The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Metal TT (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Is the metal TT still being sold today? Any dealer currently carrying them?
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Yes. I did a Google search for metal thumb tip to find the online dealer I got mine from. They are cheap but be aware they are very short in length compared to a Vernet.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 22:15, manal wrote:
Bob, Will you share which tricks those are? I have a metal tip I bought for cig vanishes but would like to get more out of it. Maybe cig in coat?

A metal TT is great for a dollar bill in banana trick. Have someone inspect and hold a banana. Tell them it's your lunch. Vanish a signed dollar bill. After your previously sealed envelope is empty, and your wallet doesn't have the bill, you realize you are hungry. Ask for your lunch back. Don't peel is, just use tweezers "cut" the skin, and pull the bill out. Then you can hand the bill and banana back out for inspection.

I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, but a metal one works way better due to stiffness and being shorter.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
In a bag of "accessories" I have in the Studio, I recently found a few of these, ranging from ones that look brand new, to some that have no flesh paint left on 'em. The short, very stubby ones to some longer ones that almost look like an entire thumb!

Steve
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2007-08-13 18:00, darrylasher wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-11 22:15, manal wrote:
Bob, Will you share which tricks those are? I have a metal tip I bought for cig vanishes but would like to get more out of it. Maybe cig in coat?

A metal TT is great for a dollar bill in banana trick. Have someone inspect and hold a banana. Tell them it's your lunch. Vanish a signed dollar bill. After your previously sealed envelope is empty, and your wallet doesn't have the bill, you realize you are hungry. Ask for your lunch back. Don't peel is, just use tweezers "cut" the skin, and pull the bill out. Then you can hand the bill and banana back out for inspection.

I'm sure you can fill in the blanks, but a metal one works way better due to stiffness and being shorter.

Thank you,and they won't be left with a coat that reeks of cig smoke Smile

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Tirofog has metal thumbtips that are 2.5 inches long.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Startoker
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Startoker
I've been looking for the old school short metal thumb tip. If anyone knows where to get one or has an old one laying around let me know. If the paint is scratched off no worries. I nest (they wedge into place & stay put nicely) them inside a vernet. Works pretty good. Lost the old one along with the vernet that it was nested in.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Startoker,

Try the goblin thumb tip.

http://www.morrisseymagic.com/morrissey%20closeup3.htm
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Just out of interest what effects would you use a 'short' metal tip for? I remember one time in a magic shop this old guy, showed me a old school small brass thumbtip he had, it had some tape wrapped around it to help with camouflage. But it was small, maybe only went just past his thumb nail!
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
For "metal" ideas:

Just buy Christopher's "50 Tricks With A Thumb Tip"

---written when all thumbtips were made of METAL.
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Yea, the metal thump tips from the late 50's and 60's were not long, tight fits too!
My first came from Jack Chanin at his studio on Chestnut or Walnut street in downtown Philadelphia

The world famous vanishing cigarette trick. That was a big thing back then.
rogerpierre
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of rogerpierre
I always loved Francis Carlyle's idea of tearing off the smokers end of the cigarette, handing it to them and saying "Your receipt!"
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
I would guess that cigarette tricks are not as popular due to all the laws. Would you ever imagine that smoking would be prohibited in so many places.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
In Washington state, it's a different kind of cigarette (the herbal variety) that is popular now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Initiative_502

Bring on your metal thumbtips. They probably don't even need special coloring since the audiences won't be watching that closely. Smile
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Holmfirth, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
One of the first tricks I ever bought came with a metal TT. Think it was Tenyo's Silk from Hanky. The TT was a weird colour that I doubt would match anyone's skin type, worked a treat though because it was so smooth and didn't get sticky.

Nick
www.darkartefacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted, bizarre artefacts and illusions. The Uninvited, Death Row Diner, The Koshkin Effect, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! My first TT came from Percy Abbott, about 1947. Percy was having a "sale", and I paid $.25 for it!

I'll do an archaelogical dig and pass along the name of the "inventor" or the TT. Jon Racherbaumer passed along his name,and I filed it away too well.

Someone above mentioned the GOBLIN TT. I sold my P&L GOBLIN TUBE to a collector eons ago. It came with a LONG TT and of course, was metal.

Hey...I think the TT "INVENTOR" was Robert Nickle, but don't quote me, until I check.

Robert SANDERS:::I have a complete set of the late KEN ALLEN'S "Pyromaine" act TTs.

I also have a handful of metal TTs LARGE AND SMALL. One of these days, I'll dig them up and sell 'em.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
james prince
View Profile
Loyal user
England
233 Posts

Profile of james prince
I remember working with the late Pat Page and the talk moved to thumb tips (I think he had just written a small book on them)

To illustrate a point he fished out his thumb tip, which was made of brass.
The paint has long since gone and the constant movement in his pocket over the years had shone the brass up. He claimed this gave him no problems whatever

Who am I to argue with a Master?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2014, james prince wrote:
I remember working with the late Pat Page and the talk moved to thumb tips (I think he had just written a small book on them)

To illustrate a point he fished out his thumb tip, which was made of brass.
The paint has long since gone and the constant movement in his pocket over the years had shone the brass up. He claimed this gave him no problems whatever

Who am I to argue with a Master?

Yes! Pat was a friend, and he KNEW TT's!

My first one (in the '40s) cost me $.25 from Percy Abbott, and the paint wore off quickly. There are plenty of "stories" of various old timers using TTs painted RED. I think Al Baker was the first to mention it.

I still have a small handful of the old metal TTs, and occasionally they prove quite useful!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
If anyone is interested here is where you can still buy a metal thumb tip.
http://www.etrickshop.com/thumbtips-and-......cessory/
The one I got is copper and painted flesh color.
John
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Metal TT (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL