The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
A 45 second chop cup routine?

I believe that it depends on the character of the magician. I've seen Gazzo do a 15 minute cups and balls that, done quickly and with minimal patter, would have taken at most a minute. The rest of the time he was interacting with the audience.

I find it amusing at least to say that a routine should last this long or that long. There are so many variables.

Of course one should be careful not to bore the spectators, but with 45 second routines you would be left with just wham-bam-thank you, m'aam types of routines that give a lot of sparkle but no sense of wonder.

Bill Palmer once noted that I went too fast in my cups and balls routine and didn't give the spectators a chance to react.

He was right.

I suggest that putting a time limit on a routine is artificial and will lead to a weak routine as often as a strong one.

I create my routines so that I can leave each phase past the first couple out. That way I can end my routine when I see the smiles start to flag.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Darn mine's 46 sec. Now I have to figure out what to cut.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I based my patter on the invention of time travel - the cup being a prototype. Later I found out that there is a similar themed routine in print or maybe dvd, don't remember. I've never read it (viewed it) - scared to. I figure there are only so many ways that patter theme could go and if I read the published one and see how much of my "original" routine is no longer original - I'd feel bad.

My way I can avoid years of ridicule in the magic community - not to mention the years of therapy it would take to get over it. Smile

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27030 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do you think using two cups and re-enacting a moment from the movie "the fly" has already been done too?

How about doing a version of Heinlien's "All you Zombies" as a cups and balls routine?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 20:56, Frank Tougas wrote:
I based my patter on the invention of time travel - the cup being a prototype. Later I found out that there is a similar themed routine in print or maybe dvd, don't remember. I've never read it (viewed it) - scared to. I figure there are only so many ways that patter theme could go and if I read the published one and see how much of my "original" routine is no longer original - I'd feel bad.

My way I can avoid years of ridicule in the magic community - not to mention the years of therapy it would take to get over it. Smile
Frank Tougas

Sorry, Frank, don't want to add to you burden but I had a routine I did with Wells, Bradbury and Asimov (risks of time travel: mistransportation (location), transformation (large ball), alteration (fruit)) on time travel and Faux Einstein one, too. Stopped the Einstein one when I ran into a guy doing a similar idea to that. So that makes four of us. Actually, I think it is a rather natural idea. We should both be riidiculed.

Plus both were way more than 45 sec.

Any one use Christmas ornaments or a dreidel for a final load in the holiday season.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
I love rikbrooks' the beach patter! Very inspiring. Especially suitable in warmer climates. Thanks for sharing.
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I base my chop cup routine on my inability to play sports, the ball is always out of my reach. "Coach would yell, keep your eye on the ball!" I try to work in themes that work for kids and adults who have all been through a gym class. I finish with a double mini basketball final load. I've had people tell me that kids don't enjoy "cups and balls" but I know they are wrong. Every Adult at the table knows by heart the story I'm telling because they were in Gym class too. Mostly because I hop I enjoy the Chop. I have a similar routine with the C&B but don't use it often.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If the story line seems to be too long and drawn out, it is not because there is not enough magic. It is because there is not enough skill at story telling or a GOOD ENOUGH story.

If you are going to do story magic, you must first learn how to tell a story. You must learn how to make the story interesting and exciting. If you can't do that, work to music. Or take up macrame. That way, you are only boring one person at a time -- yourself.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I have a 2 cup set from Makame. Wooden chop cups that fit inside one another. I am looking for a routine for this set as I no longer have it. If you have any thoughts as to where I might find the routine for this set of cups I would appreciate it.

While it's easy enough to come up with my own... I feel I am missing something from the original routine and would really like to see it.

Many thanks!

Bobby
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
Recieved the Chop Cup DVD put out by Steven's Magic Emporium. Great stuff in there. Also, in Steven's latest catalog there are some chop cup olives. I could think of a few at least one martini patter. I think I'll call it "Shaken, Not Stirred". To bad a martini glass wouldn't quite work....... back to the drawing board.
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Martini glass? Probably not. Martini Shaker? Hmm...

Where's Biro when you need him? Smile If he was here, he'd tell you about Porper's Chop Martini Shaker set called Cocktail Surprise. You can read more about it here
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I use a Don ALan chop cup plus sometimes I use Jiggernaut, both are great.
I didn't like the you guess where it is either so I changed my patter to this story about a new sobriety test and this is how it's done. I use me as who the trooper performed it for, of course I always guessed wrong and I hadn't even been drinking, until the final loads.
I do Color MOnte the same way, it happens to me.
Bill
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Quote:
On 2006-02-01 10:11, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Martini glass? Probably not. Martini Shaker? Hmm...

Where's Biro when you need him? Smile If he was here, he'd tell you about Porper's Chop Martini Shaker set called Cocktail Surprise. You can read more about it here

Man! This "Cocktail Surprise" is really beautiful!!!! ....if I had money....hmmmmm... Smile
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Chop Cup Patter (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL