The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » 'sides having them bawk like a chicken...what else.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...do you fellas do on stage?

Ive done heating coin, pk touches and the like in a small setting...but I hesitate to even try to get into the whole making fools outta the particpants kind of show (not that theres anything necessarily wrong with it)..

anyhow, just looking for more ideas...

thanks ahead...
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Take a look at:

http://www.psywww.com/asc/hyp/art/skits.html

Enjoy. - Scott Grossberg
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
If you are looking for a long term career with repeat bookings Bark Like A Dog or Cluck Like A Chicken aren't even in your show. You do not want to permanently embarass or offend anyone this is totally unprofessional. Just because it has been done does not mean it should have a place in the modern show.

I second the link above for skits.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Thanks! Yeah, I have no intentions in going down that road, that's why I'm looking for more apropo ideas...

respect!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Try the Encylopedia of Stage Hypnosis. I don't mean to argue the merrits of the book here guys so please don't chime in on that level here. BUT there is a wealth of routines in there that do not embarass the spectators in the least.

Putting people in every day situations like a movie theater or driving a car or fishing or any number of things, is quite funny, and not embarassing at all.

Forgetting names and numbers, stuck to things, exersising, cant lift balloons, watching horse races space ship rides. ALL of these things are funny and not embarassing to the volunteer.

You have hit on the crux of the matter with the stage hypnotist. ANY fool can induce trance on stage. WHAT you do with them once they are in that state is more important.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Thanx brother...yeah, I read Mcgill's (peace be upon him) book over again, and there is a lot of alternatives therein...but alas, my unquenchable mind is searching for other ideas, perhaps not found in the mainstream works...

that said, I LOVE that book, I was enlightened as to what hypnosis is and is not in that wonderful work...

Baba
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Then look to your life and personality for routines. THAT is when you become an entertainer and not someone just donig someone elses stuff.

Your on the right track!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Nice! Thanks for the reminder!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
To answer the original question, my first subject took me about four minutes to achieve trance, with full cataleptic effects when suggested.

Some comments on training and materials:

Please remember, though that the Encyclopedia is exactly that, an encyclopedia. Several of the routines and the methods that are included in that book are EXTREMELY dangerous and should NEVER be done, even by an experienced professional. The carotid artery induction method and his method for dealing with resistant subjects method (using a spray of choloform of all things!) are two good examples of VERY dangerous things.

Ormond and I discussed these things briefly after my show at the National Guild of Hypnotists convention stage show evening in 2000, where I had to follow his act (with one other between us) and he confided in me that they were left in for historical completeness' sake only and should never be used. He was a little disappointed that the notations about that had somehow beed edited out before the book went to press.

Honestly, though, if one is going to become a stage hypnotist, GET PROFESSIONAL TRAINING first! Organizations like the National Guild of Hypnotists (www.ngh.net) and the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association offer superb training (both in excess of 200 classroom hours) for their certification these days.

Without this basic training, you will not have the knowledge base for handling things like abreactions, phobic responses, refusal to emerge from trance, you will not know how to limit post-hypnotic suggestions properly, how to minimize the possibilities of these things and you will not have the experience and feedback gained from working in a classroom, under the supervision of an experienced instructor and of getting feedback not only from the teacher, but from your fellow students as well, both as a hypnotist and as a subject.

You didn't become a professional or semi-professional level performer in a weekend, or from watching a 3-DVD set on ,agic or mentalism, so why on earth would you possibly believe that you could become a professional, or even skilled amateur-grade stage hypnotist by doing so?

Please folks, I wote the only e-book on stage hypnosis safety out there, so I do believe that I know what I'm talking about here. Get the training. Most insurance companies REQUIRE it for you to even be considered for coverage anyway!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
If Hypnosis is so Dangerous, maybe this forum section should be removed from the Café...
Just a thought
MaGiShN46
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of MaGiShN46
Back to cluck like a chicken part.

On saturday night live DONALD TRUMP dressed up like a chicken and came on show. Now this is a professional show and a very professional man dressed up in a chicken. Who are you to say that?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Huh?
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Well Alex I'm sorry we've worked too hard to get this forum in the first place. It does not need to be removed and its not anymore dangerous than your waking up in the morning or missing your exit on the freeway. This is Lee's general position that is repeated over and over again throughout the hypnosis threads. We all have a right to our opinions. However, saying remove this forum section is fighting words.

Martin Smile
zauber
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of zauber
Lee Darrow should be permitted to express opinions as well as anyone. However, nobody.....and I mean nobody is the FINAL WORD on any subject, except for me of course, which is my Final Word on this subject.

Seriously, express opinions, agree, disagree, just don't flame or make denegrating remarks.

Frankly, I disagree with L. Darrow, after receiving a comprehensive stage training this past October, and performing my first show. And no, this was not just a weekend commando hypnosis training. It was comprehensive, in the trenches (included the Abreaction too, Lee) and included the safety components of stage hypnosis. Comprehensive trainings with recognized experts and full-time performers is priceless.

Mike
"I'm still learning."
-----Michelangelo
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 14:38, MaGiShN46 wrote:

On saturday night live DONALD TRUMP dressed up like a chicken and came on show. Now this is a professional show and a very professional man dressed up in a chicken. Who are you to say that?

In your example, Donald Trump chose to look ridiculous on a comedy show that is irreverant. Someone who volunteers to be hypnotized is not choosing to look ridiculous and shouldn't be made to be so. Who am I? Someone who chooses to make a living at creating comedy shows that are enjoyed by the volunteers as well as the audience without disrepecting the volunteers. That is who I am. Personally I hope that those who choose this fine art as a way of making a living will treat it with the respect it deserves while allowing everyone to have a good time.

Martin Smile
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
609 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 14:38, MaGiShN46 wrote:

Say what?
nalu_magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Paradise
297 Posts

Profile of nalu_magic
I would have to echo the words of others here and say to stay far away from the clucking and barking. What else is there to do? The best advice I can give would be to analyze your character and your market. What skits would be appropriate for the kind of audience you are performing for? What bits could you customize to make a performance more meaningful? Regardless of the market, audience, or venue, I would make sure everything is well thought out with safety as your main consideration. Entertainment and client satisfaction will be the product of a safe and fun evening for all!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20853 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mike, just because you got through the performance does in NO way make you a professional now does it?

No more than taking the same short cuts to magic and mentalisim would put you on David Copperfields or Chris Angels level.

Learn how to be entertaining on stage after you learned what Lee suggested. You got through it, so what? Does that make it the right thing to do. You could jump out of a moving car at 40 mph and not be anything but dusty. Does this mean it is how you should get out of your car every day you get home? There is a difference in the 2 and a difference in training and not training.

What Lee is stating, without saying is the training is an insurance policy you buy. you may go for 40 years and NEVEr have anything bad happen. Does not make it a bad investment. It is still the smartest way to do it bottom line.

Not the only, but certianly the smartest and most responsipal for sure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
deverett
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of deverett
I can't condemn the embarrassing routines. I used to have a problem with them, but in reality the majority of people who will come up on stage are doing so for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. They are happy to play the fool
2. They are introverted and see hypnosis as a way to act out the more supressed side of their personality.

The most likely venue for a hypnosis show is a club and alcohol will be in abundance. The audience is not looking for a logical exposition on hypnosis, they came to be entertained.

Funnily enough most committees are after the same thing and love being part of the show. If they feel unhappy about something they'll snap themselves out anyway.

Dave Everett
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...good and sound points...thanx...youre right, it all should be examined...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » 'sides having them bawk like a chicken...what else.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL