We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Himber Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Anyone use a Himber ring routine in close up?
I had this strange idea of perhaps doing it as a close up effect with your own three rings. This may sound daft at first because part of the impact comes from the fact that they are all supposedly borrowed rings, but there may be verbal ways around that.

It is not the simplest task borrowing rings these days anyway. Not as many people are married for one thing, of those that have been for some time, some don't like taking their rings off or have difficulty in doing so! Engagement rings with stones in are best avoided (in case any stones drop out!)etc.etc.

Maybe you could initially take three rings out and say, "I am going to try a little experiment with these three rings I borrowed from people the other week. Of course if any of you would prefer to substitute your rings you can if you wish!"

The jokey remark in reality suggests that if they were to loan their ring, they might not get it back! A reinforement to people that might not want to struggle to get their rings off anyway. If anyone does offer a ring it can be used, in fact some fun could probably be obtained from offering one of yours in exchange for it.

At the conclusion of course, you remind them that they could have supplied their own rings.

These ARE just thoughts I am sharing off the top of my head. At this stage I don't even own a Himber Ring! But I would be interested in the thoughts of others.

Paul.
Perero
View Profile
New user
Skellefteå/Sweden
46 Posts

Profile of Perero
You have right about that borrowing rings is not easy, but my experience are that you should really ask the spectators if you can borrow a ring first.
And then if they don't have, or don't want to borrow you the ring (rings) then you could use youre own rings (that you of course say you have borrowed earlier).

You asked them first, and then used you own rings. It's like giving them the chance first.
I'ts a bigger impact of the routine.
(sorry about my bad english)
No the only Magician in Sweden, but the wurst
https://perero.wixsite.com/perero
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Paul,

If your performing situation allows it, the himber ring can be used to perform for a number of tables at once. I run into this at banquet situations sometimes, or in more informal restaurants. This is the ideal situation, in which you can borrow one ring from each table, and no one at the othr tables knows what the other rings look like. (Also, they're not going to compare notes later, when they go their separate ways.)

For less ambitious close up work, you might want to look up Scotty York's linking finger ring routine in Apocalypse. It's a perfect close up opener, since it uses the performer's rings. He takes them off to do the magic, and they link together. The spectators can examine them in the linked condition. There's no gimmicked ring, just two rings genuinely linked.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thank you for your responses. Yes, Curtis,I can see the possibilities with rings from dfferent tables SmileThe information given will now swirl around in my head for a few months...

The Scotty York idea sounds like something marketed as Lincoln Rings years back, and something I published with a ring and a small travel padlock (see the first effect in my Feb. 1996 Linking Ring One Man Parade).

Thanks again,
Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Himber Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL