The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The 4 chair balancing stunt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hey Guys and Gals,

Basically, I am relocating soon to a country where I don't speak the language, and I'll be needing to do this trick non-verbally.

So my question is, how would you go about selecting 4 volunteers, bringing them onstage with you, and then setting them each onto a chair, but without any dialog and strictly miming all the way?

A free autographed (and only slightly used) t-shirt goes out to the funniest routine!

Big Hats,
Chance
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Chance
Can I ask which country?
Mario
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
England.
Steve V
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've done this several times to music (the mission impossible theme).
it goes over very well.

I suggest you tell the volunteers to try to stay balanced as long as possible.

To them, they seem like they're trying hard to balance.
to the audience, it looks like they have no idea how to get up from the situation.

funny.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Boy that is a routine that I've wanted to do for a long time. I almost forgot about it. Does anyone know if it is in print somewhere? Thanks in advance.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Hey Chance,

I've been in this situation and always found the handshake gag to work great. Just go around shaking hands with the audience members and when you get to the spectator you want just don't let go of their hand and gesture them on stage. It works and gets a laugh. Because you are using multiple people it will be even better because now that they know what you are up to some may get gun shy and keep the others guessing. You could milk it for as long as you want throw in some panto with the types of handshake they are giving you and it could be a winner.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I do this effect with 8 people. for many years now. I use small collapsable camping chairs. when I go around my audience I give a chair to somebody. they normally take the chair so they help. I put them on a line. use music and don't say what you are going to do. when they sit in the square THEN tell the audience you are going to pull away the chairs.

one word of advice: don't let them be to long in this uncomftable positon. the climax is when the last chair is pulled away.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Thanks guys for helping out!

Just to clarify: I am not asking to be taught the trick, as I already perform it. But the routine I have now, like most other guys' as well, uses verbal cues. But I want to be able to travel more freely this winter, and am trying very hard to lose the dialog.

Mario: Not just any one country. But I can see France, Spain and Italy on the radar, and who knows what else?

Steve V.: I have never been to England, and have no desire to go this winter either. (PS: I know it was a joke for Mario's benefit, but you're still a d***, so what the heck.)

Frank: What were your techniques for selecting the guys, plus getting them onto the chairs, without talking? **This is the reason for my question in the first place.**

Danny: You at least get an honorary t-shirt for being the only one to answer the question the first time! Thanks!

Robert: I also use those camping chairs -- mine are made of squarish bent steel frames, not legs, with a nylon fabric seat. 8 volunteers? Wow. How much of your time is spent talking, vesus just pantomime? I am trying now for 100% panto. Also, like you, I don't leave them for too long. I put the chairs back after just 20 seconds or so. I have seen it when they are left hanging, all quivering with stressed muscles, etc. -- falling down even -- and it just never struck me as funny or even proper treatment of my helpers.

Again everyone, thanks for all the tips, and keep it rolling in! I need all the help I can get.

Chance
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Actually it was for your sake and don't call me dude. Goodness, I hope that was 'dude' you called me, hate to see the powers that be back up their rules.
Steve V
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
The putting down of the guys (sometimes girls) is done pantonmime. because I do ballet with them. they get postions or poses and this way we move to the centre. the only time, during this part, I talk is when I set them down.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you're doing this to music, and even if you're not, remember to turn your microphone off and you can tell the guys whatever you want. I give them all sorts of secret instructions that the audience does not know about becuase they cannot hear it.
they might see you talking but to the guys, but it looks like you're just telling them how to sit down and where.

maybe you're telling them to go along with some hypnosis effect and when you snap your fingers, they fall asleep. You could tell one of them to periodically slowly raise their arm as if it's floating and to drop it when you snap your fingers.

I reassure them that it is not difficult and to remain UP as long as they can.

It's fun.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The 4 chair balancing stunt (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL