The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Worst Close Up gig of my life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Yesterday evening will go down in my memory as one of the worst close up gigs of my career. I still feel embarrassed and depressed about it but would be very interested to know if anyone here would have tackled the situation differently.

I had been booked (via an agency) to provide close up for a large staff party from 9.30 pm to midnight. I thought the timings seemed a bit odd, but assumed the agent (whom I have worked for many times before) had everything under control. Unfortunately my worst fears were realised when I arrived at the venue - a huge marquee. The party had been in full swing for several hours and the place was packed with about 500 guests (mostly 18 – 25 age group) who seemed to have been drinking heavily for most of that time (there was a free bar). The disco was already cranked up to maximum volume and the only lighting was coming from the disco and strobe lights. The vast majority of the guests were either dancing or trying to fight their way to the bar. I attempted to work one or two tables furthest away from the disco but it was quickly obvious that most of the guests weren’t interested in watching magic, and anyway it was so dark and noisy it was impossible to see or hear anything. In 15 years of performing close-up I’ve probably come across (and managed to work) most kinds of situations, but this was my worst nightmare. After about 1 hour I decided that I just couldn’t continue and had the very embarrassing job of trying to explain this to the client. He was reasonably understanding, and actually said that he was just about to go home himself because it was getting too rowdy !!!

Obviously the close up magic should have been timed much earlier in the evening, but given the situation I was faced with ….what would you have done ?
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I had 2 shows like this last christmas time.
Both shows had a "vegas lounge singer" perform before me. The same guy. Different Nites.

I got their early on the first show to check out his act and pick up a couple tips.
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was so bad, people started leaving early so I told the client that I thought I should start doing magic asap. he agreed and I focused a lot of magic on just one table that seemed receptive. Much more than I would normally do. This seemed to attract some attention from others and eventually I was able to break away and do other tables but it was hard getting started.

The 2nd event didn't go as well. After a couple of successful tables, (and there were many to go), they decided to do their "raffle". I stopped during the raffle for the most part, so pople could look at their tickets and pay attention to that.
As soon as the last prize was awarded, everybody hit the doors and was gone.

I quickly tried to get something going at one table which worked, but it was too late to stop the stampede. After that, I did magic for the client for about 20 minutes to give them their money's worth.

I think by this time, they all had seen enough bad entertainment (the lounge singer) and were done. The 2nd client also indicated that the singer sucked.

he was a impersonator/singer/comedian guy who had no rhyme or reason to his act.
The comedy was bad, he had no ability to read the audience, and was just plain bad.

Sometimes there's not much you can do except to give suggestions when you find out what kind of gig it is. If the timing does not sound right, as more questions and see if you can persuede a change in schedule.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I would have visited the bar, just kidding (Sort of). I can imagine that would have been miserable.
Did your agent come up with that time or the person arranging the party? If it was the owners time he had decided on, I would not feel embarrassed. Your job is to entertain, If you cannot (They seemed entertained enough), you would only be wasting every ones time.
The only thing a person could have done is find the lonely people, since there is always one or two in a party, and give them some magic to keep them interested. Sorry you had a Bummer, that's the sort of thing that builds character, or so my mother says.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Wow,sorry to hear about that nightmare.I am sure you realize the more information we can gather about the gig beforehand the better.However,sometimes the booker doesn't even know whats going on.
I learned my lesson about 8 years ago when I was booked to entertain 150 women at a country club.If you think I was able to get those hens to stop cackling for two seconds you are wrong.They couldn't care less about magic,and were the rowdiest bunch of humans I ever encountered...I guess they don't get out much.It was a 2 hr.gig,and I managed to hang in there for 1 hr. I was very direct with the lady that booked me and she understood.I accepted a reduced fee and bolted as fast as I could.
I now use a quality waistband speaker at noisy walkaround events..it helps,as long as you can get them to pay attention!!!
Don't be to hard on yourself.We never stop learning in this business.Yikes! Whenever I think of those broads I shutter! All the best. Rich
itrickyou
View Profile
New user
Houston
3 Posts

Profile of itrickyou
I was once hired for something similar. It was at a multi-venu nightclub (different rooms with different types of music/piano bar, etc). The company had the whole club but they cranked up the music. I basically walked around a lot from place to place and anytime I came near one of the hosts, I would stop and perform something visual. Bottom line is that the hosts saw me several times that night performing. I stayed the whole three hours but it was the longest three hours of my life.

If the place would have been dead before my time was up, I would have informed the host that I would stay until the scheduled time as per the contract. If they send you home, you would still get paid the full amount.

Keep this experience in mind for future events that call for your services later in the evening.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
www.jsmagician.com
james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Profile of james-harrington
I have worked in a busy nightclub twice a week for the past two years, I'm not bragging I just wanted to give myself some extra credibility on this one!

I love it, a lot of the times I can't hear anyone and they can't hear me... it's no problem, in the past 2 years I have learned to do all my routines silently. There is also a different type of hard nosed audience management that is required for this kind of rowdy venue - you have to be one of them, be loud, don't take any **** and have fun!

With regards to the actual effects I would suggest doing things that are as simple and direct as possible. Cards: Transposition, Card manips if you can find the right spot, ambitious card - all can be done silently easily. Sponge balls: I always hated these because I don't think the fit my style or character - having said that I use them and they get great reactions. D'lites - the blue ones look great in a nightclub or any dimly lit venue.

Also remember this, with a venue that is so busy and so crowded you need 3 tricks max... better to be short and leave them wanting more.

Hope this helps!

James
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Please don't beat yourself up, it was not your fault. You were not a part in the poor planning of the event.

On a different note, it may not have been as bad as you think. I once did a job that in my opinion, was the worst show of my life. Two years later the client called with another job. He told me that all his friends agreed that my show was the best magic show they had ever seen. I could not wait to escape his party & they thought it was fantastic.

I am sure that you are too hard on yourself. I would be willing to believe that many that saw you really enjoyed the show.

Best,

Allan
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW sorry to hear that and I wouldnt suggest LEARNING effects that don't require patter. If that is your style of performing. I just think it was a bad night .Dont beat yourself up about it. Odds are the drunkies that you did perform for didn't even remember it the next day. You will have better days. In my opinion in 15 years this was the worst? Your doing better then a lot of the other horror stories I have read on here.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would suggest cashing the check and moving on. You did your job as a professional, let it go. These things happen because people have NO idea what it is we actually provide.

In the future try to communicate with your agent a little better. They want to sell as much stuff as possible to be paid as well as possible, often not caring if your job bites for the night.

Sometimes the party planner has to provide as many options for their people as possible. Many times they are just filling out their budget. Lots of reasons you end up like this. Just go with it and don't take it as a refliction on YOU, as I have indicated it is far from your fault.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
I had a walk around job at a chinese auction, but they scheduled me to perform during the drawings, to make a long story short people needed to look at their tickets and not a magic trick. What were those people thinking when they hired me.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
David, Have you fed back to the agent?
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Chinese auctions; noisy drinking parties; funerals
I think there IS a limit to where & when magic is appropriate.
I have made these same mistakes and learned by error, my newest rule:

Find out EVERYTHING about the event, and turn it DOWN if it doesn't suit me.

I have stopped trying to be a magic superman.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Worst Close Up gig of my life (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL