The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Guess them New Yorkers won't show up to watch some dude stand on a pole either or lie under a fish tanke eh? Yup, them slickers ain't phased by nuttin' no way no how. By golly, I bet ol' David has to beg for spectators and he just happens to get those that scream, stagger in large circles, then slap each other around prior to talking to the camera they ignore. Yup, dem Yankees is pure pizen!
Steve V <--could set up a camera in New York and talk people into chasing chickens if they thought it would get them on TV.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
Of course he shoots in New york, and new yorkers(contrary to your prior statement) aren't phased by a camera crew.

I always find it interesting seeing someone speak for a few million people in a broad sweeping statement like the above.

DB has maybe highlighted a hundred New Yorkers in his various TV specials, is your suggestion that out of millions of New Yorkers there isn't a hundred souls that wouldn't love to be on a National TV show, and wouldn't do just about whatever they were told to do in order to get onto that TV show?
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2006-11-15 13:04, silverking wrote:
Quote:
Of course he shoots in New york, and new yorkers(contrary to your prior statement) aren't phased by a camera crew.

I always find it interesting seeing someone speak for a few million people in a broad sweeping statement like the above.

DB has maybe highlighted a hundred New Yorkers in his various TV specials, is your suggestion that out of millions of New Yorkers there isn't a hundred souls that wouldn't love to be on a National TV show, and wouldn't do just about whatever they were told to do in order to get onto that TV show?

People who ignore camera crews and don't want to be on TV = New York. Who doesn't know that?
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Check out any NBC or CBS Nationaly broadcast morning show from New York City, any day of the week.
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Tourists

Posted: Nov 16, 2006 4:46pm
Yes all of them
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of TheMagicalTurtle
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 00:04, Steve V wrote:
I'm in San Jose, Silicon Valley...not exactly hicks (I'm moving to where there are hicks though). So Blaine didn't shoot in NY? Goodness, that didn't look like Georgia to me.
Steve V
I would appreciate a definition of "hicks".
It is no sin to attempt and fail.
The only sin is to not make the attempt.
-Suellen Fried
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2006-11-16 16:45, giochi wrote:
Tourists

Your ability to counter all ideas with your obvious carefully researched facts (I'm sure you're in Times Square each and every day interviewing those standing about in order to determine that they're tourists) has certainly taught me a lesson.
You're obviously a New Yorker who clearly represents all New Yorkers, and all tourists visiting New York.

I'm humbled.
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

I see that you have no intention of replying to my request of your definition of hicks, so I'd like to ask you why you would come to our message boards, a place to learn and help other magicians, and say things for a group of people that you don't know. Maybe if you could tell me what you think a hick is, then I could help you understand that a person from the south is NOT a hick. Maybe you should study the place you're accusing a "hick place" and find out if it is, in actuality, a place with no one more than people who live in trailors and do nothing but drink. That was directed to Steve.

This is directed toward Giochi. You have no right to speak for the people of New York when you call everyone wanting to be on TV or the Today Show tourists, nor do you have the right to call people of whom you are not familiar with "hicks". If you are going to say something offensive, please have at least SOMETHING to back up your statement.
-Suellen Fried
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hey Turtle, it's OK, this is a tounge in cheek conversation about David Blaine and those who might jump up and down to get on TV with him.

Your note about "our message boards" directed towards Steve V. is extrememly misplaced. Steve has contributed TONS to this board starting long before your or my arrival here , and as a relative newcomer here you should probably sit back and sample the wares before getting fired up and into some sort of flame war. (note Steve's 1883 posts, that's your clue). Just as a note, guys don't really have to explain themselves here on the Café unless they choose to. It's not something you can unload on a guy for......if you keep doing it you'll quickly run out of Café friends.

And although I believe Giochi to be misguided in his post, I'm hardly mad at the guy or looking to "get him", I'm enjoying the banter with him......that's what folks do here, banter.

Giochi has just as much right to post here as I do (or you for that matter). If he chooses to speak for the people of New York, so be it, ya gotta roll with it!

It's all in good humour my friend, take a breath.
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
Usual Café drama.
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
What I think is good about David Blaine is that he has brought a lot of interest back into magic however I personally don't like his personality during performance. He's chosen to put on an almost "scary" type of show by just saying "watch, watch, watch, this is what is happening." It's great that he's brought more interest in it. However by far I'd rather see Bill Malone and his upbeat attitude and hilarious performance than David Blaine's show.
I want to go far...
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-11-17 23:11, silverking wrote:
Hey Turtle, it's OK, this is a tounge in cheek conversation about David Blaine and those who might jump up and down to get on TV with him.

Your note about "our message boards" directed towards Steve V. is extrememly misplaced. Steve has contributed TONS to this board starting long before your or my arrival here , and as a relative newcomer here you should probably sit back and sample the wares before getting fired up and into some sort of flame war. (note Steve's 1883 posts, that's your clue). Just as a note, guys don't really have to explain themselves here on the Café unless they choose to. It's not something you can unload on a guy for......if you keep doing it you'll quickly run out of Café friends.

And although I believe Giochi to be misguided in his post, I'm hardly mad at the guy or looking to "get him", I'm enjoying the banter with him......that's what folks do here, banter.

Giochi has just as much right to post here as I do (or you for that matter). If he chooses to speak for the people of New York, so be it, ya gotta roll with it!

It's all in good humour my friend, take a breath.
I completely agree about my comment on "Our Message Boards". Looking back, it was completely misplaced. I do apologize. Looking back at my message, I saw that I said "Without having something to back up your statement." I now feel somewhat of a hippocrate.

The reason this started, I suppose, would be the fact that the word hick has always gotten my panties in a knot, so to speak. In my blind rage, I did say some things that I wish I had rephrased (or at least looked into). Also, I had no intention of starting a "flame war". I was mad, simply put. I do apologize to Giochi and especially Steve. Hopefully I can get started on a new foot with my fellow Café members, and I ask that you accept my apologies.
-Suellen Fried
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
No worries Turtle, you're as welcome here as the rest of us!
TheMagicalTurtle
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Thank you. I feel welcome. I believe I'll think about what I'm going to make public next time I put a message on the boards.

Now on the subject of David Blaine. I actually do like him. I find his magic sort of addictive. It's the kind of magic that is unblievable, but also fairly simple (in some cases, easy). So yes, I do like David Blaine. I find him better than Mr. Angel, but their magic is very, very different. Mr. Blaine seems like a pretty likeable guy. I think his dull monotone is part of his TV "act", if you will.

Just my opinion.
-Suellen Fried
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
I agree with you, Blaine is a much better magician/showman, his dead pan look is part of his character, and he does it very well. Angel on the other hand has exausted his character, he repeats too many things to the point that laymen are figuring him out. Think about this Blaine comes out once or every two years to do magic and stunts and his popularity is always on high, he's a big buzz when he comes out. But Angel comes out every week, and I still notice that everybody talks about Blaine even more than Angel when he comes out with a stunt. By some of the interviews and things Criss says you bet he is still jealouse that he struggles to gain the respect that Blaine has gotten from the magic community.
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
He is good, I like him.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 22:20, SOHA wrote:
YEEEEEEEEES

The "look, look, watch" seems like a well thought out part of his presentation. It fits his style very well. It does get the attention, and seems completely impromptu (not something scripted that lets the spectator know it's part of an act) The effects he creates with this type of presentation are completely different than somebody doing the same tricks with joke lines.
It makes that line of the real and illusion disapear, the spectator is left to wonder, and becomes a very powerful effect.
It sets him apart from the bunch who are just doing tricks.

THE HOUSE OF MAGIC HAS ROOM FOR ALL ITS DIFFERENT VENUES

Will

Yes, there is room for everyone in the house of magic. But I don't have to like each person in the house equally!

I think Blaine does a lot of cool stuff. I even like his presentation of "counter magic" like the Invisable Deck. But lately there's been less and less magic in each special and he's just not entertaining enough as a person for me to watch him when he's <not> doing magic.

Posted: Nov 23, 2006 1:22pm
Quote:
On 2006-11-13 04:16, giochi wrote:
Of course he shoots in New york, and new yorkers(contrary to your prior statement) aren't phased by a camera crew. Maybe those in georgia will go crazy when they see a camera, but its just not that easy in a town where cameras are around all the time.

I've seen "The In-Laws," "Arthur," "Hair" and "The Rose" shooting in NYC. No one was really "phased" by the event, but a lot of people did hang around the set watching absolutly <nothing> interesting going on.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I love David Blaine's street magic, but I really don't care about his stunts. I find him entertaining, and his "lack of style/dry presentation" is his style.
- C
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL