The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » rubber bands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stone_monkey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of stone_monkey
I am interested in rubber band magic and was wondering what book/movie i should get.
please help...
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
First of all let me say welcome and good to see you posting so soon after joining the Café, coz thats what its about asking the questions.
In answer to your question and in my opinion the best way to learn effects are videos/dvds.I found it very hard with the written manuscripts but after watching it done found it all made sense.
The videos i would recommend are;

Band Shark by Dan Harland

Classic Renditions by Michael Ammar

There will be enough to keep you busy for months and features among others the famous C.M.H.
As i said earlier this is only my humble opinion others may post otherwise here
regards Trevor Smile
stone_monkey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of stone_monkey
thank you for your help, I will look for those right away
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Mr. Monkey,

After getting the videos/DVDs check out the cheap pamphlet "slydini's rubberband mystery" by Bluestone.

It basically takes the CMH routine, adds a few touches, and DEEPLY goes into the misdirection to pull off the routine and truely make it magical to your specatators instead of just a "TRICK" you pulled on them.

You can apply the lessons learned in that little cheap pamphlet to all the magic you do and your magishing will improve dramatically.

just a tip.

frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Frank I never seen this phamplet by Slydini is there any way you can send it to me to look at. or where ica purchase this pamplet
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2016 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I'd be interested in the Slydini pamphlet too if anyone has a source for it.

Quinn
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
This is good stuff. But i reccomend Ebony & Irovy. Best Rubber band trick i have ever seen. It is a gimmick but o well can't win them all. Smile Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Pytro I heard ebony and ivory is a wonderful trick,,,, but like you said its gimmicked
Chris kenner has a linking rubber band effect called missing link it s by far the best out there and is very visual. and the bands can be handed out .and theres no gimmick
check it out vinny
Come check out my magic.

alby
View Profile
New user
Mexico
13 Posts

Profile of alby
A great source for rubber band magic is the Encyclopedia of Rubber Band Magic, Elastrix, that has two volumes, volume I written by Ed Mishell and Abe Horwitz and volume II by Stephen Minch. Particulary, rubber band magic, is difficult to learn from books but the material contained here is worth the effort.

Albi
mip
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of mip
Bernard Sim also has a linking rubber band trick called Really Linked available from Bernard and from a book by Scott F Guinn.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1610 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Must disagree with Alby about Elastrix. I bought vol 1 recently and was very disappointed. It's mainly filled with elementary puzzles and childish stunts. Its description of the unlinking bands (often known by Ammar's name of Crazy Man's handcuffs) is shockingly bad.

I have recently started performing "CMH" after picking it up and putting it down and practising more for 2-3 years. It took me that long to get comfortable with it enough for performance. If anything is worth the wait and the practice, this is it. It STUNS people! The description in The Magic Of Michael Ammar is perfect. I believe he has released it also as a "classic rendition".

i hesitate to recommend it so heartily as the fewer people doing it the better, IMO, but hey - it's that good!
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
BillParky
View Profile
Regular user
Atherton,Manchester,U.K.
123 Posts

Profile of BillParky
I agree with Ross about Elastrix 1 which is pretty amateurish. However, Elastrix 2 which describes the creations of Joe Rindfleisch (who sometimes contributes to this forum) is much better both in content and instructional quality. Also all three volumes of 'Magic with rubber bands' by Dan Harlan are terrific videos in addition to his Band Shark. How does he find enough rubber band material to fill 4 videos?
Bill Smile
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of maratekin
The three-volume Harlan set is very good; I agree with the earlier assessment of Elastrix, Vol. 1. I have Vol. 2 on order, so I can't speak to it. Some other sources to consider:

- Michael Weber's "Lifesavers" includes a version of Chris Kenner's "Missing Link"
- Chris Kenner's book "Out of Control/Totally Out of Control" contains his version of "Missing Link"
- Jeff Pierce has a manuscript in PDF format that is a very good linking ring to rubber band trick (plus, it was really cheap)

If I had one choice, I'd go with the Harlan series on DVD (DVD is much easier to navigate through that VHS).

Good luck, Stone Monkey!

Mark
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
I have to agree with the Harlan series recommendation. Dan pretty well covers anything you might want to do with a rubberband in his series. I would agree with the DVD recommendation. I have a 'ton' of tapes and only a couple of DVD's at this time, but I can tell you that searching on the DVD is 100 times better than the forward/reverse routine on the tapes.

DonB
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16948 Posts

Profile of joseph
After watching Harlan do the Professor's Nitemare with rubberbands, I have to conclude something "snapped" in his head! Get the Harlan band shark tapes. They will keep you busy for months. Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of maratekin
Following up on my earlier post...

I received Elastrix, Vol. 2, and it is great! Very solid material, and a bargain at $15.

Good luck -

Mark
Florian Rago
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincolnshire
202 Posts

Profile of Florian Rago
I must say that elastrix is a very good and cheap.
Florian R
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I saw a copy of Bluestone's Rubberband Mystery pamphlet at "Mostly Magic" in Santa Rosa,CA this weekend if anyone wants to call them and buy it.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Get any of Dan Harlan's rubber band magic. Everything you wanted to know on rubberbands is there.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10608 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
not every thing ,, Yes I agree Dan is the king of rubber band magic .but he dosen't have a linking rubberband that is compariable to Chris Kenners missing Link.
his linking rubberbands is one of the most visual effects ,and theres no gimmicks
it is in his book "Out of Control"
vinny
Come check out my magic.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » rubber bands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL