The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » First job ever a disaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Me and my brother were going to go do a function for our school. It was for the after school program 21st century, for kids who don't get there homework done. We were told beforehand that we would be performing for small groups of about eight kids at a time. So we pack up our stuff and take off. we go into the Caféteria and one of the teachers says "Our magicians have arrived!!!" so were looking at a crowd of about fifty kids. Then the teacher tells us "Well, because it's Halloween, we didn't get as many kids as we expected. The problem was, we had no stage stuff. We had to rotate tables, If it weren't for the telepathy routine I made up we would have been screwed. But we picked up forty bucks so it all came out okay. What would you have done?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-11-07 18:38, Montethrower wrote:
Me and my brother were going to go do a function for our school. It was for the after school program 21st century, for kids who don't get there homework done. We were told beforehand that we would be performing for small groups of about eight kids at a time. So we pack up our stuff and take off. we go into the Caféteria and one of the teachers says "Our magicians have arrived!!!" so were looking at a crowd of about fifty kids. Then the teacher tells us "Well, because it's Halloween, we didn't get as many kids as we expected. The problem was, we had no stage stuff. We had to rotate tables, If it weren't for the telepathy routine I made up we would have been screwed. But we picked up forty bucks so it all came out okay. What would you have done?

hmmm. Pulled the fire alarm?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Started your sentence "My brother and I..."

FWIW

Cheers! Smile

(Where's the Grammar Host?)
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is called rising to the occaision. And...YOu did it. They say the mark of a true pro magician is to keep it going in the face of snafu. Every magician knows the time will come for an error. What will you do about it. The time will come (as it did for you) when the audience posses an unexpected twist for you. You handle it and move on.

I am not much of a close up man myself, but what I would have done...is probably just what you would have done.

Way to go!
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
One piece of advice Jeff McBride gives on his Stage videos is to always carry an emergency magic case with you, kind of like a magic first aid kit.

Just a small case that you carry simple effects in such as a TT, silk, rope & scissors, or anything to your liking.

This backup stuff can be used in almost any situation, stage, standup or closeup.

It has helped me on a few occassions!
Best,
Ed

P.S. Glad to hear you pulled through the show.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Well I hope we did good from the teachers view. The kids were a few cards short of a full deck, you know?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » First job ever a disaster (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL