The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cheap card tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Hi, I'm new to the forum and card magic.
well, starting out a couple weeks ago, I had a great time learning all these new things starting from royal road. after a while tinkering with some of the sleights, I hit a snag... I couldn't quite visualize some of the moves that I was supposed to do.
so my first idea was just to buy a whole bunch of highly recomended dvds from this forum... wow... $$$$$$$$$$........ I compared my royalRoad to the dvds and I fainted. its impossible for me to afford these dvds at $30 a pop...

so the question is:
if there are any poor card magicians out there, is there a free or cheaper way to learn more? is there just a website with some tutorial videos?

oh, btw, I found one good method is that card college is available for borrow at my local library... except vol 1 is missing =(

bunny phd
bunny phd
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I don't know if this helps, but you could try a bit harder and save your money. Use your imagination. Try to imagine how the stuff in Royal Road is supposed to look like. Try to look at the tricks from a spectator's perspective. While experimenting, you'll learn a lot and you will develop your own style and your own interpretation of the material. Remember, DVD's are relatively new in magic and all the best and most famous magicians have learned from books or from personal instructions by other magicians. If you really master the magic in Royal Road, perform the stuff for normal people, and igore all the DVD's for a while. You'll not only save a lot of money (you could spend it for other great books though), you'll probably also be way ahead of 90% of all the other card magicians out there.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I learned from books and got a lot of the sleights OK by practicing in the mirror until the moves looked deceptive.
I will say this. It really wasn't until I saw others performing some of the stuff that I realized how good some moves could look.

If you don't know any magicians, going to magic conventions and clubs can help.

You might also try Magic Video Depot to see how others do things.
I'm not sure exactly where but some magician sites and online shops also have videos you can watch.

Good luck,
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Many of the best card books are inexpensive new, and dirt cheap used.

Check these out:

• The Expert At The Card Table
  • Card Manipulations
  • More Card Manipulations
  • The Encyclopedia Of Card Tricks
  • Expert Card Technique

That's my "essential" list. It includes lots of good tricks, most of the standard moves, and will run you under $60 for the lot (new!).

Andru
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
There is a nice way to learn from Card College (both vols 1 & 2) in addition to the CC books. This is the version of CC on a CD. The author worked with Chris Wasshuber and made video clips of all the sleights and moves in the first two volumes of CC. Each vol is $45, which is more expensive than the book, but you do get the book and the video clips together on a CD. I like this approach very much. Here's a link you can check out:

http://www.lybrary.com/card-college-p-66.html
magicpro212
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of magicpro212
I use to go to barns and noble and spend the entire day reading all the books on magic that I could. If you like you can do the same. you can also join a magic club or hang out at a magic shop where magicians will show you lots of magic, and if you're lucky you can get them to teach a thing or two. Just remember that the knowledge of magic is out there for free you just gotta look ... you only pay for props.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4635 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Find people willing to sell their old dvds

I know guys on this site sometimes sell them for as little as $5...
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
Anubis
View Profile
New user
Kingsport, TN
68 Posts

Profile of Anubis
Check your local mall. Their bookstores will usually have some books on magic so you can go in there with a deck of cards and sit there reading the books. I've done that before.

<.<

>.>
"Is this your card?"

"No."
*throws deck*
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
You are bringing up two separate issues. One is the issue of learning magic inexpensively. The other is the necessity in your case of needing some visual help with the moves.

The list that luvisi mentioned is excellent for inexpensive source material. The Dover paperback volumes are excellent and cheap. But much of this information is outdated and will give you some bad habits. If I were you I'd save up my pennies and get the Card College ebook. That gives you some videos of the moves, as well as the most up-to-date, comprehensive information available in one collection. Kaufman's Basic Card Technique is also a good resource.

Once you learn the basic sleights, you'll find that you need the videos less and less as a crutch. You can learn way more information from a book than even the best DVDs. Go through the Card College volumes, keep tuning into the Café, and eventually you'll get a sense of what your next steps should be.

Good luck!
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Scorch: Could I trouble you to mention what material in the books I recommended is outdated and some of the bad habits they promote? They were my primary sources in my youth, so I'd be curious to know if I picked up any of those bad habits.

Andru
allanmania
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of allanmania
Maybe if you attend a local IBM or SAM. I'm sure there are magicians that will teach and lend you some of their stuff.
docelk
View Profile
Veteran user
St. Pete, FL
362 Posts

Profile of docelk
The "Web"---cheap, easy, and very visual---always gets a big response
Life is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real life, you would have been given further instructions on where to go, and what to do.
bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Thanks for the advice guys!
I'm saving my money... for some books
maybe I should just make a video website of all the sleights as I learn them... would that be unethical? just helping other magicians.. who just want to learn a few tricks

anyways... ill try to look for more inexpensive ways...

hop on!

bunny phd
bunny phd
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
575 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Oh yeah. You might find it worth your while to visit http://www.practicenotincluded.com/

Andru
bunnydoctor
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of bunnydoctor
Hmm thanks. pictures work good too... I'm not good at imagining swiggly lines that look like hands..and cards..

Quote:
On 2005-10-29 13:28, luvisi wrote:
Oh yeah. You might find it worth your while to visit http://www.practicenotincluded.com/

Andru
bunny phd
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4635 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2005-10-29 13:03, bunnydoctor wrote:
maybe I should just make a video website of all the sleights as I learn them... would that be unethical? just helping other magicians.. who just want to learn a few tricks

I don't think you should be thinking about that yet...

good luck with learning though.
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
You can get VHS versions of many older magic teaching videos for between $10.00 and $20.00 because no one is buying VHS any more. If you need video to learn that's one way to manage it on a tight budget.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cheap card tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL