The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My advice on cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Magicians always give the advice that you should always carry some magic on your person. Whether it's coins or the sponge bunnies. I've found all I need is a deck of cards. I'm sitting here on a military base typing this and in my sports jacket- low and behold is a deck of cards in a card clip.

Here's my bit on cards,

1) They are universal. Everyone can relate to them.
2) Bicylcles are the way to go. Why? Slick finish. Good for just about every kind of move. Notice I said, 'just about.' If you want a good deck to do gambling moves with (second/bottom deals) then you want a Bee backed deck.
3) So much magic is possible.
4) They just look good. Ever see promotional photos of magicians? What's the most cliche photo you've seen? Ha- I've noticed a lot of one-handed card fans. Yes? No? It's a cliche prop as well as a piece of magic.
5) Always durable. Just plop all 52 cards in the case and you're set. I have mine on me as I type.

If you're going to do card magic; practice. Self working effects are miracles too. Most of the effects I do when someone asks me are all 'self working' in most respects. They are just as valuable as full sleight of hand routines could be.

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Toolman22,
Welcome to the Café.
And your point is well taken.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Trend and taste come and go in a cyclical fashion. The standard is Bicycle. No question. The Ellusionist's white Ghost Deck cards IMO are very unique and the design is out of this world. They are made from the USPCC stock, but they feel exquisite, more like Bees. Get yourself some Ghost Deck and it will grow on you. They should have a warning label that states " the more you use it the more you want it - it is that habit forming."
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
R_B_C
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, Texas
65 Posts

Profile of R_B_C
Having been away from magic for a long time, when did Tally-Ho circle backs fall out of favor? You used to be able to get all sorts of gimmicked cards for routines in circlebacks. Hate to admit it, but I still haved some 20 vintage decks from the 70's still unopened. I always liked the way the Tally-ho's seemed to hold up[ longer than Bikes. Suppose I must change with the times.
R_B_C
"If you can't convince them, confuse them." -Harry S. Truman
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
I actually like the size, feel and finish of the USPC Poker size Cards.
However I do not like the court cards. I prefer the French court cards, which are common in Germany.
Comparing both the English court cards appear rather geometric, gloomy and dull to my taste.
Furthermore people here are often not sure about the Jack, some take him for a Queen some for a King.

I wish there would be an upgrade pack of French poker sized court cards on Bicycle stock so that I could "germanize" a normal Bicycle deck.
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
Using Bicycles, at least in North America, usually suggests that you deck is a standard deck. Sometimes other deck designs may suggest a trick deck, but that shouldn't deter anyone from using Tally Ho's or others.
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I practice with different decks all the time, to really be ready if someone hands you deck of cards and says: "please do me a card trick".
shen923
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of shen923
Hello to all, my first post here. I've dabbled in some card tricks for awhile now, but recently decided to get serious about it. My question is "What size deck?" I bought some new Bikes bridge size, because I thought they would be easier to work with since my hands are not that big. I practice every day, have a great DVD from Ammar, but still having problems with the basics, pinky break for example. When I bought the cards, there were 3 to choose from, Poker, Rider backs and Bridge. Am I to assume that in all of the posts I see that recommend Rider Backs, that I am using the wrong cards to start with, even though those were a bit bigger then the Bridges and smaller then the Poker.

By the way I'm an American living in South Korea, they are really fascinated with some of the simple stuff I can pull off.

Thanks
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Rider back just refers to the design on the back of the card, it's independent of size. Bicycle Rider backs are made in Poker size (most common), Bridge size (short side a bit slimmer than Poker), and some specialty sizes that are uncommon outside the magic world such as Mini and Jumbo. Hope that helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My advice on cards (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL