The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Cigarette manipulation... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RobertoM
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of RobertoM
Witch is the best video for learn cigarette manipulations?
Thanks in advance.
Roberto.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Tom Mullica's "expert cigarette magic made easy"
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Encyclopedia of cigarette tricks
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Or you could go for the "Quit Smoking" DVD by David Stone, I'v ordered it and it's on the way to me. Heard a lot of great things about this DVD, so I'm really looking forward to it.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Quote:
On 2005-12-05 07:47, Eirik wrote:
Or you could go for the "Quit Smoking" DVD by David Stone, I'v ordered it and it's on the way to me. Heard a lot of great things about this DVD, so I'm really looking forward to it.

The DVD is great as is the main routine on it. A real plus is that it is performed with unlit cigarettes and the presentation deals with quitting smoking. I attended Stone's lecture here in Portland recently and his performance of the routine was very entertaining.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Thanks for the info Mitch, I'm really looking forward to receiving it.
I also ordered the DVD "50 ways to rock a lighter" I'm not sure about the instructional value of this DVD, but I'v ordered it to get some ideas about some Zippo flurishes.
In combination with some of the tecnique from the Stones DVD I thing I'll have a powerful cigarette routine to perform..

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 13:36, Shaner316 wrote:
Encyclopedia of cigarette tricks

An excellent book, however it can be cumbersome to follow at times with the pictures grouped in bad places, and the writing being very outdated. But, excellent book, if you're serious about cigarette magic.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2005-11-16 07:40, RobertoM wrote:
Witch is the best video for learn cigarette manipulations?
Thanks in advance.
Roberto.

There are a few resources that I like, out of the small selection of video resources. Really, you would be better of getting books. There are a ton of books with plenty of material on cigarette magic...Moreso than you would find on video and DVD. The most being Mullica's 3 volumes on cigarette magic in his Magic Made Easy series. Though they are only available on VHS, and are sometimes hard to find. I'm not sure it disitrbutors are still carrying it.

As for books, Scarne's Magic Tricks has a little bit of material on cigarette magic, and Hugard's Magic Manual has an entire chapter on cigarette magic. Then Clark's encyclopedia being the bible. A must-have.

And then there are the DVDs. Personally I have found the material almost non-existant. Which is a shame. Though not everyone likes smoking, there is plenty of magic you can perform with unlit cigarettes. And plenty of people who would find it entertaining. And nothing so easiy obtainable can be more impromptu in my opinion.

Cellini's The Art of Street Performing Volume 2 DVD has Cellini teaching a nice cigarette manipulation routine. He even touches in on tongueing cigarettes. About as good as the explanation in Hugard's Magic Manual. Clark's encyclopedia goes so far as to offer a couple techniques. Not to mention teaching you to talk with a cigarette tongued. I'm still working on that myself. SmileOne of the sleights Cellini teaches, I am not too fond of, but I did manage to switch up the handling to my liking.

John Rogers' Smokin' Candies Cigar Manipulation DVD will give you some basic sleight in manipulation. The DVD is geared mainly towards cigar manipulations but a lot of the principals are the same so you may get a lot out of it depending on what your current experience is with it. I'm not quite sure.

As I Recall (tribute to Tony Slydini) is a newer release. I have yet to read any reviews and my own personal copy came in to me just last week, but I have yet to open up and watch. But it isn't manipulation, but rather Torn and Restored cigarette versions. Hardly worth the price for that alone. Especially given that a lot of the older books will have a variation in it, not to mention a nice cigarette to dollar bill effect. Smile

Hope this helps you...

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
Thinking of getting the encyclopedia of cigarette tricks. Is it easy to follow? Its a dover book?
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2006-01-02 09:40, Joe Xavier wrote:
Thinking of getting the encyclopedia of cigarette tricks. Is it easy to follow? Its a dover book?

Heh. Once you first get started with Clark's book, you find it's one of the hardest magic books to follow. The writing is made a little deceptive so laypeople can't follow along, the instructional photos are in very awkward places. But after a chapter or two, you'll get the hang of the writing. The photos will continue to frustrate you.

And no it isn't a Dover book. It's released by Robbins (EZ Magic).

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Touchstone
View Profile
New user
Belgium
37 Posts

Profile of Touchstone
But is it worth buying?
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2006-05-03 10:00, Touchstone wrote:
But is it worth buying?

The book? It sure is.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
George Alexander
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong / UK
71 Posts

Profile of George Alexander
John Rogers has a very good dvd - highly recommended!

George
mackinley
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of mackinley
Tarbell has some good stuff, as does Deveen's "Expert Cigarette Magic".

I've just begun studying Deveen's, and I'm noticing that some of Cyril's beautiful manipulation routine (check it out if you haven't seen it yet) seems likely to have been learned/inspired from this book.

It's available on the learned pig website for free.
Mystic Sleights
View Profile
New user
Michigan
15 Posts

Profile of Mystic Sleights
Wow! This is great, I will definitely check some of these out!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Cigarette manipulation... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL