The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Finding Brick 'n Mortar Shops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
I will be in Austin, TX, for a few days soon. I mistakenly thought it would be easy to find out about the magic shops there. But, no, I need some help. Googling provided too much 'other stuff.' Is there a good site to help an 'out-of-towner' find serious retail shops plus the venues for street, restaurant,and theater magicians in the bigger cities?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Yellow Pages, the book.
MikeOB
View Profile
Loyal user
Doylestown, PA
217 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
I found a few at this web site

http://www.magicdirectory.com/Magic_Shopping/Shops/

Mike
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Thanks. I arrived!
Ed Hutchison
View Profile
Regular user
Madison, MS (orig. CNY)
118 Posts

Profile of Ed Hutchison
Hi, Ed.

This reply may be too late to help with this trip but for future reference you might want to go to http://www.infospace.com/ and do a search for "magic supplies."

You can also see a fairly-up-to-date list of magic shops by doing a google news group search for the alt.magic FAQ which is published periodically.
Edward Hutchison

Madison, MS

Home Page: http://www.ERHutchison.com
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Hello Ed,
I was not familiar with either web site. They are now with my 'Favorites' for future reference. Thanks

We just returned from an enjoyable 5 days in Austin. Following the recommendation here, I used the Yellow Pages. Found four magic retail shops! Unfortuanately 3 of the 4 were closed. The other was listed as a bridal shop. When I found it, the name had been changed again. It is now the Party Store, Lemar and Oltorf.

The interesting owner,told me she had been running shops there for > 30 years. TWice she had tried exclusively magic inventories. Both failed. Loving magic, she might have tried once more if plans with a local magician had materialized. He (possibly 'The Great Scott?)died this year. Her Party Shop had one counter of magic (good, but limited selections). The rest of the store was packed with fine party decorations, invitations, costumes, gags, etc.

I never found a magic performance, but there were lots of other things to do and see around Austin.

Hope to see you soon, -E
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The best thing to do when traveling to another city, if you want to find a magic shop, is to call the local IBM or SAM officers. Failing that, call a local magician.

I keep hammering home about the areas in which the internet is lacking. Finding current information of this type is one of those areas. Live people are almost always better sources.

Even yellow page ads can be hopelessly out of date. For example, if a shop closes 30 days before the yellow pages come out, that ad will be there for the entire following year. And if you aren't using one of the "real" yellow pages, or you are using the directory in your hotel, the information may be older than that.

There are a couple of other magic shops in Austin that you should have been able to find.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I've found several from the Dealers List in the back of MAGIC magazine. It's categorized by location!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
Quote:
On 2005-10-28 13:20, ehands wrote:
I will be in Austin, TX, for a few days soon. I mistakenly thought it would be easy to find out about the magic shops there. But, no, I need some help. Googling provided too much 'other stuff.' Is there a good site to help an 'out-of-towner' find serious retail shops plus the venues for street, restaurant,and theater magicians in the bigger cities?

If you ever go to Austin again, try Texas Magic Supply!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » From Soup to Nuts » » Finding Brick 'n Mortar Shops (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL