The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How Many of You Have Been Accused Of.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2005-11-21 22:36, Clifford the Red wrote:

But no, I've never been accused of that. I have been accused of being wrong though ;-P

Likewise! :^O
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Boy, I would love a local B&M store. I can take an hour or so and go to Boston, but I haven't been able to find anything local. I guess I spoiled before when I had shops pretty close by.

I have purchased from the net because I have to. I would pay a little extra to go into a store, have something demo'd and after I purchased, maybe get some hints on performing it. Now, I'll set in front of a mirror (camera's on my list of things to get this year) and pratice, but it's not the same.

Dave
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Dave there is also a shop in Peabody mass and one in Watertown would these towns be any closer
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Hi Rhinomax,

Nope, both are further (at least I think Watertown is). I'm much closer to Providence than anyplace else.

Thanks for the info,
Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should add that our local magic shop really makes its money as a costume rental house. They are the largest one in the area. They also have a huge makeup department. They keep five seamstresses on staff at all times, just to maintain their inventory and to make new and custom items.

They have been in business a long time, and will continue to do so, I am sure.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
onebark
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
141 Posts

Profile of onebark
I am a bit floored about the comment of the store owner.

A statement like that makes me question whether this store owner is in the right business. As a business owner myself, my relationship to the general public supercedes any need to express my 'frustration' about the current state of the marketplace.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I could write for paragraphs about how much I love the B&M store "Best magic" in Anaheim California. It takes me about 20 minutes to drive there from where I live and it is so worth the drive.

They do make thier money probably from their costume shop attached next door, and they do have an internet site http://www.bestmagic.com. but the store itself it waht makes it great.

1. The counter crew are real magicians who can show anything you want.
2. The counter crew are friendly and personable people.
3. The counter crew are always up for a discussion on current magical happenings
4. There are always magicians popping in, famous or local
5. There are some regular customers that you can have friendly chats with.
6. They usually have what you are looking for.
7. Free advice is of course, available.

Now of course, with out the internet, there are people who would have a hard time stocking thier shows, but lets remember, the mail order business far pre-dates the internet. I seem to recall two guys names Sears & Roebuck who got quite wealthy over 100 years ago doing that.

I begrudge no one, especailly if you live nowhere near a magic shop, but look at the above to see what a great experience can be had. If I go in to buy a deck of cards, I am ususally there an hour or more. It is a great experience. (and addictive as hell)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
In the boston area we have access to a couple of magic shops all of them great 2 of them do most of there sales mail order

the best is Diamonds Magic this is one of my favorite magic haunts, the discounts are all the time here and the personality is what you would expect from a brick and mortor shop. I have met some greats in magic here .once a year they are a key part of a local SAM convention

Hank Lees has of late offered through email some great offers in overall discount I am not sure if the same offers are at the store. this shop holds one of the top yearly conventions where I have seen and met many great magicians.

the third is in watertown and is part museum part shop I have only visited once I dropped about $50 bucks

I guess my point here is for all these shops do I generally feel compelled to spend at least a couple bucks as I take up floor space.

if you are looking for whats new in magic without dropping a dime, browse the hundreds of sites on the internet, read Genii, Magic , Magic Seen, or go to your local magic club and you usualy get the low down on what good or bad
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
539 Posts

Profile of travisb
Doesn't seem too smart to me for a store owner to try to alienate a potential future customer. And even if the customer never does buy anything, what does he have to lose by treating them well? **** off a potential customer for no good reason and you might guarantee they'll never buy anything from you. Sure, if there are two people in the store and only one of them is known to buy things then that person should get the attention, but otherwise what's the big deal?

As far as I can see, as long as the customer isn't actively getting in the way of sales to real customers then browsing doesn't hurt anybody, and this store owner should find another outlet for his frustration.

-Travis

P.S. The "support your local magic shop" stuff is all well and good, but I don't think it excuses the shop owner's behavior.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How Many of You Have Been Accused Of.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL