The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Warning: Re: Criss Angel's Quarter Thru Soda Can (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Josho, Mark Either one of you can PM me as well I will show proof of purchase but my aboe post should prove it. either way I would also like to hear this.. Still find it hard on Diet 7-up and its not the final step. its the scrutiny it can recieve for someone who goes home with it..
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
Paisa,

I PM'd Mark and when I get his reply, I'll pass it along to you.

As I see the issue with the RC can, yes, there's definitely a problem with the can being examined at home. But I think there's also a few problems with executing Step 5. One is talking (especially given the milled edges of a quarter). Another is time and effort involved in doing the step being very much out of proportion with the time and effort involved in performing the action normally (if there were no skullduggery involved). Another is the hand position required to overcome the obstacle being unnatural.

--Josh
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I thought The Effect Is Impromptu any Can & a borrowed Quarter ?????
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
The effect is definitely impromptu -- a borrowed quarter and a borrowed soda or beer can. The concern is that there are some cans out there for which the effect is less suitable (or not at all suitable). As there are many, many brands and designs of cans out there, and the creators of the effect could not possibly test the effect on EVERY can, there are some that may require a slightly different approach -- or that should be avoided.

--Josh
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
The best place to buy this is at http://www.mjmmagic.com
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2005-11-20 02:00, tophatter wrote:
I thought The Effect Is Impromptu any Can & a borrowed Quarter ?????

It is brother. Do me a favor name some of the cans that you may run into? Ill try to tell you if they are a go or not. Now again the ones that we have stated are doable I just wouldnt feel comfortable giving it away as a souvenir.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Good thread. I like the input that people who have this effect contribute. good vs. bad angle/cans/any other thing.

thanks guys/gals
Magic is a vanishing art.
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
Here in Canada a lot of the store-brand or no-name sodas are manufactured by Cott. I've discovered that they can't be used for this routine at all.
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
I've recently learned there is another can that since the DVD has been cut must have changed it's design. The reason I say this is because it's the one beer can that is recommended in the DVD! You cannot do this effect using the taught method with this type of beer can. If you have the DVD and look at the type of can recommended, you'll see what I mean.

Skarn
It's better to burn out...than to fade away....
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
I've used both the "round top" and the "square top" cans, and in comparison it really takes a lot of effort to get the coin out of "square top" cans. Which I think really cements in the spectators mind the impossibility of the entire thing Smile

The first time I did this I got a store bought (Safeway) soda, and after I did the effect, it took the spectators over 5 minutes just to get the coin OUT! Not because it was rattling around, but because it Wouldn't Fit through the hole! They actually had to grab and pull with all their might, and even then it took some time.

This truely is a GREAT effect that when done smoothly looks completely Amazing!
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Wow there are currently 2 copies for sale in the marketplace. that's quite fast for a DVD to be resaled

Get them if anyone is interested
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
First let me say that I love this effect as the handling is so natural and so well thought out. This is the way all magic should be designed.

But let me warn everyone that this effect is definitely not impromptu because if you haven't experimented with the exact type of can you intend to perform with, then you can get "stuck" and I haven't found an out yet.

It has been pointed out earlier in this thread that can designs can differ greatly and even the same brand of can may differ depending on where you live. The DVD claims the Silver Bullet beer can is perfect for this effect but the two cans I've experimented with here in Colorado and New York definitely do not work for the first phase of the routine.

The main purpose of my post is to inform those who own the effect to make sure to experiment with the exact can before attempting to perform. It will not be obvious to you that the can won't work if someone simply hands you a can you haven't tried the effect with before.

Here is a small sampling of cans I've looked at using for this effect. Remember, these cans came from either Colorado or New York so your cans of the same brand may differ:

Pepsi and Diet Pepsi - May work with increased difficulty, definitely not ideal
Coors Silver Bullet - Will not work due to problem with phase 1 of the effect
Bud Light - Will not work

Mugs Root Beer - Adequate
Tropicana Lemonade - Adequate
Diet 7-Up - Adequate

Diet Coke - Ideal, the perfect can!
Barq's Root Beer - Ideal, the perfect can!

Moral of the story (post), check your cans ahead of time.

Kudos to Wayne Houchin for a great effect!

** Bill **
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Diet A&W Root Beer--Won't work (phase 5)
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
The only thing that puzzles me about this effect is the vanish of the coin. Getting it inside is the easy part. But that vanish just looks so *** clean!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Get it.. It will blow you away. That part was the main reason why I got it.
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
I have performed this impromptu miracle five different times for various spectators. Every phase of this effect (with the added convincers)lead to an improbable miracle. tincture is so right. The vanish of the coin is so clean. I often let the spectator towards the end shake the can. After a minute or so of the spectator shaking the can, I often tear the can open to show the spectator the signed coin. Of course, I didn't get the reactions of those spectators who witnessed this effect on Mindfreak. They didn't scream, jump up and down, shout F-bombs. Instead, the various spectators that I performed had mouths wide open speechless, eyes wide open, and were silent with stunned expressions and shock. To see the shocked looks while entertaining individuals with magic is what I strive for.

Wayne Houchin, if you are out there, you sir are a genius.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
I have to disagree with the issue that this trick is not 100% impromptu, cause it is.
After you tried and practiced this routine with many different types of cans you will soon know what works best.
If a spectator hands you a can that you know don't work that well, you just request a different value coin.
I'm not sure which coin is "most similar" to a quarter, but here in Norway the 10.kroner and 1.kroner are similar in size, the 10.kroner being slightly smaller than the other, upon request I will first ask if anyone has a can, then ask for a coin.

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Lets pause for breath, is this effect really, really, this good? Really?
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Philippe,

The only way to know for sure is to perform it for audiences and to judge the reactions yourself. Even an effect that has great potential can fall flat when performed by one magician and can garner a great response when performed by another magician. Personally, I think that this effect has great potential. Intellectually, I prefer another penetration effect over this one but I haven't tried this one in the real world and until I do I won't know for sure which one is better for me.

Larry
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Alright so I gave in an ordered one. Thanks.

-Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Warning: Re: Criss Angel's Quarter Thru Soda Can (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL