The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half dollar sized copper alternatives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
I'm looking for some alternatives to the English Penny for the copper coin to go with the Walking Liberty half dollar set. I've got Schoolcraft's/Dean's set and his flipper. The antiqued/classic look they have gets a better response than the 1964 Kennedys. Anyway, I've seen Dan Watkins use a Peruvian coin, I believe, in his Video Coin Man Walking. I think I found that coin and I really wasn't taken with it.

For my Morgan set I've got some really sweet Crowns and Double Florins. They have a very classic look and a great intricate pattern on the back of the coins. I want to try to get that going with the Walking Liberties. I found that the French Centimes, Italian Centesimi, and Greek Lepta (all from the mid-late 1800s) have the same size and the Walking Liberty half, but they are too hard to find in good enough condition.

I'm looking for something to match the size that I can get at least 4 or 5 in decent quality to have a sun/moon and silver copper set made (and maybe even a CSB set).

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Not sure but there are a few different English Pennies to choose from.

Along those lines, I was wondering what is the copper equivalent to a Silver Dollar in coin?
-Only The Shadow Knows...Y'know?
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Thanks Backdoor. I haven't seen any English Penny that didn't have a sort of Goddess sitting on a throne tails side.

I'm using a 1936 Edwards VIII Fantasy Pattern Crown -- I believe the "Fantasy" means they are a sort of commerative coin rather than a real coin. Thus if you can find someone who sells them (which isn't always easy) they are usually in great condition.

I also use a Double Florin Victoria Fantasy Pattern. it's smaller than the silver dollar, but it's such a cool coin, I just used it for things like Hopping Half-like stuff.

I just wish they made things like this in half-dollar size.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I like to use an old Irish Penny. Instead of an english penny. Unfortunatly I have found it difficult to find these so I only have one from my grandfathers old coin collection.
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Thanks Corey, what's the name of that coin? I mean if you were looking it up on ebay or something, would you use something besides "Irish Penny"? Thanks!
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
You could try an african penney ala Curtis Kam with a hole in the middle, or an Australian Penney with a Kangaroo on it...interesting routine themes with that one! else have a look at Mike Wilds sundragon magic coin with a dragon design on which I believe is about the same size as a penney..PM/E-mail him to get a picture...I'm sure Mike will oblige Smile
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
The sundragon coin sounds interesting. I ordered his Tavern Magic Volume 2 several days ago. I have yet to receive the PDF even after a couple of e-mails. Could be on vacation or on the road who know. Still, thanks for the lead Chris!!
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Chris,

any silver dollar sized copper coins that you know of?
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
You could use an east african dime... Great contrast. Copper with a hole in the middle. Todd Lassen has a bunch on his site.
Shawn.
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Thanks for the suggestion Shawn---it's just that I'm looking to hire Schoolcraft to make copper/silver and sun/moon coins with them. I think I'd better avoid the while in the coin for those gaffs.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
When looking for copper and brass matches for my 36.06mm Canadian silver dollars, I just did a Web search. Worked like a charm.
While not comprehensive, try the following searches;
+coin +"30mm"
+coin +"30 mm"
If your city has a China-Town, try looking in shops there. It Toronto, where we have a very large Chinatown, I found hundreds of half-sized coins, all real cheap.
Dan McLean Jr
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Thanks, I'll try it Roadie.
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Thank you for the suggestion Dan. So far the only thing I found is a Canadian Gold Maple leaf coin that would work. Only a mere $500+ per coin. That'll be one heck of a sun/moon set, eh?
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
This single site has TONS of 30mm coins. Silver, brass, copper. Some are expensive, but may be worth the effect, and finding ones with less "talk" might be worthwhile because they'll be less expensive.

Some of these are quite nice! Just keep searching, maybe for hours, days, weeks, months, or even years, and I'm sure you'll find your perfect coin(s).

http://www.dnecoins.com/
- Estonia 1930 2 Krooni Tallinn Castle BU
- Algeria France 1917 10 Centimes Token Zinc
- Brazil 400 Reis 1901 Scarce Type GEM BU
- Estonia 1930 2 Krooni Tallinn Castle BU
- Estonia 1930 2 Krooni AU/UNC
- France Sol 1791 D Loius XVI Nice AU+
- France Silver Jeton 1638 Caesar XF+ Original!
- France Jeton Bourges 1757 Bishop aXF
- Greece 1869 10 Lepta XF KM=$30
- Haiti Essai 1877 Mercury Red Proof
- Ireland Penny 1937 GEM BU KM=$70+
- Italy 10 Centesimi 1894-B/I Nice BU KM=$85
- Sweden Silver Medal 1815 Wetenskaps Hallmark
- Admiral Dewey Medal Cuba Spanish American War
- Portugal 500 Reis 1910 Marquis De Pombal BU!
- Portugal 500 Reis Silver 1899 GEM BU
- Italy Somalia Elephant Set of 3 Coins 1950 BU
- Sweden 1907 Silver 2 Kroner Commem GEM BU
- Sweden 2 kroner XF++ KM =$65
- Tibet Portrait Rupee 1905-12 XF Nice
- Korea Amulet 1800s Phoenix XF+
Dan McLean Jr
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
You could try out an Austrailian penny. They are almost the same as the english pennies, except they have a kangaroo on one side.
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Wow, thanks Dan! That's a lot of stuff. I looked at all of them. I had found a few of those. I like the Brasil and Tibet coins the best. Some of the silver have great patterns but---they're silver. It looks like it will take a lot of time, patience, and money to get enough of these coins in good condition. I guess I'll have to make due with something more common until I can find enough of these babies. Thank you again Dan!

Thanks also, Brian. I don't know why, but having a chicken (Irish penny), llama (peruvian coin), or a Kangaroo (the coin from down under) doesn't seem like it would be as impactful as the intricate patterns on the crowns. I think the intricate patterns almost help explain the magic to the viewer--or at least the less familiar and interesting the imagery on the coin--the more likely they are to be either a bit distracted by it or even possibly willing to suspend some level of disbelief that either I or the coins can perform magic---at least that's my nutty theory. I have found the people tend to be more dismissive with things they are more familiar with which is why I don't like to do effects with quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies and in part it's why I want to move away from the Kennedy halfs. Nevertheless, thank you *very* much for the suggestion.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 16:23, Chris "linkster" Watson wrote:
You could try an african penney ala Curtis Kam with a hole in the middle, or an Australian Penney with a Kangaroo on it...interesting routine themes with that one! else have a look at Mike Wilds sundragon magic coin with a dragon design on which I believe is about the same size as a penney..PM/E-mail him to get a picture...I'm sure Mike will oblige Smile

Those African dimes look interesting. Todd Lassen sells them with an expanded ]
Anyone know whether they have milled edges?
Jolyon Jenkins
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 14:56, Blenderboy wrote:
Thanks Backdoor. I haven't seen any English Penny that didn't have a sort of Goddess sitting on a throne tails side.

This is Britannia, the mythical personification of Britain. Invented by the Romans, popularised by the Elizabethans and then again by the Victorians.
Jolyon Jenkins
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
Quote:
On 2005-11-08 16:36, Blenderboy wrote:
The sundragon coin sounds interesting. I ordered his Tavern Magic Volume 2 several days ago. I have yet to receive the PDF even after a couple of e-mails. Could be on vacation or on the road who know. Still, thanks for the lead Chris!!

If you've not already paid you can get it from http://www.lybrary.com as an instant pdf download that comes in seconds.
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
Rjenkins the milling on the African is pretty good, I use mine regularly as a practice coin.

backdoor - Sorry not sure on the Slver Dollar Size although if you check on todd lassens site that will probably give you some ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half dollar sized copper alternatives (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL