The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sleight of Hand leads to Crime (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1223 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
From the USA Today Minnesota State Brief:

Anoka - Franklin Forlemu, 22, allegedly claimed he had a chemical potion that could transform white paper into U.S. currency. Police said Forlemu's potion was water and charged him with theft. He used a sleight-of-hand trick to convince a victim that he could make money multiply. The victim give Forlemu about $70,000 in $100 bills, and got only white paper in return. The money was recovered.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Dang! Stole my idea....

Steve Thomas
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Great Magician !

Should be hired quickly at the Magic Conventions in pickpoketting !!

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Did the "victim" also get charged for attempting to take part in counterfeiting?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2005-11-09 10:22, Magicbarry wrote:
Did the "victim" also get charged for attempting to take part in counterfeiting?

I think they'd have to prove he actually produced a counterfeit or be found in possession? Story says he used sleight of hand to convince the mark. Gosh 70K?! Sounds like the guy would of been better off buying ,from me, a bottle of "common sense" for half the money saving him $35K. Only available in one flavor (green tea) but afterall, it's the properties one is after.
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
This "Victim", I only have one thing to say about him:

What a waste of good organs.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
How does someone dumb enough to fall for that scam, have $70,000 available to them to invest - yet I consider myself reasonably intelligent and I work my *** off, but still struggle to pay my bills?? Life just ain't fair sometimes.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Interesting...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't feel sorry for the victim. All scams are based on one thing and one thing only -- you can't cheat an honest man. People want something for nothing, and they figure they can get it.

If a fellow approaches you with a roll of bills that could choke a horse and asks you how to find an address on a piece of paper, you have just been approached by a pigeon drop worker. Run, do not walk, to the nearest police station.

And anyone who falls for the "gasoline pellets," the "money maker scam" or the "Gypsy switch" should not be let out of the house alone.

I don't remember who said it, but a fool and his money should not have gotten together in the first place.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Mr Palmer,

I believe it’s difficult to cheat an honest man, but possible. Most confidence men look for an easier mark, so being an 'honest man' makes it difficult to be swindled. Not impossible though since a person could be honest but a tad bit greedy. It’s the greed factor that gets the 'honest man' in trouble.

As for the victim, I believe they could be charged with conspiracy and at a minimum, should be a Baker Act candidate.

Another quote I’m fond of using is: “There’s a sucker born every minute…….and two to take him!”

By the way, I’m sorry for the loss of your friend, Bob Read. I’ve known of him for many years but never had the pleasure of meeting or seeing him perform or lecture.

Perhaps in the near future, more of his close friends could share with us stories of Mr. Read and his life in magic.

Kindest Regards,
Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-11-17 10:49, Danny Diamond wrote:
How does someone dumb enough to fall for that scam, have $70,000 available to them to invest - yet I consider myself reasonably intelligent and I work my *** off, but still struggle to pay my bills?? Life just ain't fair sometimes.

Yep, I couldn't agree more! The guy must have had the IQ of a ping-pong ball to invest $70k in such a scam.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
We had an identical case here in Norway a few years ago.
If I remember it correctly, the scam-artist in that case even had quite a few "repeat customers"!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
This scam crops up every few years, usually involving those "magic money machine" props.

[sigh] Some people have more money than is good for them. It may well be someone else's duty to take it away.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
terryellett
View Profile
New user
Valencia, California
5 Posts

Profile of terryellett
Bill Palmer -

"A fool and his money shouldn't have gotten together in the first place"

Harry Anderson in an HBO special a few years back - don't remember the exact quote.
MC is alive and kicking!
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
People that dumb don't have $70,000. He probably borrowed it from his mom.

Rob
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I have a close friend who actually spent jail time years ago for a stunt like this. However, he got caught for scamming some guy when he claimed he could change serial numbers on money, and he used a "dangerous foaming substance" (alka seltzer) that was so strong that you had to get naked so it wouldn't "eat through your clothes" and squeeze two boards together with the bills inside that had been soaked in this "dangerous substance" The bills were switched for blank paper, and while the mark was in the bathtub, naked rocking back and forth on 2 boards they took off in their car with all of the real money. I guess when they went to court the guy who was scammed explained the whole story to a VERY amused court room... apparently the judge busted a gut thinking of that image. It didn't lessen his jail time, but it made for a funny story to tell in prison I guess. He has since reformed and is a model citizen, by the way - doesn't even go over the speed limit.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 10:26, terryellett wrote:
Bill Palmer -

"A fool and his money shouldn't have gotten together in the first place"

Harry Anderson in an HBO special a few years back - don't remember the exact quote.

The quote I know of is: "A fool and his money are soon parted......they shouldn't have been together in the first place!"
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
This is also happen in our country. Similar modus.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
It happened to Laurel & Hardy in 'A haunting we will go' as well...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-05-11 08:33, Corona Smith wrote:
It happened to Laurel & Hardy in 'A haunting we will go' as well...

Inflato!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Sleight of Hand leads to Crime (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL