The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quarter through Soda Can Review(finally) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you look at the original video demo, the creator says something like, "Let the spectator tear open the top to get the coin out himself."

I had not seen that before. My first noting of the effect was seeing someone that had learned it perform it and that's when I came to the conclusion that it might, MIGHT, be good to have to enlarge the hole to get the coin out.

Again, try it different ways and find what works best for you.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Remember... I may not always be right... but I am never wrong! (Orben) Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2005-11-17 13:27, Pete Biro wrote:
If you look at the original video demo, the creator says something like, "Let the spectator tear open the top to get the coin out himself."

yes, let "the spectator" tear open the top if that's what they feel is necessary.
ScottLeavitt
View Profile
Special user
730 Posts

Profile of ScottLeavitt
Pete, I once thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken!
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3642 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Here's my final thought on this issue, and I think it's a valid one. If, at the end of the routine, the spectator has any suspicion about the opening in the can, you didn't do the routine well to begin with. The trick is getting the coin into the sealed can to begin with. Opening the can and getting the coin out is nothing more than the "proving" stage of the routine. Thus, why make a big deal of it. By making a big production of getting the coin out, you are drawing attention to the mouth of the can unnecessarily. Just my thoughts.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I was thinking the same thing as Petes' last post. Show the initials of the coin in the can. Hand them the can w/coin in it and let them get it out. You're done.
Magic is a vanishing art.
magic1178
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of magic1178
Howdy Fellow Magi, I have been reading this thread and think that there are a lot of valid points here.

In some of the coke cans I use(from Canada Eh) they fit with just a little push in the can(and it leaves no telltale signs on the opening),not that hard to get in the can,

buy very difficult to get out,let the spectators try it themselves,with out hurting themselves.

THen some sort of pliers,or better yet tweezers would make sense.

I also like the idea of letting the spectators pour out the soda ,that is a great idea,thank you,

I will give you a THREE tips, that I think are very practical.

They are .....CLub Soda,Club Soda, and Club Soda.

The attributes of this drink are awesome.

1 No matter how much you shake the can, it will not spray(unless you want to make it spray,but that's a different trick),I don't want any accidental spillage on me or my audience.

2 Even if it does spill,ITS CLUB SODA,that's what we use to get stains out,and most people know this.

3 It is not sticky whatsoever,it will not get your hands sticky and it will not make your audience's hands sticky either.

Derek

PS ITS also quite cheap.
Derek Johnston
brainman
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of brainman
Hi guys...I performed this piece on sunday in front of 300 people on a stage (!!)...it worked like a charm!
I ALMOST combined it with healed and s. but I could resist.
Best,
T
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of giochi
Removing the quarter with pliers is over dramatic and contrived.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Quote:
On 2005-11-25 17:49, giochi wrote:
Removing the quarter with pliers is over dramatic and contrived.

Only if you use Brand Name soda's. Try it with a Store Brand one and you'll see a GIGANTIC difference
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Believe me... I love the effect, but in my eyes the demo video is a give-away. I think every magician who knows some basic sleights will find out how it works. Still... the effect is amazing
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Well then I think you are one of the few that really knew how it worked..
Assuming you have the effect..
Don
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Wow, and here I thought there were three pages of reviews. I have the DVD and think it is a fantastic and truly impromptu piece of "blow em away" magic. I believe that one of the steps was to "make it your own". That being said...who cares if one guys uses pliers and another leaves the coin in the can. As long as everybody is happy with the way they perform it there is no need to argue. Can't we all just get along.

Peace,

Eddie
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I can only echo the accolades that this is truly a wonderful impromtu routine. I too performed it for the first time this weekend and it is killer. I love the suggestion of letting the spectator pour the soda out.

Thanks for all of the imput. I appreciate a healthy debate.

Dan.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2619 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Waiting for my dvd to arrive ! The video had me floored I have no clue ...
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2005-11-27 19:09, magicman1 wrote:
Well then I think you are one of the few that really knew how it worked..
Assuming you have the effect..
Don

I do not have the DVD but I'll buy it since Wayne deserves the money
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Where may I see a demo please, I have looked around?
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
763 Posts

Profile of Josho
Go to http://www.waynehouchin.com, select "videos," and the name of the effect is "sinful."

I just checked and it looks like the site is having bandwidth issues, but that may clear up by the time you check it.

--Josh
20 minute magician
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of 20 minute magician
With Waynes site troubled take a look here for demo

http://www.elusionist.com/audio/quarter-can.wmv
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1054 Posts

Profile of Nash
Been doing Sinful at my work this week.
Works like wonder. But there is some inherent pros and cons in this trick.

now onto the argument of "to use, or not to use" -- in regards to Pete's pliers idea.

I have to disagree with Pete this time... Leaving the coin in the can for them to keep makes a very strong souveiner. Using pliers is like running when you are not being chased, as well as destroying that souvenior.

And after having performed this in REAL LIFE situation, I can tell you it is unneccessary to carry a pliers yourself anyway..

BECAUSE, 90% of the time, peeps will destroy the can themselves after you hand it out. Somehow, they just REALLY WANT TO SEE if THAT quarter was truly, indeed, THEIR SIGNED quarters. I did this to people behind the bar, came back 5 mins later, the can was already ripped in half with the quarter on the table. They smiled at me and said "DUDE.. THAT REALLY IS MY QUARTER.. HOW THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT??"

THAT; however, both works for as well as against you.

Pro- if they rip the can open themselves instead of you. They are already convinced that the coin is stuck inside.
Meanwhile, if YOU YOURSELF rip the can open, you are running without being chased... suspcious aye?

The con of it though...

check it out, if the dude was smart.. like the following case.

this guy took the can, gutted the can in half. Took the coin out..
then proceed to take the top half of the coin..... yes, he tried to drop the quarter thru the openning. Then he just looked back and smiled at me like "he knew how its done".

you know the rest.

But.. that has only happened ONCE so far.
My theory is, if they really want to, they can always go down to the nearest 7-11 and buy a can of coke. You can't worry about peeps comparing the size of a quarter to the openning of the can.

If you want to really convince someone that the coin is stuck in the can, just tell them to rip the can open in half. Bringing in a pliers yourself is not needed.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quarter through Soda Can Review(finally) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL