The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Full body strait jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harry knight
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Hi there, I've been looking on Ebay and whilst searching for strait jackets, I came across this great item. Its worth a look, it's a full body strait jacket and costs only 30.00 plus 7.00 recorded delivery (UK). It states that its only novelty item but I can't see why it could'nt be made stronger and adapted sleightly for escapology use.

Ebay (UK)item number: 5439371710
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Looks interesting; I've ordered one to have a play with, it's cheap enough and I've already a few ideas of how I might be able to use it. I'll report back when it arrives.
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
I too have ordered one and have the escape all figured out! Should be fun!

Clyde
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
Well, mine arrived today, here's my initial thoughts.

What this actually appears to be is a suspension harness. The leather straps have rings built in to take the ropes at regular intervals, with the holes on the straps stopping too short for them to be done up tight as restraints. So the first thing you'll need to do is drill some extra holes in the straps.

Once this is done, this is actually quite a fun and challenging escape. I won't go into too much detail about the method here (PM if you want to discuss it), but it looks physical, with plenty of opportunities for thrashing around and revealing reaching hands. It took me 5-10 minutes to work my way out initially, this time is obviously dropping the more I practice with it.

The key part of the escape is working the zipper down as the straps are released; without gimmicking, the zipper won't budge if manipulated from inside. I am wondering if this fact will be clear to the audience; there is obvious effort going into the escape in its ungimmicked state and my housemate seemed sold, but I'm not so sure if an audience will buy into such a familiar thing as a zip as a useful restraint device. I'm hoping to try the escape out in open mic next week, so I'll be able to guage reaction to it then.

In terms of build quality; good, tough leather straps, but while the lightweight canvas as a whole is strong enough to hold there is a problem with individual studs working their way through. One of the strap loops around the chest area came loose on my second escape attempt (when, in fairness, I was subjecting the strap to a lot more tension and violence than it would have had from the intended use, though it's still worrying), so I had to repair and reinforce those parts. The thing was cheap, so there is an element of get what you pay for. With a bit of jerrying, though, there's definitely a useful, presentable piece of escape apparatus there. And it does look nicely intimidating with it's black canvas and shiny leather straps.
harry knight
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of harry knight
With reference to the loops located at the sides of the jacket, perhaps they could be used to add a length of chain. You would need to padlock one end to the bottom of the jacket (or get it welded) and get your helper to thread the rest of the chain in a zig zag fasion, then secure the other end with another padlock. You could also use rope but I'd prefer chain (it looks more secure).

I could see this escape looking great on stage with strobe lights, fog, and blue tinted lighting with the performer adding lots of movement, making it a real struggle to escape from.

Depending on whether the escape could be done quickly using the jacket as is, or to speed things up faking the jacket in some way.

Harry
EscapeMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of EscapeMaster
So it's industrial stength is it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Full body strait jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL