The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » HowDini is retiring from magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Quote:
When people call you and ask "how much" tell them your price BUT that you will MEET any other performer's price for a comparable show. When they tell you performer B charges $99, tell them how you know that performer and that they have only been doing this for a year and they are not bad, but not comparable.

Sorry, Smoke&Mirrors, but if you find yourself saying all the above, you have already lost the show. I don't think this is a good way to handle a price objection.

Since Howdini has expressed that he is not looking for help on marketing, I've started a new thread for those who are interested in discussing how to avoid competing on price...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......44&0

Best,
James
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Why not admit it...the wife wants a sewing room and is tossing your stuff to the curb....
Steve V
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 17:31, James Munton wrote:

Sorry, Smoke&Mirrors, but if you find yourself saying all the above, you have already lost the show.

Sorry Mutton but your wrong (again) because I've used it in these exact situations he's talking about and got full price after all for my show.

Why can't some people just say they have a different opinion about something instead of acting like they are the master of this domain. You have no idea what is always right and wrong despite your posts. No one is. So lets just give opinions Ok?

Thanks
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Okay, Smokey, whatever you say buddy.

Best,
James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I'll have to vote with Smoke & Mirrors. With forty-seven years in the commercial entertainment industry and some of that as the owner of a personal management and booking agency for professional entertainers, I can't recall ever really losing a booking for contract price.

Standard "marching orders" for real booking agents is to change acts rather than reduce price. Then one of three things usually happens:

1. The talent buyer frequently agrees to pay the price anyway. (most likely outcome)

2. The talent buyer buys a completely different type of attraction. (No magician)

3. The event is cancelled.

Not every talent buyer is a prospect for every act. That's a tough fact to live with. Fill your calendar with bookings at your price. If you have an open date and feel that you need to work anyway, give it away free to a worthy cause.

People who champion good charities have other reasons to employ commercial entertainment. That's how I got my first national TV comercial. (You never know what else folks have and do. I remember doing a favor for a group of college girls in Texas once. Afterwards one of the young ladies came to my office and said, "My grandmother would like to have you do something for her company. Please call her."

Grandmother's company was called Gulf Oil. (Things worked out!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Bob,

I couldn't agree more. I never negotiate my price. However, I do have different options so that I can offer potential customers some choice.

I just disagree with Smokey's suggestion to say he will match any price for a comparable show and then tell them his show is not comparable so he won't match the price!

Best,
James
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thank you Sir James!

I'm no more offended by people asking if I would work for less than they should be when I say "No". Then we can get on to where and when. They sometimes just need to know.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 22:00, Steve V wrote:
Why not admit it...the wife wants a sewing room and is tossing your stuff to the curb....
Steve V

Before making jokes about what one's spouse might do it would be a good idea to make sure that the person is not deceased.
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
Sorry to hear this I'm sure you are a great magician.
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
HowDini
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of HowDini
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 16:36, magicguy67 wrote:
Sorry to hear this I'm sure you were a great magician.

When I put all my secrets to DVD next year perhaps I'll be remembered that way.

Thanks,
HowDini
Question: How did you do that?
Reply: No! How did you didn't do that, HowDini did that.
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 12:04, James Munton wrote:

I just disagree with Smokey's suggestion to say he will match any price for a comparable show...

Best,
James

Yeah, what a dumb idea. Only losers like the these guys would do that:

Hocus Pocus (famous magic retailer)
Serenity Health Care (large service provider)
The Home Depot (the nations 2nd largest employer)
Microsoft
Orkin Pest Control (a service provider)
Ted Turner Franchises (entertainment)
Some Major Sports Teams (entertainment)

I respect your opinion though.
Best of luck to you.
aaron
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
When I put all my secrets to DVD next year perhaps I'll be remembered that way.

Hi,
why don't you just keep them for your daughter raven?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

selling magic or magic dvd isn't very profitable if you have great routines surely it would be wiser to keep them for your daughter and enhance her livelyhood.
Phillip
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » HowDini is retiring from magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL