The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mind Mysteries Volume One (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
Let me just say this, if you're a mentalist, you need this DVD. If you're interested in mentalism, you need this DVD. Everyone who does magic or mentalism needs this DVD! For the small price of $35 you can own one of mentalism and magic's greatest minds professional act. That's right, Osterlind tips the act that makes him five figures per corporate show from start to finish. I'm gonna review the entire set of tricks, his performance, and his teaching abilities. This is my first review so give me some pointers if I'm doing stuff wrong.

The Tricks

Bank Night: This version of the classic effect is amazingly performed and routined. It uses a TT, but it's kicker ending is enough to sacrifice to start your show clean. The best part is that at the end the spectator is left with yet another choice. The spectators are invited to switch if they like. It is just a really well structured routine. Rating: 8

The Perfected Center Tear: Imagine tearing up a piece of paper with a name of a loved one written on the inside, you then divine the name. The best part is that the paper is in full-view of the spectator the entire time. You can truly be completely surrounded and still get your peek. Osterlind really got teriffic reactions with this one and was the first really strong effect on the DVD. Rating: 9

Radar Deck: Like Kennedy's Mind Power Deck, you spread through the cards, four spectators each think of different ones and you divine them. Not only that, but you can tell them the cards they almost thought of. At the end, the deck is handed out to be examined. This one requires some preparation and you may find it a pain to put together your own Radar Deck. Osterlind sells these on his website for 20 bucks, but I find it easier to make yourself. This also is the hardest trick on the DVD only because of some memorization involved. Otherwise, you have an easy, wonderful piece of mentalism. Rating: 8

Watch Routine: My favorite effect on the DVD. An ungaffed Time Machine. You have a spectator write down any time, you then borrow a watch and have another spectator spin the dial, changing the time, they then push in the stem. You make a prediction on a slate. You ask what time they thought of and needless to say, the prediction's right. You then turn over the watch and show the other spectator stopped it at the same time. The reactions you'll get out of this one could inspire a religion. An easy, impromptu, mental masterpiece. Rating: 10

Thought Scan: Osterlind's version of the old Q & A act is groundbreaking. My jaw was left wide open the entire routine. The basic effect is a bunch of people write down personal info and Osterlind divines it. It left the spectators in the studio flabbergasted as it will any of yours. I think it's the second best trick on the DVD. He also teaches an alternate handling for those who don't have the materials for the Thought Scan board. Rating: 9.5

Magazine Test: Osterlind's version of the classic magazine test is one of the most amazing effects on the DVD. He writes down a prediction, changes his mind and writes another one. He then brings out a magazine, has the spectator find a random page. She takes a pencil and the magazine behind her back and draws a circle somewhere in the middle. The magician asks what card is in the very center. Let's say the word is 'Jerry', you ask if she were to pick a different word what would it be, let's say it's 'picture'. You turn over your prediction showing Jerry and above it your earlier prediction 'picture' crossed out. Quite amazing and quite easy to do. Rating: 9

Linking Finger Rings: You will need a Himber Ring for this. You borrow three spectators rings link them, let them examine them, and unlink them. The method is diabolically clever and with a little practice will become a staple in your performing repertoire. Rating: 7.5

Performance

In this DVD you will see Osterlind working the normal L & L spectators. The reactions they give are far greater than any other DVD produced by L & L. Richard Osterlind seems like a likeable, friendly guy who is just doing this for fun. He is not obnoxious in anyway and is one of the best mentalist/magicians out there. Unlike Max Maven (who is a teriffic performer in his own right) he is a normal guy who has this ability that other people can have if they give it enough practice Rating: 10

Teaching Style

The teaching on this DVD is exceptional. Richard sits backstage with Jim Sisti, adequately explaining every trick. He goes into detail on little subtleties that most magicians would leave out. Basically, when it comes to teaching, he is like the Michael Ammar of mentalism. He just examines the effect like he were Sherlock Holmes. His explanations are (in my opinion) the real gems of the DVD. I've also always thought that effects are always explained better if there is another magician, i.e. Jim Sisti, asking the questions you may have in your head. Rating: 10

Overall Rating: 9

Next Review: The Osterlind Breakthrough Card System Ebook
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
Nice contribution from a new user to the Café. Thank you and welcome to the Café. This series is great btw.

:welcome:
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Have to agree. A lot of guys just try to make shor t meaningless posts so they can reach ther 50 posts faster. Thank you and I love the series..
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
By the way, I plan to write daily reviews on magic products. This is the first I've done and I'll keep churning them out day by day until I'm burnt out. Also, coming soon I have "13 Steps to Getting to Know...", a weekly interview with a respected magician. I'm hoping Richard Osterlind will be the first to participate in this little thing of mine. I hope you guys enjoy the review.

Cheers,
mackmania
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." ---Joseph "the Amazing" Dunninger
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Mackmania,
Very nice work. And... welcome to the Café.
You seem to be a great addition.
I agree on your comments about Osterlind. He is a great teacher.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
mackmania
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County
137 Posts

Profile of mackmania
Thanks to everyone. BTW, Jay Sankey will be the first to take part in 13 Steps to Getting to Know... Although he only answered questions that deeply meant something to him, the interview was great. I'm going to get in contact with Steve Brooks to see where to post this and if there's a place to post my reviews, as opposed to bouncing all over from forum to forum. Thanks a lot for your positive feedback.

Cheers,
mackmania
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mind Mysteries Volume One (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL