The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Boris Pocus DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bryce
View Profile
Regular user
Oxon, UK
108 Posts

Profile of Bryce
Really enjoyed this DVD and the material on it. I had heard that Boris was annoying, but I found myself laughing all the way through! 8/10
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-08-18 21:08, jstone wrote:
This one is like a nun with her arm trapped in a meat grinder.

This is a great one! I heard Hawkeye Piere once said to Hot lips Houlihan that she sounded like a song bird caught in hot tar!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-09-06 08:40, Bryce wrote:
Really enjoyed this DVD and the material on it. I had heard that Boris was annoying, but I found myself laughing all the way through! 8/10

I'm with you Bryce... I thought it was freakin hilarious. It reminds me of when I was "just 2 years of age. I was sitting in the tall grass behind my father's gas station, among the broken bottles, tire irons, and corpses..."
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Just recently reviewed my copy of the dvd. His antics are worth the price of admission. Many of the effects can be converted to any performer's style or rearranged to produce an even more interesting effect. It is certainly worth having in your library.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
While I found Sankey's eastern European character extremely annoying, the terriffic magic on here made it worth sitting through.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-12-20 10:50, motown wrote:
While I found Sankey's eastern European character extremely annoying, the terriffic magic on here made it worth sitting through.

As much as I loved the effects, I Loved Boris even more!
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Acquaintances.

Absolutely superb.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Jeff,

That's the great thing about humor, everyone has a different idea of what's funny.
Different strokes for different folks.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-12-23 21:15, motown wrote:
Jeff,

That's the great thing about humor, everyone has a different idea of what's funny.
Different strokes for different folks.

Craig

I Couldn't agree more.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King

The Boris Pocus DVD is back and now comes with a booklet featuring 5 new effects:

Details here:

http://www.sankeymagic.com/detail.aspx?ID=48056
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Say what you will about the Boris character, there are some really good effects on this dvd.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
I'm still on the fence about getting it, but it does seem like something I'd enjoy.

Cameron, could you elaborate on the parts you thought were weak in the DVD? I usually like to hear the bad points first.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

I actually sold my dvd a while ago. Kind of regret it, actually. But it was at a time when I was streamlining my magic collection.

Anyway I can't remember all of the effects but most were very good. Lottery is nice. The clock thing is fantastic. Lots of good stuff.

I think the only problem some people had with the dvd is Boris himself as he is quite eccentric. I found most of it to be very funny. But some people felt that Boris got in the way of the magic.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I always thought Boris Pocus was very similar to the act Jasper Blakely does when he performs as Kockov. Wonder if this is where Sankey found his inspiration for the character.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3988 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Quote:
On 2010-09-04 01:13, Andi Peters wrote:
I always thought Boris Pocus was very similar to the act Jasper Blakely does when he performs as Kockov. Wonder if this is where Sankey found his inspiration for the character.

Don't you think this kind of character is older than that ?
Why narrow you knowledge to you magic knowledge.
Knowledge and cultural are outside the field, rarealy inside.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1473 Posts

Profile of jstone
Kockov was "born" in 1989 which is before Boris was "born."

However, Boris's accent and character (though not fully developed) are even older than Kockov. Jay's been doing that voice for years.

Also, I think parmenion's right, this is just a concept that both Kockov and Jay discovered that's already been around since before either of them were born.

When Boris first "revealed himself" to the community, it wasn't too long until the movie "Borat" came out. Many people accused Jay of stealing the idea from Borat event though Boris was "born" about 1 or so before Borat.

It's all independent invention.

By the way, if you don't own the Boris DVD, you really should reconsider. It's awesome.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

People who accuse Jay of ripping off Borat are grasping at straws. The two characters don't sound or act like each other at all. Boris is a bling-sporting braggart. Borat is a speedo-sporting man-child. They really couldn't be more different.

While I certainly think Boris was created independently of Borat, the character of Borat has been around a long time. The first time I saw Borat was almost ten years ago on Da Ali G Show.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Would it be possible to discuss more of the effects on the DVD, provide reviews, etc? So far I like the looks of the lottery one.
Darcy.W
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Darcy.W
I know this thread is old, but I already have 22 Blows To The Head and was just wondering which would be better to get, Boris Pocus Extremely Mental or Hemispheres?....
"I would much rather be hated for what I am, than loved for something that I'm not" CM Punk
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Both have some powerfully effects. So if possible I'd suggested buying both!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Boris Pocus DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL