The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Empire Multiplying Golf Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I recently purchased a set of the empire golf balls to try our ball manipulation and
I noticed that the balls seemed very slick. I have dry hands, so its a bit of a problem to palm them. I use sortkwik to help and it does fine for a while, but it wears off pretty quick. Also, the gimmick wants to stick to the ball almost too well, and it is sometimes difficult to perform the move. I know Fakini makes some very nice sets, but I do not know if I like manipulation enough yet to spend the money on them. I bought the empire set to see if I like them, and I do, but I would still like to practice more with these if possible. Any suggestions on how to keep the gimmick a bit more loose and make the balls grip a little bit more?

Thanks,
Shalin
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I also started with the Empire multiplying golf balls and I ran into the same problems you did. The dealer who sold me the balls showed me a "get ready" move to help separate the gimmick. Even now, when I use my Fakinis, I still perform this "get ready" move.

Also, I find that if you wash the balls in warm water and dry them out as much as you can, ithe extra little bit of moisture helps keep them tacky. Eventually, though, you will want to upgrade to a heavier set of balls with some extra tackiness built into them.

Hope that helps

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
That "get ready" move sounds useful. Where could I learn this move?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Shalin:

I find that a bit of glycerin, applied -- not to the balls -- but to my hands, improves the tack immensely. As to the get ready, I don't seat the sh**** fully onto the ball, and find this works nicely.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
The "Get Ready" is simply a matter of discreetly lossening the gimmick a little bit before producing the ball.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5714 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The Empire Golfballs are smaller than Fakini Golfballs, making them hard to handle unless you have small hands. For good grip, Cornhuskers Lotion may help.

You might want to try sticking a tiny circle of card stock inside the shell, to help make it easier to roll the ball out. You'll want to experiment to find the right diameter for the circle of card stock.

Another inexpensive set of Multiplying Balls are the Multiplying Sponge Balls. They handle quite well. They may only last a couple of years, but the price is great - easy to replace at that price.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 09:09, Alan Munro wrote

Another inexpensive set of Multiplying Balls are the Multiplying Sponge Balls. They handle quite well. They may only last a couple of years, but the price is great - easy to replace at that price.

I use the multiplying sponge balls in my kid shows and they are fantastic. Easy grip and show up nicely.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
These days, I use white Fakini golf balls, but I also incorporate two of the old empire balls into the routine for color changes. It makes for an interesting (and affordable) routine. Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
I was thinking of buying some silicone bouncy balls from my local toy store to use with color changes instead of fakinis. (for now at least) Do regular old bouncy balls work well with these routines? I am using golf balls, but then I suddenly change one into a bouncy ball. Does it kind of take away from a uniform routine?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13366 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Are there any published routines for the multiplying balls that anyone is particularly fond of??
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
How does the size of the empire golf balls compare to the 1 3/4" fakinis? I plan on getting a set of fakinis, but I'm not sure what size to get. I have the empire golf balls but I find that they are a little bit small and hard to see when you have deeper audiences. Any thoughts on what size is best for you (considering your hand size, ease of manipulation, and effective visible distance)? Thanks!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-11-11 13:20, Shalin wrote:
I was thinking of buying some silicone bouncy balls from my local toy store to use with color changes instead of fakinis. (for now at least) Do regular old bouncy balls work well with these routines? I am using golf balls, but then I suddenly change one into a bouncy ball. Does it kind of take away from a uniform routine?

Bouncy balls will be fine for color changes. Another thought is to check pet departments for the soft multi-colored golf balls packaged as toys for cats. These are very easy to manipulate and do look like golf balls (dimples and all) AND they're very inexpensive.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5714 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 14:36, Frank Starsini wrote:
Are there any published routines for the multiplying balls that anyone is particularly fond of??

Tim Wright's routine is the best that I've seen. It's available on video.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 21:49, biff_g wrote:
How does the size of the empire golf balls compare to the 1 3/4" fakinis? I plan on getting a set of fakinis, but I'm not sure what size to get. I have the empire golf balls but I find that they are a little bit small and hard to see when you have deeper audiences. Any thoughts on what size is best for you (considering your hand size, ease of manipulation, and effective visible distance)? Thanks!

The Empire balls are a little smaller than the 1 3/4 inch fakinis. However, I use both types of balls in my routine. The yellow empire balls are strictly for the odd color change.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
majical
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majical
I have a set of Empire Golf Balls and I like them. They're my first set though, so can't compare them to anything else. They do handle well for me, though. But I can't really understand them; they don't look as elegant as a solid ball (without dimples), however their yellow color makes it impossible to really sell an audience on the golf theme. Any thoughts on this? This is my biggest concern with this set.

On another note, I believe the Empire Golf Balls have a diameter of 1 5/8 inches. So they would be slightly smaller than 1 3/4, or 1 6/8 inch balls. However, the difference seems to be only 1/8 of an inch.
jnrussell
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
206 Posts

Profile of jnrussell
I describe the yellow Empire Golf Balls as "miniature golf balls in bright yellow so you can find them when you hit them into the windmill next to you" or "bright yellow golf balls so you can play golf in Michigan even in the snow".

I like them myself. The sponge balls are too soft for me. Had a set of hard plastic "practice" golf balls, but they were hard to handle.

Wish I could find a set of 4 yellow balls to tie together and produce as a finale. BTW, if anyone knows where to get 4 singles, PM me, will you? Thx
John Russell
Mastering Magician
www.TheMasterMagician.net
magiccrab
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of magiccrab
An amazing concept.

Cordially, Jacob
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13366 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Check your sporting goods store (Big5) for practice golf balls that looks just like the empire balls.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22185 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
For all you non-golfers, yellow golf balls are considered Winter Golf Balls. Diehard Golfers that play year round in all the seasons including Winter snow, use colored balls so they can track the ball in flight and the snow. Yellow balls are Winter Golf Balls. Although, I am sure that is not the reason Empire used that color for the Multiplying Golf Balls, it was probably for visibility while on stage.

Anything put on the inside of the shell will kill the great magic trick of the visible ball through silk trick. Instead of messing the shell up, just learn to "break" the ball and shell prior to production. It is a magic playing card term, a get ready, as you will, obtaining the "break".

Washing the Empire Golf Balls is good advice. I note that there is a white film left behind from the molding process that should be removed before using the Empire Golf Balls. This release agent used in manufacturing is not needed any longer to manipulate the Golf Balls.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
I bought a set of the Empire balls to see if I wanted to invest some time learning the multiplying balls....and I think that I do. I find the Empire balls very light and hard to control, especially with my dry fingers/hands. I assume that a set of Fakinis would be heavier, and have a tackier grip. Would I be correct in that assumption? I would probably go for 1 3/3 inch Fakinis.

Just wondering.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Empire Multiplying Golf Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL