and that is what he wants to entertain with!

I will admit a few years ago I did put David Blaine down to everyone who asked about him. I was green with envy because I knew I could do what he did but I wasn't famous... but he is famous because he was the first magician to go on tv where the focus was totally on the effects and the way they affected his audience. Laymen respect him and love his magic... therefore so do I!

James
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I guess I like him. I might not like some of the "look, look, look,..." patter he has, but he does seem to get people interested. He also gets paid a lot more than I do, and he has brought magic to the general public. Many of the people I see or work with ask if I saw the latest Blaine special.

I wish he would use less camera editing, but I understand why. I also don't care much for the stunts he does, block of ice, etc., but he seems pretty good with cards and other sleights. I am sure he has some good stuff coming up in the near future.

Another reason I like him is sometimes when I perform magic, people say, "dang, you're even better than Blaine!!"
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
I'm not a big, big fan. Or a big fan. Or maybe not even a fan. I did like one resident Café member's joke.
Paraphrasing: "When someone asks to see a 'David Blaine' trick I tell them to think of any card in a normal deck of cards. 'Go ahead, think of ANY card', I say. After they do this I ask, 'OK, what was your card?' At first they haggle because they think it ruins the trick but I asure them that it is all right to tell me. So the spec says, 'three of spades.' I then wait a couple of seconds and announce, 'three of spades' as though I had divined their card. Invariably the person gets confused: 'hey, where's the magic?' to which I answer, 'just wait until we edit it together!'

The trouble with Blaine is that I think his fame and public admiration (far) exceeds his abilities and innovations. I like his performing style more than Criss Angel, at least when he gives that dumb, blank expression. I don't care for the melodramatic stuff so much.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
YEEEEEEEEES

The "look, look, watch" seems like a well thought out part of his presentation. It fits his style very well. It does get the attention, and seems completely impromptu (not something scripted that lets the spectator know it's part of an act) The effects he creates with this type of presentation are completely different than somebody doing the same tricks with joke lines.
It makes that line of the real and illusion disapear, the spectator is left to wonder, and becomes a very powerful effect.
It sets him apart from the bunch who are just doing tricks.

THE HOUSE OF MAGIC HAS ROOM FOR ALL ITS DIFFERENT VENUES

Will
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
You could say the same about Harry Potter.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 21:45, Cain wrote:
I'm not a big, big fan. Or a big fan. Or maybe not even a fan. I did like one resident Café member's joke.
Paraphrasing: "When someone asks to see a 'David Blaine' trick I tell them to think of any card in a normal deck of cards. 'Go ahead, think of ANY card', I say. After they do this I ask, 'OK, what was your card?' At first they haggle because they think it ruins the trick but I assure them that it is all right to tell me. So the spec says, 'three of spades.' I then wait a couple of seconds and announce, 'three of spades' as though I had divined their card. Invariably the person gets confused: 'hey, where's the magic?' to which I answer, 'just wait until we edit it together!'

The trouble with Blaine is that I think his fame and public admiration (far) exceeds his abilities and innovations. I like his performing style more than Criss Angel, at least when he gives that dumb, blank expression. I don't care for the melodramatic stuff so much.

It is rather petty to destroy magic for people, in the guise of magician. This person with their silly joke do no harm at all David Blaine. None. They manage only to confuse, slightly irritate, perhaps make a few people nervous at best, at worst, take away the magic for them. Magic is a sentiment, remember that. They also, of course, distance yourself further from the trappings of David Blaine's 'position' every time they attempt such foolishness.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
It's not so much that I like David Blaine, but I dislike what David Blaine is not (sort of like "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"). He does not perform with any goofy hocus pocus. His magic (as unoriginal and trite as it can sometimes be) is performed with a straight ahead style that does not insult his target audience with silly magician presentational cliches.

Purists will deride him for editing his performances, but then many purists deride the use of gaffs and deck switches. A TV magician is operating in a different medium than a parlor magician or a street magician. Whatever works well in whatever medium is just fine with me. Saying that you shouldn't edit your performances on video are sort of like saying musicians shouldn't overdub or use studio technology on their CDs, and it all should be just like a live recording. But a recording is a different art form entirely than a live performance, just like made-for-television magic is a different art form than parlor or stage magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL