The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Learning fire magic safely (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
It's before noon, so this may not be coherent, thou hath been warned.

What's a good book on the subject of fire magic? One that has a good focus on safety. Preferably not too expensive, I'm a college student after all.

When one is learning these tricks and illusions that use fire, what safety measures do you recommend?

What kind of training is required to obtain a license for and the knowledge to properly use professional pyrotechnics. (I expect such a goal is a long way off yet, but since I'm at the college all the time anyway...)
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
That depends on the laws of the jurisdiction where you are performing.

SOME EVEN consider flash paper and flash cotton to be "class-something-or-other"
explosives, and possesion of same my even prompt the local idiots to call the FBI or BATF. Er... "bomb making material, you know".

I had a humorous experience a while back.

I gave a little show at a state mental hospital for an event for the patients and staff.

I used my flint flasher with some FC and sparkle addative.

When I was done, one old biddie, I guess thinking I was one of the patients, came over and gave me the third degree about the thing.

I thought she was gonna call the feds or something.
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
My first recommendation is that you find someone locally who has experience and can teach you.

But since that isn't always possible, make sure that you survey your enviroment very well before lighting anything. Look around for flammables and remove them. Look at the floor, (carpets will burn). Look above you at the ceilings (I saw a plumber light a ceiling when his torch hit a bunch of cobwebs, they went up like flash paper and began to lite the joists. And it took a bit to put it all out)

Think about what you are wearing, how flamable is it? Don't have loose clothing around fire.

Have a fire extinguisher handy. You never know when you will need it, and it is much wiser to have it, and not need it, than to need it, and not have it!

If at all possible have someone with you as a backup. Make sure it is someone who knows what is supposed to burn, and when. So if something gets out of control, they aren't standing around thinking it is part of the
"act."

Don't start with big pieces of flammables (paper, cotton, etc). Begin with small pieces in a controlled situation. Then, IF it is really necessary to upsize the material, you will know how much is practical.

A 2 x 2 piece of flash paper will do a nice job for a lot of coin things etc, and be relatively safe, if properly handled.

If you are using flammable liquids, you have a whole new level of concerns since you have to worry about properly containing the liquid, and fumes, etc. A metal table top with ridges around the edges to contain and spilled liquid, is best for practicing with these kinds of things. But watch out for doing it in closed areas, or with closed containers. Flammable liquids should be reserved for pyro professionals, and I recommend that you stay away from it. Even lighter fluid can be dangerous if handled wrong.

Watch out when trying to combine fire with other effects - some of the other stuff may upset the plan, or simply be flammable.

But probably the best advice I can give is; rethink the need for fire. A lot of mileage can be gained from FISM Flash or d'Lites etc, which are more easily controllable and provide a safe operation under almost all conditions.

Be careful out there. I knew a man who actually manufactured flash paper. So he knew a lot about it. But he ended up dying of severe flash paper induced burns when he had a problem transporting it in his van. He had done the same thing a hundred times before, but this time - something went very wrong and he died a painful lingering death. And there is another experienced magician form back east (see the looking out for our own forum for more specifics) who experienced a flash powder explosion in his hands. And the results were horrifying.

Remember this stuff is actually dangerous. So, be Careful out there!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
Check with the local fire chief, in some areas they control and even give classes on Pyro Licensing. My son in law, is in the process of getting his, and says it is very easy if you jump thru the right hoops.

Smile
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
You will need various licenses/permits with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (ATF) and the State/cities where you live or are performing, and various other localities to allow to import, transport, store, buy, manufacture (mix) and display (shoot) all types of explosives involved in a pyrotechnic display.

You must have a permit from the local authorities having jurisdiction and must pull a permit from the local fire dept. and have schedule fire watch with the fire Marshal's office. That is to have the fire alarms shut off and a fireman on location.

You will need to provide a $1,000,000.00 Class "C" 1.4G Explosives liability insurance policy and that is required on all pyro shoots. This is a policy that is just for pyro and not a general liability policy.

You will have to show your qualifications (that is why you need to be trained professionaly) (bio) and show that you're certified with NFPA 1126 national fire codes for Standards for the use of Pyrotechnics before a Proximate Audience. Showing Your Log Book of shows performed to the Fire Marshalls office and the related information of facilities and the MSDS for the effects. Heavy fines and arrest can occur for shooting without being licensed and insured.
This can include open flame and smoke machines in some cities.

You need to follow National Life code 101, fire codes 1126 to pull a permit. The test is on the regulations for indoor pyro and is a 25-50 question written test. You can't not use Pyro unless you follow all of the above and that's for any state in the U.S.A.

ATF is now requiring you to have an alternate storage facility that is a magazine type.

You must treat pyro, like rock bands.. to the letter of the law.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
"Oh my sweet mother of destruction!" -Frugle
I think that sums up my reaction nicely.

But I can see the reasoning for the restrictions, fire is dangerous stuff.
Thank you for the information so far ladies and gentlemen.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
qurgh
View Profile
New user
Independence, KY
51 Posts

Profile of qurgh
Theatre Effects has a nice little book called Special Effects With Fire & Smoke: A Technical Manual. It's a great introduction to pyrotechniques and teaches you all the different types of effects and how to produce them. It gives you information on how to handle the materials, how to set things up and what not to do.

You can find it on the Theatre Effects web page at http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce.......s_videos
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
But for fire wallets, fire books and single use flash paper, is this necessary? I mean the fire wallets last a few hours once primed at the most.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Learning fire magic safely (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL