The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Production of sweets or candy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
Occasionally I'm asked to do a children's show, which I always find very challenging and lots of fun.

Does anyone have some ideas for good ways of producing sweets or candy at the end of the show?

I'd really appreciate some of your thoughts and opinions.
Smile
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
One thing I do is use the Candy Factory in conjunction with a Dove Pan. I use the Candy Factory to produce enough candy just for me, begin to much, realize how rude it is for me to eat in front of them, then, put the remaining candy in the dove pan, we then say the magic words, and voila!!! … Enough candy for everyone!
Smile

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Silks to Candy in a Crystal Cylinder has been used by me a good few times, and the ability to have control over the pace you decide to lift off the outer tube is great for building up anticipation from the kids. They see the bottom but can't quite make out what it is but then - ever so slowly - it becomes visual and there is enough room in there to feed an army. (That's a lot of candy.)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
While "political correctness" and suchlike has got completely out of hand, it is still something that must be dealt with by the children's entertainer.
Make sure that it is okay for the kids to have candy; some may not because of allergies or diabetes; some may not for other health reasons; some may not because the parents don't want it.
Check ALL this out before giving out anything that can be consumed.
And, of course, those candies are going to be wrapped!
Smile
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
All depends just how much you want to produce but any good production item will do for sweets (candy). Yes, we give sweets - wrapped - the soft Opal Fruit/Sugarland sort. We will not give, or give on anyone else's behalf lollies on sticks or gum. We work on the theory that with little kids it usually ends up in the mouth anyway so rather give something edible than small plastic prizes. Most kids with allergies - nut - dairy produce etc. come prepared with their own drinks, sweets etc. (had one this afternoon). Diabetic kids can take sweets in moderation under supervision. Jewish kids above a certain religious level require kosher sweets (no gelatin). We let the parents buy their own, as even if you buy something without gelatin they are never satisfied!!
ruiefe
View Profile
Regular user
Lisbon
131 Posts

Profile of ruiefe
Nothing fancy here. I use the change bag to produce a small quantity of sweets, I begin to distribute them and after that I reach into my case and take the rest.
Sometimes I use my collapsible magician's hat with a flap (an assistant loads it after I use it for dressing one of the kids as a magician).
Be sure the production is really the last thing you do in the show and stay away from your table (or have all props out of reach) as you distribute the candy.
Dan Harlan has some ideas for productions in his "Kids Birthday Show" video/DVD.
Rui Fernandes
"Carpe diem" - Horatius
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Do be careful with candy productions. Once and only once, did I have a problem where a child was allergic. No problems, but still a concern when I was informed upon the production.

I use the dove pan in a baking routine (there are various published in "MAGIC" and the "LINKING RING".

The egg can is also funny with built in bits of business.

Cheers,

john
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
I sometimes close with the magic colouring book, and vanish the colours by pouring them out of the book in the form of multi-coloured candies like smarties or skittles. Usually I pour them into a bowl held by my wife / assistant who then distributes them to the audience. She hasn't been so willing to do this since being mobbed by the audience once trying to get at the candy, though...

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Like others have said, almost any production method will work - especially if you are producing candy! -
I have used the Square Circle, change bag, a simple production box, my hand (very limited amount of candy!), Dove pan etc...

Good point from those that mentioned allergies and religious views. Thanks for the advice Peter. Be sure to check these things before you arrive. This will give you a more professional feel, and save some embarrassment.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Rather than repeat myself go to:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......17&0

Mat
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Dove Pan and some flash paper will do the trick.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
I've produced candy in my show for over 8 years and the only problem I've ever had is being short a few suckers. I make sure that they definitely get one for them as soon as I can. (I keep a huge bulk bag in my case.)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The main things I can suggest is

a) Definitely get permission from the client (i.e. the person with the chequebook). Even mention in the contract that you will be handing out lollies and it is their responsibility to make sure it is ok, (i.e. pass the buck.)

b) Go with wrapped lollies. I would suggest boiled sweets or hard candy. The gooier, softer ones melt and cause and mess! (Australian summer?)

c) A Dove Pan is great, particularly if you can make the candy/lollies pile up over the edge and fall out on the table when the lid comes off. A half filled dove pan would be kind of boring!

d) Don't throw the lollies out in to the crowd...this will cause a RIOT! Instead, get the children to LINE UP at the end of the show (perhaps when they pat the bunny?) or maybe when they get a balloon animal?

e) If you are fat and/or have poor self control find lollies you don't like! (I know this is silly but I've eaten my way through my supplies on a busy weekend in my larger days!)

f) Ali Bongo has a candy cane device, which turns a Fantasio cane into a pile of lollies. Essentially, you put the lollies where the silk would go and this devices makes the change visual and stops the lollies falling on the ground.

g) Make the production GRAND and exciting. Imagine how a child would imagine lollies appearing from nowhere. I'd imagine them pouring from nowhere or piling up. Maybe its best to have heaps more lollies appear then you can give out so it appears as if you can make lollies appear ALL THE TIME!
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
I did a small show at my daughters school Christmas Party and I used a dove pan to produce a very full pan of foil wrapped holiday candy.
It was a goofy routine thought of that morning but seemed to go over better than I expected. I cleaned out my office kitchen drawer of condiments and started by first adding a sugar packet, some small pieces of chocolate, then threw in some torn up foil, a drop of food coloring and then started with the catsup, mustard, Arby's sauce, Taco Bell hot sauce… Each one brought a good reaction from the kids.
Then of course heated it with a match and flash paper and it went over really well.
I did check first about the flash paper and the candy was being given out for the party.
Sounds kind of goofy now, but the weird condiments seemed to strike a chord with second graders.

Happy Magical New Year to all
Nick Zender
Akron, Ohio
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I usually end up doing balloons for the last part of my show. Afterwards, there have always been a few busted balloons, either by my hands or some rough kids. Anyway I will always ask that the broken balloon parts be given to me so they are not a choking hazard to the smaller kids around. I store the balloons in my dove pan. Just before I leave I mention that it would be a waste not to use the broken balloon parts and proceed to change them into candy. It has worked for me every time and I have had no complaints so far.
Michael
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I always liked doing the comedy egg can routine and ending with the candy in the glass. It goes over well and is a perfect routine for audience interaction and a lot of fun.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
My new contract actually has a check sheet on the second page asking "can your child have the following" and a list of candy, chocolate, gum and the like. I have found quite a few kids with braces and other dental work that cannot have candy. It saves a red face at the show when you find out the birthday boy can't have the candy you brought him.

I usually do a dove pan with some fire and turn it into suckers. The kids love it!

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Dan Harlan's "Pack Small Play Big - Birthday Party" is chalk full of candy giveaways.
Smile
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1143 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I echo all the other comments with checking with the client prior to the show regarding whether it is ok to be handing out the candy. In the day and age of automatic lawsuits, you don't want to run the risk of allergies or diabetic conditions.

I will say one thing though, one of the best props I ever invested in was Scotty York's Candy Kiss Machine. I used it every night that I was strolling through the restaurant and would ask the parents if it was ok to leave the Hershey Kisses with the kids. I then incorporated it into my corporate strolling gigs. (Ladies love a kiss.)

As I was doing a Halloween show at a school one time, I saw the candy kiss machine inside my table and decided to throw it in at the last minute. After producing the kisses, I asked the teacher to let me know if it was ok to distribute after the show. It may be small, but played well in front of 235 students.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Production of sweets or candy (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL