The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How'd You Do That (again)? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Magi:

Yes, it's probably a misplaced post, and yes, the topic has been covered elsewhere, but with your indulgence...

Yesterday at Starbucks I did a very brief set for a couple at a table nearby...this was classic Street Magic, in that the encounter was entirely unanticipated and (from their perspective) impromptu. I ended with a Torn & Restored effect using a sweetener packet, set to some "time travel" patter.

The finale was well-received; the guy just stared at me and mouthed, "WHAT?" But he recovered and asked, "How did you do that? Can you teach me how that's done?" Ordinarily, I'd respond with a stock line, milk the moment for a weak laugh, and move on.

But this time I responded: "Yes, I could teach you how to do this illusion, but first you would need to learn to do a trick yourself, then show it to me, thus demonstrating your commitment to the Art of Magic."

He smiled and nodded, as though he'd understood my meaning. What could have been an awkward or resentful exchange became instead a moment of appreciation, respect, and (dare I say) Magic.

Leland
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
When somebody ask me if I can teach them about a trick, I say: "Can you keep a secret?"; if they say yes, I answer: "Me too!". If they say no, I say: "See! That's why I cannot tell you!".

Anyway, I think is one the best diplomatic answer you can say without be rude with your customer.

Magically.

Paolo Venturini
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Leland,
I really like your approach. I think that it demonstrates the "humanity of magic."
Thank you ver much my friend.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Yes, I must remember that. I love the logic. It is almost the same thing I told my son many years ago when he asked how can he learn more from professional magicians.
I said, show them what you can do and take it from there. It worked of course, they saw he was committed to magic and has been learning and swapping tricks and moves with the best of them.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
Mülheim an der Ruhr / Germany
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2005-11-22 19:46, Paolo Venturini wrote:
When somebody ask me if I can teach them about a trick, I say: "Can you keep a secret?"; if they say yes, I answer: "Me too!". If they say no, I say: "See! That's why I cannot tell you!".

Anyway, I think is one the best diplomatic answer you can say without be rude with your customer.

Magically.

Paolo Venturini

that's a great way! I will keep that in mind, next time I am again in such a situation. thank you very much!
by the way: of course the most asked question is: can you do that again? or: do that again! I have a lot of trouble in here. of course there are a few tricks which can be repeated, but 95% cannot or would destroy the illusion. what can I answer in such cases? I find it very hard because it sounds very unpolite and rude to say no or just overhearing it and go on. but espeically with a single trick you cannot move on. sometimes I say: you just wanne know how it's done and not see that illsuion again. you will destroy the magic this way, that's way I won't show it again.
most people say after my "no": you just don't do it, because you are afraid of revealing the secret.....
so, have you tips and good ideas for avoiding such uncomfortable situations? or have you got good answers for me?

thx alot!
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
No more suggestions anymore? Smile
"Dropping your pants while you set off flash paper may allow your pass to go undetected, but it's still not invisible." - Count Elmsley
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
I use the same line every time I am asked:

Q: How did you do that?
A: I'm not really sure.

or you could just say Magic, I used to say that all the time, but lately I have gotten more into mentalism, and I know that it might ruin the moment if I just say what they are expecting me to say ("Magic").
CyberMage
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of CyberMage
Quote:
On 2005-11-27 16:03, Memory-Jah wrote:
of course the most asked question is: can you do that again? or: do that again! I have a lot of trouble in here. of course there are a few tricks which can be repeated, but 95% cannot or would destroy the illusion. what can I answer in such cases?
When asked, "How did you do that?" I will usually answer with something like, "I just do the magic. I have no idea how they acutally work." It tends to give the impression that I'm not "doing" the magic, but rather the magic is happening to me and around me. Plus, it gets a laugh.
DAMDAM
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DAMDAM
When I’m asked “How did you do that”, I usually stay quit (moment of silence)… It gives them time to take it all in… I’ll look at them, look at my cards/ or coins. I like to see their reactions…. That’s when they ask “Do it again … Do it again”. My response to that is usually “I’ll show you something better then that”… and continue moving along.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
First, I say "sure." Then I either redo with another method or do something completely different.
Peace,
Parson(I'm just a boy who can't say no.) Smith
+++a posse ad esse+++
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Any other possibilities to deny a "do that again!" ?
@ parson or the rest: but how about a single trick without having a routine, like a triumph effect or dream of aces or hwatever can stand for itself. if they they you shall do it again. what is best to avoid any rude or unpolite answer?
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
I can do it only once a day and right after that I performed I forget the trick until next day so ask me tomorrow before I perform it. Smile When he ask next day you say it I did already today Smile
Memory-Jah
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Memory-Jah
Quote:
On 2005-12-01 02:12, laci200 wrote:
I can do it only once a day and right after that I performed I forget the trick until next day so ask me tomorrow before I perform it. Smile When he ask next day you say it I did already today Smile

hehe that's a good idea Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Once a day! Hey! That's a good one that I just might adopt!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
How about, "I promised to never do it more than once at a time?
Just a thought,
Peace,
Parson
+++a posse ad esse+++
DAMDAM
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DAMDAM
I find that just doing one card trick or what ever trick your doing, always end with "how you do that?" and "Do it again?".... So I always show them 1 more "different trick" and then.. I Tell them I'll show you some more tomorrow.... I don't want to over whelm you...
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
When they ask me to do it again I usually say, "Sure, this time I'll do it with coins (or cards or whatever)"

If they say no, just the same way I laugh at them and say, "Come on, you don't expect me to GIVE my secrets to you, do you?"

Said with a friendly smile it works every time.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
In all the threads related to this, I think there is a common thought (Aside from a couple "I'm right your wrong" posts that is thankfully missing from this thread).
Doesn't it stand to reason that it depends on your personality, the things you can get away with. I have heard so many responses over various threads that I loved, but I could not do, because of who I am. Out of them all I like Rikbrooks best, but I bet that many who would try that would have a grumpy spec walking away.
Lelands answer is thoughtful, I like it. If I gave that response I would probably have people thinking I'm just pretending to be serious, and they'd get worse with the questions.
I like these threads, when they are fairly civil, they give a guy a lot to think about.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
DAMDAM
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of DAMDAM
Hey, rikbrooks

I gotta say your is pretty sweet sounding.

"Sure, this time I'll do it with coins (or cards or whatever)" if they say No... then "Come on, you don't expect me to GIVE my secrets to you, do you?"

I bet that works like a charm ever time...
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
I usually say... Well, I wont do that same one again, but I'll show you something that will have the same effect. I then move on to whatever I like, and keep performing at just a little faster pace than how I started and the question was asked. This doesn't allow the time for questions or interuptions during the peformance. It's all in setting the pace, and keeping the show rolling.
If I only do one trick for someone, I always start by saying ... I only have time for one quick trick...
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » How'd You Do That (again)? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL