The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I agree,,,take at outside shows is down a third compared to last year,this is common right through from Craft Fairs to Carnivals in the UK.
Everyone is a lot more careful with their cash.

BTW Your cups are very nice.

Ken.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Does anyone think that maybe it's due to all the plastic everyone's carrying? I have to admit, I rarely ever carry cash anymore, but when I see a Busker, I find an ATM, and get him/her some money.(karma?)
But, it's a fact these days. It costs more to travel, more to shop, more to live.
Our world has changed, and people are more guarded than ever before. Sad and scary.
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
That is definately a factor for performers just performing on the street. However, at festivals, people bring cash since you can't buy cotton candy with a card.

One factor to lesser hats, I think, is because of the saturation of street performers. Whether it's on the streets for real or at festivals, they seem to be everywhere. They can tend to lose some novelty for some people. Too many busking festivals. Annual busking festivals are cool for a couple of years and then again, the novelty wears off for some people and they are looking for the next "thing".

The saturation is also due to David Blaine's shows creating way too many "street magicians".

There is also the point of that too many people do similar acts. You have to be really different and stop using those same lines and tricks/routines that everyone else does. Ask yourself how many two man juggling teams have done the knocking an object out of a spectator's mouth routine? I personally have only seen two teams not do this out of the hundred I have seen.

These are just my thoughts and opinions but I think they have some warrant.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
I've always thought about just knocking the jugglers out of the routines. Maybe with a large swinging crane. Now that's entertainment!
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Depends on where you go...in some cities you get told "get lost" asking for directions. Of course I reply..."I already am Einstein, that's why I'm asking for directions!"
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I think it (making less today than twenty years ago) has more to do with the fact that most people tend to think in "give the man a dollar." If street performers today are working with people who have that mentality, then it is difficult to make more than a dollar a person. Lets face it, 20 years ago you could buy something with that dollar. I think that clever patter would help to bring attention to the fact that giving a person one dollar now days won't even pay for the gas to get across the street.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 18:32, Starry wrote:
I think it (making less today than twenty years ago) ...I think that clever patter would help to bring attention to the fact that giving a person one dollar now days won't even pay for the gas to get across the street.

-- Ace

I am new to busking but my spectators don't know that so I started using the following in my hat line....

Thank you it's been a pleasure working for you today, yes this is my job and I have been doing it for the past 30 years.... And yes, you are my boss'. 30 years ago my boss' use to put a dollar in my hat and yesterday my boss' also put a dollar in my hat..... I told my wife that I haven't had a raise in the past 30 years and she told me I better ask my boss for a cost of living raise, so here I am, if you have a 5 or a 10 please through it in, I know I would..... How long has it been since you had a raise?

kOnO

ps I have gotten a few $5's but still mostly $1's
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
KONO I like your thinking

The only thing that has changed is the fact I have a morgage and mouths to feed.

When I was young free and single well my money went a long way.

INFLATION is around my belly.

I must say I think hats are better today than ten years ago say.

I get a lot more £2, £5, and £10 drops you got work your hat lines. If your hat is down then you probally got rusty over the years. It does not matter how good your show is you not going to make money with out your hat. If you work for $1 that is what you will get.

This clip of mine gave me a great fat hat and it was my third one of the day.

If you have not seen this clip before
http://www.streetcredmission.co.uk/Mario......ada.html

MARIO
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I think we need to factor in the surge of "homeless" people. And I put quotations around homeless because there are a lot of people trying to take your money and put you into a guilt trip everytime you walk down the street. It has become so bad here in Portland that even the newspapers reported that it has become a 2 million dollar industry. People stand on EVERY stinking corner with a sign saying the same crap all over again. People I think are mentally turned off to giving people money on the streets for this. I know I am. Before the surge of "homeless" people, I used to have no problem with giving out money to strangers I passed by. But now, I never ever carry cash.

I do understand that there are homeless people with real needs. And I do try to discern them from the fakers trying to make a buck. Just wanted to clarify incase you thought I was ignorant to the reality of homeless people.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Here's a story that kind of goes along with what you said Brian. This actually happened to me...
I once was rousted off the street by the police for not having an occupational liscense. I went to get this piece of paper from the courthouse; $185.00 total for the three different liscenses I needed.
I go back to my spot, get to work (needed to make that money back) and I notice a "homeless" guy standing on another corner, about ablock away "begging" for money. The EXACT same officer comes up to me and says "you had better have your paperwork together or I'm gonna run you in." I proudly show him my papers, he seems P@#!&d, tells me he's got his eye on me and starts to walk away. I then say "hey, does that guy have a liscense?" and I point to the bum. (I should have just kept my mouth shut) The cop says " yes, as a matter of fact, he does." So, I say "okay, but what's his occupation?" The cop looks confused and says "He's a vagrant, he doesn't have an occupation." So, I ask "Then how did he get an occupational liscense?" The cop says "He doesn't have one, he's got a PANHANDLING PERMIT. They're only $15.00" Smiles and walks away.
I almost fell over. This bum (who seemed healthy, and able bodied) was out there getting money for nothing, meanwhile I'm trying to earn an honest living and have to pay through the nose just to do it.
Any Comments?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Bum all a street performer what is the difference?
Beggers cant be chosers.
Mario
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
My brother is homeless. He recently moved from the bushes into a warehouse where they use him as sort of a night guard for the colder months. I've mentioned to him the same thing Brian brought up, they, he and his cohorts, all use the same lines of bs when bumming off people. He thought it was pretty funny and said they all do tend to do the same spill. Because of my brother (note for those wondering, he has assulted my wife in years past and thus isn't allowed in my house) I know many of the homeless people at a level most folks wouldn't want to. Let me tell you the big problem isn't that they are fake, there are many of those, but for the legit ones they tend to fall into three groups. Mentally ill, major drunks, and major druggies. My brother is a drunk and would rather remain a drunk on the streets then be a sober person off the streets. There are many ways off the streets but a great many of the guys don't want to do what they have to do to get off the streets. He loves magic.
Steve V
Zack
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Zack
Getting fives is really simple: ASK for them. Whenever I talk about tips I say "Five dollar bill." NEVER say One Dollar, if you do, you'll get change.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Good point Zack, I make a point to tip a kid $5.00 in my show for helping me out and educating my audiance. I make a referance to this in my video clip "As you sore a perfromers is worth his fee."
Mario
Lloyd McDonald
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Lloyd McDonald
Great clip Mario, nice to see you in action.

By the way...did you ever get the camera lady to buck up some bills? Smile
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2005-11-10 08:19, BAH1313 wrote:
Here's a story that kind of goes along with what you said Brian. This actually happened to me...
I once was rousted off the street by the police for not having an occupational liscense. I went to get this piece of paper from the courthouse; $185.00 total for the three different liscenses I needed.
I go back to my spot, get to work (needed to make that money back) and I notice a "homeless" guy standing on another corner, about ablock away "begging" for money. The EXACT same officer comes up to me and says "you had better have your paperwork together or I'm gonna run you in." I proudly show him my papers, he seems P@#!&d, tells me he's got his eye on me and starts to walk away. I then say "hey, does that guy have a liscense?" and I point to the bum. (I should have just kept my mouth shut) The cop says " yes, as a matter of fact, he does." So, I say "okay, but what's his occupation?" The cop looks confused and says "He's a vagrant, he doesn't have an occupation." So, I ask "Then how did he get an occupational liscense?" The cop says "He doesn't have one, he's got a PANHANDLING PERMIT. They're only $15.00" Smiles and walks away.
I almost fell over. This bum (who seemed healthy, and able bodied) was out there getting money for nothing, meanwhile I'm trying to earn an honest living and have to pay through the nose just to do it.
Any Comments?

Comments? Yes, just one: Vote Libertarian ;o)

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Comments? Yes, just one: Vote Libertarian ;o)

Sounds political but I am forced to agree. :o)
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Lloyd McDonald
The camera lady is haveing my babys.
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I will add she "she is my wife Mandy"
We are expecting on the 27th Nov.
Mario
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Hats (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL