The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quarter through Soda Can Review(finally) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
Well, I don't agree with you Magicsquared. When I first saw this effect I didn't realized that a coin could fit in a can. I think Pete's(or Dean Dill's) addition is good. The only reason I'm not a fan of it is because I wouldnt have those materials in an impromptu situation
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I only base our conclusions on watching audience reactions and comments following (by astute magician's at Dean's shoppe)....

However... do whatever you wish, however you wish. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Kramerica2010,
Thanks for the lengthy and thoughtful review......it further solidifies my confidence in making this purchase.

-Brian
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
When a seasoned pro like Pete says something, it's usually a good idea to give it some thought. Remember, he's been doing this since before you were born (most likely.) Since the can was SEALED when the quarter went into it, I honestly don't think widening the opening to get the quarter out is going to make the people forget that.
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2005-11-14 22:53, Magicsquared wrote:

1) First off, it's readily apparent that a quarter easily fits into a wide-mouth can...

2) If you start pretending the coin won't fit through the mouth of the can then you're changing the emphasis from "quarter into SEALED can" to "quarters don't fit into soda can holes."

3) No matter how much you mangle a soda can top, it's [eventually] going to be obvious that a coin could fit into a normal can opening...

4) "Acting" as if a coin won't fit through the hole in a soda can doesn't make it so, and is so easily proven incorrect that it will only serve to weaken this great trick.

I totally agree with each of your points. Anyone who later tried successfully to see if a quarter fits in the hole would wonder what the heck you had been doing?????

Ixnay on the iersplay.
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
...quick observation is that yes, it is easy to get a quarter INTO a soda can. Is much more difficult (with regards to getting the right angle/grip/etc.) to get it OUT. Good rationalization for using a tool to grab it and pull it out, and plants a useful image in folks minds...

Just a thought

(and agree, when comments come from Pete, worth seriously considering...)
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 13:50, ScottLeavitt wrote:
...quick observation is that yes, it is easy to get a quarter INTO a soda can. Is much more difficult (with regards to getting the right angle/grip/etc.) to get it OUT. Good rationalization for using a tool to grab it and pull it out, and plants a useful image in folks minds...

Just a thought

(and agree, when comments come from Pete, worth seriously considering...)

But the trick you just performed wasn't a trick about getting a coin out of a soda, so why spend time proving how difficult that is?

The reason Pete is mistaken is that he is trying to throw some "proving" things into this effect that aren't needed and they weaken the effect. This effect is not equivalent to coin into bottle (where a coin appears in a place it couldn't fit), it is more equivalent to card to sealed envelope (where a signed card appears somewhere it couldn't have gotten in to).

Would you consider doing a card to envelope then pretending like the card didn't fit through the envelope's opening in the first place and you had to use a stick to widen the hole?

In most performing situations for this effect you will be surrounded by people who have a coins and cans with them at that very moment. If you try to prove something they can prove false within seconds, you're going to diminish the power of this trick dramatically.

I respect Pete but that doesn't mean he never has a bad idea. He has performed magic a lot longer than I have, but I have much more experience with this effect than he has. Honestly you shouldn't be removing the coin in the first place, just leave it in the can.
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Not trying to prove anything...just leaving an image in their mind. not going to jump into this anymore, just if you don't like the idea, don't use it.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Sorry Magic Squared but I really think you are offbase with that assumption. Biro not only knows what he is talking about BUT when he talks ALL seasoned pro's listen. He has not only learned from the very best, he has not only been performing in real world situations for more years than many of us ever dreamed of but he has probably forgotten more magic than you will ever know. If Pete Biro says that pliers are a good thing and that the audience reactions prove it, that is enough for everyone from Copperfield to Angel to Daniels. There was a reason that Max Maven said he had better things to do that arguing with a kid that has no credentials or experience because the truth is that nothing positive will come out of an exchange like that making it a waste of time, much like this has become. The simple fact that Pete even bothers to post in here should be enough rather than argue with him. The man KNOWS. PERIOD. End of discussion.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Whew... yah, and when I told Criss about it he agreed... but, if you want to be TOTALLY IMPROMPTU, fine, do it as written. If you want to test my add go for it, if it works better for you fine, if not, fine.

As Fred Kaps used to always preach, "Magicians stop thinking too soon." Ie: They solve it and stop. You need to keep working and refining and testing, testing, testing... and what works for you may NOT work for anyone else.

Most tricks done by customers never do them as well as the creators because they don't know what was totally in the mind of the creator, its hows and whys.

stay tooned and pop them cans...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
I have a problem..I have a terrible problem..
I can't drink all that beer Smile
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
LOL it will fairly al go into a large Glass. But it was funny.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I'm sorry I disagreed with Pete Biro. If anybody wants to judge this issue based on the quality of the arguments made rather than who made the arguments, I encourage them to.

For anyone who believes that you should destroy the top of the can to remove the coin I just have one question. What do you say when someone asks, "Why did you destroy the top of the can"? Remember, you're likely performing this trick at a bar or a party where everyone around you likely has a can and a quarter on them.

I especially encourage Paul Alberstat to answer this because apparently it's so obvious as to be beyond stupid to even question the idea of destroying the can.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Will someone please elaborate on what Dean Dill's addition is?

Thanks!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2005-11-14 23:48, kramerica2010 wrote:
Well, I don't agree with you Magicsquared. When I first saw this effect I didn't realized that a coin could fit in a can. I think Pete's(or Dean Dill's) addition is good. The only reason I'm not a fan of it is because I wouldnt have those materials in an impromptu situation
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I love everyone so I'm not taking sides. My thought is simply that the sucess of the effect depends on your ability to show the can freely and fairly after the vanish. With Wayne's handling you show all sides, and the top and bottom very fairly. People can clearly see that the can is sealed from the beginning. Thus, at the moment of the vanish, they already know you have done the impossible. So by the time you dump out the liquid, the climax has passed in my opinion. Showing the coin in the can is just that added convincer. I personally don't think pliers are necessary. I don't even see why it's necessary to take the coin out to begin with. As long as you can show them the initials while the coin is still in the can, why not leave the coin in there when you give it to them.
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
After you open the can..
Why don't you let "them" pour out the soda??

That should freak them out even more..
The can is in their own hands..
just a thought.
Don
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Did this tonight for my wife, who's pretty knowledgable (especially since we used to do a two-person telepathy act). When I poured out the soda and she saw the quarter in the can, she started giggling...and couldn't stop as she examined the can and realized she had not a clue. It was a pure joy to perform.

--Josh
matthew leatherbarrow
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of matthew leatherbarrow
Hi all,

I will start by saying I do not own the Quarter through Soda Can effect and that my comments are purely an observation of the topic/discussion. Anyway, onwards.

Leaving a spectator with a memorable image, as a damaged can most definitely would, is always worth while. It gives a point of reference that theoretically could be stronger than any effect. It’s no secret that memories of effects are often stronger than the actual effect, imagine having proof as well!

So, speaking purely theoretically, we must ask ourselves which image will garnish the memory of the effect most profoundly. The effect being a coin inexplicably melting into a sealed can.

Does a final image of an untouched can (coin still trapped) secure this memory?

Or does that of a ‘tattered’ can (coin freed)?

Given that the effect is about getting the coin into the can, does it not seem logical to leave it there? Why create that image only to destroy it?

All this said, theory and practice do not necessarily coincide. Perhaps in practice, the torn can just does get better reactions despite interfering with any logical reconstruction.

It seems the answer is not simple and taking sides inevitable. I hope this post has made it easier to choose yours.

Regards,

Matt
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Does anyone know what Matt's talking about??? LOL.
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Thesaurus much?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quarter through Soda Can Review(finally) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL