The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any ideas?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mjackagic
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
12 Posts

Profile of mjackagic
I'm very new to magic and was wondering if anyone could help me??

A friend of mine is a magician. Every time I see him he amazes me with his tricks (or should I say 'effects!). He works mainly with cards and his repertoire is endless although I'm sure I've seen nothing yet. Anyway, next time he gets his deck out, I'd like to blow him out of the water with a few effects of my own but don't know where to start.

I suppose 'blow him out of the water' is a bit ambitious, but to be able to do something to impress him would be great.

Any ideas guys?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
There's not really anything that it going to blow him out of the water that you'll be able to learn by the next time you see him... unless you guys only see eachother every five months. I'm afraid that anything gimmicked, he will know, so you're better off trying to impress him with some moves or just a very clever trick.

My suggestion is to get hold of a copy of Royal Road to Card Magic, or The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks, or maybe Tarbell Vol. 1. And familiarize yourself with the moves and basic handlings taught in each of these books. Then start sifting through all the effects and find one or three that you really like the sound of and then practice those effects until your fingers bleed... okay, no bleeding needed!

Anyway, my point is that your friend will appreciated the amount of work you have put into learning a small routine. It will show respect to the art of magic and that could very well open many doors for you should you choose to study a little deeper.

Hope this helps,
-Reis
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hi mjackagic

I cant help but smile at your post. It reads as though you are a female newcomer which makes it even funnier. Welcome to the funny world of magic! Smile

Pop into your local magic shop and treat yourself to "The Royal Road to Card Magic" and a couple of decks of Bicycle poker playing cards (they are good quality for card magic) - if indeed cards are your forte. If you want to learn all magic, look out for Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic" Both books are very good value for money.

RRTCM teaches many 'sleights' and then offers a trick or two based on the chapter you have just read.

But for around £30 - you are all set! Good luck, hope this helps you the next time you are looking at his deck.

Roger

BTW - I see you live in Sheffield. There is a brilliant shop in nearby Wakefield, called Merlins. Check them out!
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Or There is a magic shop in Sheffield.
I'm not sure of the name but its in Brord Street.
0742 760482
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great advice you received there. there's really not much you can do.
try some self working effects. learn a few. there has to be something he doesn't know . or try some effects that are based on math. The royal road to card magic is a must anyway so get it quick and start learning.
good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
mjackagic
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
12 Posts

Profile of mjackagic
Hi guys

Thanks for the advice, looks like the Royal Road to Card Magic is the one.

Reis - you are right, it is an art. I video'd some of his routine the other day and although I've watched it a number of times, it doesn't get any less exciting. I still get tingley when I watch it.

Roger - Oh my God, I've just re-read my post and see what you mean - a few double entendres in there. Oh well, if the cap fits! Smile

I see you mentioned Bicylce poker cards. My friend actually gave me a deck (oops, here I go again!) - Bicycle Rider Backs - what's the difference? Should I buy the pokers or stick to his Riders?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
When I was starting out in cards, one dvd that provided me with much needed help was Oz Pealman's Born To Perform Card Magic. I'm a visual learner so this dvd was a great introduction for me to learn the core skills of card magic - some fundamentals, controls, flourishes, and routines - including the Ambitious Card. I hope this helps.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 10:06, mjackagic wrote:
I see you mentioned Bicylce poker cards. My friend actually gave me a deck (oops, here I go again!) - Bicycle Rider Backs - what's the difference? Should I buy the pokers or stick to his Riders?

Unless the cards are labeled "Bridge Size" the "Rider Backs" you received are "poker".

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-11-12 10:32, evolve629 wrote:
When I was starting out in cards, one dvd that provided me with much needed help was Oz Pealman's Born To Perform Card Magic. I'm a visual learner so this dvd was a great introduction for me to learn the core skills of card magic - some fundamentals, controls, flourishes, and routines - including the Ambitious Card. I hope this helps.

I don't own Oz's DVD but I can't say I'm all that impressed by what he teaches (from what is in the product description). I see he teaches the trick that David Blaine called 2 card Monte which is actually an effect called Be Honast (ethics alert). I also don't know if teaching beginners the Hot Shot Cut is the best idea Smile. Plus, If there are 2 magic shops near you (as stated a few posts above this one) you should try to shop there. As I stated earlier the ethics are questionable. Penguin is also not the most ethical shop on the web (see link in my signature).
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
You are absolutely right, Jeremy. Born To Perform Card Magic is not a stand-out by any means. Oz sometimes goes over some of the controls and flourishes rather quickly ; but I did learn when I first started out. The dvd sorts of propel me to the next level of card magic. Well, I discovered Penguin before The Café (and that was almost 2 years ago), and I did spend most of my available magic funds at Penguin.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mjackagic,
I suggest that you buy a copy of Steinmeyer's Impuzzlebilities.
In that book (about 12 dollars) you will find an effect called the 9 Card Problem.
Either your friend will be amazed or he will impressed that you know something.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
mjackagic
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
12 Posts

Profile of mjackagic
Thanks for the advice, lots of useful info here. Off shopping!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hey - let us know what you get! Smile
Roldero
View Profile
New user
Central Florida
34 Posts

Profile of Roldero
Just a thought here, but are you trying to impress you're friend by the fact that you can do a card trick, or impress him with a card trick he hasn't seen?

If the latter, and your friend's repertoire is as large as you say, he has probably seen all the card tricks you could learn in a short space of time.

How about trying some non-card magic, instead?

Mike
mjackagic
View Profile
New user
Sheffield
12 Posts

Profile of mjackagic
Hi Mike

I'd like to be able to do a trick even if he does know it, which I'm sure he will.

As regards the non-card magic, what did you have in mind? Would have to be something easy.

mjackagic
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
One thing I might add about cards...

If you have small hands (or in my case, short fingers and stubby thumbs) you might want to look at bridge sized cards. I'm not sure I'll have be able to do a taikei(sp) palm with a poker deck, my hands just don't fit.

Good Luck,
Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any ideas?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL